Is 4K what matters?

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
I keep looking at SSD benches, trying to compare my C300 256GB with the Vertex 3's..

And what I see is that their Sequential speeds are higher - but I understand that that doesn't really matter..

But also their 4K speeds. My drive gets 68-75MB/s 4K Write. Both the 120GB and 240GB Vertex 3's get 90MB/s+.

However, my 4K:4 and 4K:32 performance is still higher than both..

So, which drive is faster? And if it is the Vertex 3, does that mean that 4K is what counts?

If so, then wouldn't RAID 0 be a standard for SSDs, since it has an equal effect on 4K as it does on sequential?

I keep looking at SSD benches, trying to compare my C300 256GB with the Vertex 3's..

And what I see is that their Sequential speeds are higher - but I understand that that doesn't really matter..

But also their 4K speeds. My drive gets 68-75MB/s 4K Write. Both the 120GB and 240GB Vertex 3's get 90MB/s+.

However, my 4K:4 and 4K:32 performance is still higher than both..

So, which drive is faster? And if it is the Vertex 3, does that mean that 4K is what counts?

If so, then wouldn't RAID 0 be a standard for SSDs, since it has an equal effect on 4K as it does on sequential?

As far as i'm aware the 4k write performance is the most important thing for operating system responsiveness and common routine O/S writes and logging. So a drive with excellent 4k performance like an intel or crucial c3 would be an ideal OS boot drive, while other specific programs that mainly write larger sequential files such as virtualdub or a game loading a big map, then a drive like the M4 would be more appropriate. This is just going off what ive read in various reviews. I haven't done any testing personally.

In any case, I don't think you'd see the difference in real world use anyway - and I certainly wouldn't trade in a Crucial drive for an OCZ one on reliability grounds alone.

None of the niggling over current gen SSD specs will mean 2 hoots in real world performance. Certain specs may give a slight advantage to certain tasks, but in the big scheme of things you will see no noticable difference in your daily computing.

If you are a benchmark hound and like to argue with your buddies, by all means do your research. Otherwise, shop for the best price from some of the drives that are near the top of the benchmark charts, and get back to important things like gaming and scoping out pron. :p

Don

Back