Is 4GB (P55 build) enough for gaming?

Jumpem

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't go over ~1.5GB with light multitasking, so the only demanding thing would be gaming.

Will 8GB show any real improvement?

What operating system are you using? If it's 32 bit, it's not even worth going over 4 GB.

Quote:
No, you need at least 12GB of ram if you don't want to lag.

lol,your funny.

For current gen games, 4GB is enough. 6GB is great (if you were on LGA1366). 8GB is a little better for some games. 2 sets of 4GB shouldn't be too costly if you want to go that route. 4GB sticks are a ripoff.

Hell, 2GB is enough for all but a handful of niche titles. I don't know if it's because developers really don't need more than that with the current level of engine technology or because 32-bit Windows is still the norm and no one app can have more than 2GB addressable RAM anyway.

With the price of most RAM kits now, I can't think of any reason why not to get 4 or 8 gigs. Really, with a 64bit OS, and if you want to hold on to your rig for sometime. The way I see it you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

I just switched to DDR3 and held off on getting 8GB for one simple reason - 2GB sticks are on the way out. I had 8GB on my DDR2 setup, but aside from occasionally screwing around with VMs or RAMdisks, I never really felt I "needed" it.

By the time I do, I expect 4GB sticks will be much more common and affordable.

Yea 4gb should be plenty at the least, though since you said you will be going win 7 64. Get what you can if you have the cash to spend. 4gb min for a core i5/7 system i would suggest though.

I'm only using 2GB atm in Win 7 and its plenty for even gaming. Though i am using the 32bit version, can't wait to get better ram and upgrade to the 64 bit.

Last edited:
4GB sticks are showing up?

[Homer Simpson]mmmmm... 24GB.... agaghghaghga[/Homer Simpson]

Oh and some of you need to stop being h8terz yo.

lol.

Hell, 2GB is enough for all but a handful of niche titles. I don't know if it's because developers really don't need more than that with the current level of engine technology or because 32-bit Windows is still the norm and no one app can have more than 2GB addressable RAM anyway.

This is really pretty much true. In my last machine (C2D @ 2.66ghz + 8800GTX) I only saw tiny improvements in most games, if any. Unless you're playing one of a handfull of games, like GTA4, even going from 2 to 4 is not that big of a deal.
That said, 4GB of RAM is cheap for most configurations...might as well go for it.

i went from 2 to 4G awsome jump, 4 to 8g, no performance gain and seldom go over 4G unless i am doing a crap load of work.

Back