is 58c load too hot?

skyra

n00b
I have a E6750 at stock speeds with the stock cooler.

It is ~40c at idle and ~58c on load with orthos.

Is this too hot? Should I be concerned? =x

yes this is deffo too hot. try reseating your cooler.

If you are overclocking and have some extra voltage going to the processor this isn't really a concern if you have extra voltage and that's as high as it gets. But at stock it's a little high unless you are in a VERY warm room.

if you have a stupidly hot room get a better cooler.

seems like a bad cooler mount.. or either too much or not enough thermal compound was used.. all stock you should be under 30c idle and 40c or low 40s load for that cooler I would think.. or so..

when OCing with extra vcore and all you want to try and keep temps at or under 60c max load, imo.. under 60c is better because it gives you some cushon for when the ambient temp rises.. I think intel's official word is keep the cores under 65c max for conroes...

i remounted and now idle is at ~31 and load is at 52~

is this still bad? =x

well, the load temps seem a little high, but let the thermal compound "set" for few days or a week and see how the temps are then.. it's by no means in the danger zone, so should be fine!

They are a tiny bit high, but as revenant says, let it settle. They are better than your first temps though, they were higher than my E4300.

can someone show us how should the thermal grease be applied (1 picture): I have e6750, Arctic Freezer 7 Pro and AS5 and my idle temps are 34/36C, load temps 57/58C. When I stop orthos it drops to 36/38C within 10 seconds. These temps are from core temp 0.95.4, tjunction is 100C, vcore is 1.2875
Should I be concerned too? I plan to OC to 3.2Ghz.
Oh, and I'm NOT using the thing that decreases CPU clock when idling, just fyi.

yes this is deffo too hot. try reseating your cooler.

forgod sakes, did you bother to find out if he is talking about Tcase or Tjunction, how about room temperature is it 11C or 33C lol

58C Tjunction is well within normal operating temperatures of around up to 75C and 85C is where damage and thermal shutdown occurs. At 58C Tjunction his Tcase temp will be "about" 47C.

TAT measure in Tjunction, most motherboard software measures Tcase.

I oc'ed it to 3.2GHz. I'm 12 min into orthos, the core temps are 60/62C. Is this BAD for my CPU or is it just higher than normal? Please note that I do not intend to keep this CPU for longer than 1.5 years.

After that amount of time you might go up some more, but usually when overclocking I say that 66C is the max I accept as okay. If after an hour or 2 your are still below that you should be fine....gives you a bit of breathing room on ambient temperature and it's not like you'll be 100% stressing your CPU very often anyhow.

well in about half hour it will settle around 64-65c. Its a bit hot, but no game or normal usage will stress your cpu like orthos is. Plus your running on stock cooler so thats a pretty good OC and temps. If you feel like its still to warm, play around with the airflow in your case or try to reset the paste. Drop a bb size, or rice size bit in the center of the chip. I find this to be effective, but thats me. There are many other ways you can do it, it wouldn't hurt to try again.

Yeah I might as well do that. It's just that I HATE removing all the cables.
btw. i used a credit card to spread out the as5, I really made it as thick as possible but there were some blank spots around the edges (does it really matter? the cores are in the centre anyway)

Yeah I might as well do that. It's just that I HATE removing all the cables.
btw. i used a credit card to spread out the as5, I really made it as thick as possible but there were some blank spots around the edges (does it really matter? the cores are in the centre anyway)

Actually you want as thin a layer as you can that doesn't leave any blank spots. Too thick is not good. I think those temps are reasonable enough that I personally wouldn't bother trying to fiddle with it anymore. As long as it doesn't lock up, it is probably good to go.

i went out and got a 9500 =d

now my idle temps are reading at ~20 and load temps with orthos at ~40

i went out and got a 9500 =d

now my idle temps are reading at ~20 and load temps with orthos at ~40

Those are good, and as the above poster said you want a very thin layer covering the whole core. Temps will go down a few degrees as the paste settles

Actually you want as thin a layer as you can that doesn't leave any blank spots. Too thick is not good. I think those temps are reasonable enough that I personally wouldn't bother trying to fiddle with it anymore. As long as it doesn't lock up, it is probably good to go.

Oh, my bad (my 4am-brain-not-working-ok-anymore mistake). I did make it as thin as possible so it looks like it's painted, just need to take care of the blank spots.
edit: I didnt clean the IHS/HS. There was a thermal compound on the HS which I removed (with paper tissue, uh) and then applied AS5 on the IHS. Could this be the source of my "problem"?

edit: I didnt clean the IHS/HS. There was a thermal compound on the HS which I removed (with paper tissue, uh) and then applied AS5 on the IHS. Could this be the source of my "problem"?

Ideally you'd want to clean the core with alcohol or something similar, but as long as you wiped off all the paste it shouldn't cause any serious problems.

58*C load is not too hot. I load in the mid-60*Cs, idle around 40*C.

Could you do better? Yes, but don't trip about a few deg. CPUs are more durable than most ppl think.

58 degrees celsius equals 136.4 degrees farenhite(can't spell tonight) so no real big deal.:D

As Battleneter2 pointed out, most temperature reading software will tell you the TCase value which can be up to 20C different from Tjunction.
If your temp reading is unreasonably low, its either the wrong sensor or is actually Tjunction - I havent come across the latter though.
For safety its a good idea to stay 20C+ below the Tjunction temp.
If your Tjunction is 85C, you are risking the life of your CPU and future overclocking by running it hotter than 65C.
Thats the basics.

I like to keep the CPU below 55C unless there are major clocking gains to be had, in which case I allow up to 65C.
Its not to say that your CPU wont last if you take it to say 70C but you are taking a risk as not all chips are equal.

my e6750 is now running at 3.2ghz with vcore of 1.25

sitting idle ~35c and load with orthos ~50c

my heatsink fan is intaking from the back of the case.. would it help my temps if i add another intake fan at the back of the case?

Back