• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is ~450w enough for this?

Joined
Apr 25, 2007
Messages
526
I'm planning on building a computer for my parents for Christmas, something along these lines:

AMD X4 630
~785G mobo with a 4200 or better IGP (possibly snag them a random 4350 etc. for $15)
1 TB HDD
1x DVD-rw
4gb of RAM


And that's about it... They don't game outside of flash based stuff, the most intense thing would possibly be playing high def video, though I'm 99.99% sure even the 4200 IGP would chew through that.

So, would a quality 400-450w PSU fit the bill? Obviously not going to OC anythign either. I'm thinking a corsair 450w, or an antac EA430.

http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=32664&adid=9140145&subid=29069064&type=

^is that as smoking of a deal as it looks?
 
how is that antec PSU in the link? Is it as nice as their new line? $25 is really cheap if so...
 
Agreed that is plenty without a high end GPU.

For example at work I have an HP 150f with an i7 860 CPU, 8GB of DDR3, GeForce 230 with 1.5GB video ram, a 1TB HD and 3 NICs (wireless, gbit, 100 mbit) and the system came with a 350W power supply.
 
Last edited:
Get 300-350W psu for this setup.

450W Chieftec by Delta can run the system like one i have in sig.
 
i would get a 500w corsair. 450 is fine but more watts the more efficient. also i would give them one my spare 500gb and keep the 1tb =P i really dont like 80mm or earthwatts, prob just me tho a TON of people recommend them
 
i would get a 500w corsair. 450 is fine but more watts the more efficient. also i would give them one my spare 500gb and keep the 1tb =P i really dont like 80mm or earthwatts, prob just me tho a TON of people recommend them

350W PSU@150W load should be more power efficient then 500W PSU@150W load
 
wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I'll snag the EA 430D if Fry's has any left, for $25 can't beat that. My fingers are crossed, with my luck they'll be OOS.
 
i would get a 500w corsair. 450 is fine but more watts the more efficient. also i would give them one my spare 500gb and keep the 1tb =P i really dont like 80mm or earthwatts, prob just me tho a TON of people recommend them

Funny...I own an Antec Neo550HE PSU with just an 80mm exhaust fan & it runs cool & it;s super quiet! Sometimes just an 80mm fan is just fine.
 
Funny...I own an Antec Neo550HE PSU with just an 80mm exhaust fan & it runs cool & it;s super quiet! Sometimes just an 80mm fan is just fine.

maybe peoples super quiet opinion are diff, also maybe a 100 watt used might not make the psu need much cooling no idea but i do know 80mm pushes less air than 120mm at same rpm so logic says 120-140mm is quieter
 
maybe peoples super quiet opinion are diff, also maybe a 100 watt used might not make the psu need much cooling no idea but i do know 80mm pushes less air than 120mm at same rpm so logic says 120-140mm is quieter
For a given amount of airflow, a 120mm fan will generally be quieter than an 80mm fan. However, the real question is whether or not the 80mm fan is already quiet enough.
 
This is my 5th build & only somewhat recently has PSU's manufacters been using 120mm+ fans & up. See my specs....Not exactly bleeding-edge anymore...but I o/c my video card a tad & my Antec Neo550HE is super silent!!!! I have a very, very quiet case to begin with!

I'm not sure what Antec put inside my (80mm fan) PSU. It must be a double ball-bearing high quality fan. The noise I hear from my rig is the two Vantec 92mm fans in the front. The Neo550HE is a really solid PSU!!!!!
 
Back
Top