Is 400W enough??

RancidWAnnaRIot

EspantaPajaros
hello,

1). can someone link me to a good power consumption calculator??

2) what do you guys think? is this enough power for what i want to power.. lol..

I currently have a 400W vantec ION supply.

this is what it powers:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
1 gig (2x512) of geil PC 3200 RAM
Barton core 2500+ @ 3200+
i use both onboard LAN connections.. one to connect my DSL the other to bridge the internet connection to my laptop.
Creative audigy Gamer sound card
RADEON 8500LE
80 gig 7200 RPM western digital drive (model WD800JB), with a vantec HDD cooler
3 80mm case fans
CD-W
DVD player
Floppy
VANtec fan controller and 3 temp probe units

here is what i want to add to it:

RADEON 9800pro (and overclock it with a VGA silencer)
Highpoint PCI RAID controller
another 80 gig 7200 RPM western digital drive (model WD800JB), with a vantec HDD cooler (to set up a RAID 1)

some other things i might do in the future..

add another geil 512 stick (do you guys think there will be a time when 1.5 gigs is needed?)
add a vantec PCI fan. It's that fan that goes in a PCI slot and blows air towards your vid card.

a 400 watt should be fine cause i got 2 80 gig drives a floopy and a dvd with 3 case fans and X800xt

humm i feel like i might be riding on the edge.. but it seems like i should be fine.... but if i add any more after i do add what i posteed.. it looks like i might have to go a bit bigger... i think.. what do you guys think?

my friend has a 350W running a DVD ROM, DVD burner, Cd burner, 4 hard drives and shit load of fans..

400W is more than enough for that setup

Provided it's not 400 watts of POWMAX, TH, Cheong Wah or Deer watts, then it'll be OK.

A7N8X Deluxe 1.04
2500+ barton @ 200FSB
1 GB RAM
9800Pro
2x 80GB Maxtor
1x 160GB Maxtor
16x CD burner
16X DVD rom
PCI ATA card
5 case fans
onboard sound/LAN

running fine on AOpen 300W case PS

Indeed.. I find that people have a tendency to go overboard with PSUs.. most is probably for bragging rights.. tis still overkill.
I would acatually like to see a system that absolutely requires 400W. even 350.. chances are they aren't the typical desktop computer.. probably an overkill/bragging rights computer
I could see some dually systems/workstations/fileservers needing some heft int he PSU area.

Paragon said:
Indeed.. I find that people have a tendency to go overboard with PSUs.. most is probably for bragging rights.. tis still overkill.
I would acatually like to see a system that absolutely requires 400W. even 350.. chances are they aren't the typical desktop computer.. probably an overkill/bragging rights computer.
The term "bragging rights" is what somebody else may consider "cutting edge" or "buying only the best" or "stable" in regards to psu's. I highly doubt those who buy >400w units in this forum are trying to brag ;)

People may be anticipating greater future power requirements or may just want extra juice to power an insane overclock ;)

Paragon said:
I would acatually like to see a system that absolutely requires 400W. even 350.. chances are they aren't the typical desktop computer.. probably an overkill/bragging rights computer
I could see some dually systems/workstations/fileservers needing some heft int he PSU area.

my dual barton 2500+'s @ 2800+ with 3x 15k scsi drives and all sorts of other goodies warms up my 550watt psu quite a bit actually :cool:

FLECOM said:
my dual barton 2500+'s @ 2800+ with 3x 15k scsi drives and all sorts of other goodies warms up my 550watt psu quite a bit actually :cool:
Actually, most "550W" PSUs don't deliver anywhere near 550W in real-life operating temperatures - in fact, the average "550W" PSU, even from a first-tier brand, actually delivers only 360W to 370W uner typical operating temperatures of ~40°C/~104°F. (The 550W rating was derived at an unrealistically low operating temperature of only 25°C/77°F, which requires a system temperature lower than 15°C/59°F in order for the PSU to achieve.)

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
interesting.. so how much power does the usual top dog PSU deliver in the real world?
Sadly, almost every brand of "550W" PSUs rate their wattage at an unrealistically cool internal operating temperature, as well - they all deliver less than 380 real watts. The only brand that I know of that rates the wattage of their PSUs at typical internal operating temperatures is PC Power & Cooling: Their 510W TurboCool Deluxe model really delivers 510 watts under average conditions.

I hear a lot about PC power and cooling.. whenever i'm in the market for a new PSU i think i'm gonna go with them.. though they cost an arm and a leg. i'm sure it's worth it..

Back