Is 500 watts enough?

Sirk1000

Limp Gawd
first id like to post my voltages

3.3v rail is at 3.28
5v rail is at 5.07
12v rail is 11.72

im currently running a q6600 @3.6ghz (G0)
an 8800gt
got one hard drive
one water pump
2 dvd burners

When my computer is fully loaded cpu and gpu all i can smell is my power supply.
(smells like melted soder)
And i notice there is some stability issues @3.6. 100% positive its not my cpu.
so all and all do i need a new power supply ?
if so what would you guys recommend? lets not get crazy on price

Umm...Yea time for a new and better supply. The 8800GT requires 26A on the 12V all by itself. How long have you been running like this? I wouldn't run that machine for another second for fear of damaging the video card.

If you can smell your PSU, i'd say yes.. You do have a higher then average computer.. With a PSU that's ~70% eff. at 500w.. You may be pushing it. I'd recommend either i high end Corsair 520w, or a lower end 600w.

I always go by the theory the PSU can take anything else out, so I'm willing to spend $100 or so to protect the other 900$ in compoents

Thanks for all the replies guys.
So i think im going to buy the corsair 750 tx.

Ok I can admit when I'm wrong, I misread the specs, but ya don't have to be rude about it.

Don't you think that's a bit excessive for one video card, or are you getting it for a rock bottom price?

I have a liberty 500 for the system in my sig, with an antec 900(1 200mm 3 120mm led fans) 5 500gb hds, 8800gt, q6600 @ 3.6, Auzentech xfi, x38 board.

also I ran the same system but with a 680i, 2 8800GTS 640m sli, and a 6420 @ 3.2ghz, 4gb of ram. ^^

for your system a 520 is more then enough, if you plan on getting another vcard or more hds then maybe a 600, but 750 unless you go with 2 8800gtx cards instead is a big waste for you, 600W should be extra enough ^^ (like a Corsair HX620)

I would stick with the 750w. The price difference is almost negligible, then if you do go to an SLI setup with some GTXs you won't have to drop another ~$130 on another supply.

power supplies last along time. I would buy a larger than needed unit for those eventual future upgrades. Buy it once you will save in the long run

power supplies last along time. I would buy a larger than needed unit for those eventual future upgrades. Buy it once you will save in the long run

I agree. It is a good idea to buy more than you need before you need it. Nothing worse than doing an upgrade later on only to find out that your PSU isn't powerful enough for the system.

Back