• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

is 680W enough?????

stainremover

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 19, 2008
Messages
2,840
I have a Hiper Type R Mk II 680W. Currently I am running:

Tyan Tempest i5000XT
2 x Intel Xeon E5320 1.86ghz
4x2gb FB-DIMM
4x160gb SATA II on a 3wae 9550sxu
Asus 3870x2
X-Fi w/ drive bay

My power supply powers the system fine (at least I don't know of any issues with it). I want to drop in another 3870 (not X2, just a regular 3870) for 3way crossfire and also pin mod my chips to 1333fsb for 2.33 ghz. I'm worried the two increases in power will be too much for my 680w.
 
It should be okay. Since you'll be running your quads at fairly low speeds, the power requirements shouldn't be too bad.
 
i just worry since i ran the thing using that extreme psu calculator, and i got allmost 800. (with aging on 25%)
 
well since you do have dual quad core.
instead of getting another 3870 why not look into a 4870x2 and sell ur 3870x2?
 
I think Digital Viper's idea is good. Either 4870x2's or 4850 in xfire but I have no idea what resolution you game at.
 
I think Digital Viper's idea is good. Either 4870x2's or 4850 in xfire but I have no idea what resolution you game at.

yeah, i hear this suggestion a lot. i game at 1680x1050, so my card is plenty for it. i got it for about the price of a single 4850 (169 + shipping at the egg). while i wouldn't mind an upgrade, it's kind of hard to sell a 3870x2 with all these posts telling people not to have one...
 
Back
Top