Is 37inch LCD-TV too big as a computer monitor?

Howie

Limp Gawd
I'm consdering getting a 37in LCD-TV for use as a computer monitor. 32inch is probably the better size but the price difference between 37inch and 32inch is small. I am worried about the sheer size of it though as well as image quality. Would i notice a significant difference in IQ betweena 32inch LCD-TV and a 37inch one?

As a current user of a Westinghouse 37W3 37" 1080P monitor, and have been for 3+ years now, I can fully recommend using a 37" monitor as your main computer monitor without reservations.

5" inch difference? Not really. The 32" lcd/tv maybe have a crappier image quality than the 37". It depends on the tv you get. At first, it would be overwhelming in size depending on what monitor you currently use or was using but, you will adjust to the size and get use to it.

I've been looking at the Panasonic L37S1 and the L32S1. I can get the 37inch for only a bit more than the 32inch and that's why I'm seriously considering the 37inch. Just seems like a better deal but I'll be sitting 2-3ft away from the monitor.

My primary use will be surfing the web such as these forums and PC gaming. Obviously having a 37inch tv is more versatile as it can easily be moved into the bedroom or something.

Not at all , I still use my Samsung 40 inch A650 for all kinds of stuff on my computer (which serves as a HTPC when I want it to) and it works and looks great.

If you do plan on using such a TV as a monitor make sure it's a 1080p set. Or if you have a 720p (1,366x768... yeah, I know, but that's a different topic) unit make sure it has a VGA or DVI input or you'll have poor image quality. I know this first-hand because sending a 720p signal through HDMI on my 32" 720p TV presents an image that just isn't very good for reading smaller text.

I would probably say that depends how close to it you sit, I could not see myself having a 37" or even a 32" tv tbh as I sit Very close to my monitor, even getting a 24" is probably a stretch in size for me but this has to do with how I have my computer set up so it's going to be different for you... So what am I trying to say? You don't wanna be sitting Really close to a big screen like that, also if resolution matters much to you then you will definitely wanna get a 1080p one as I could NOT stand using a 1360x768 resolution for everyday work... Hell I even feel cramped in my current 1680x1050 monitor.

For text and web browsing you're probably far better off sticking with an actual monitor and not a TV, especially from 2-3 feet away.

I'll definitely be setting it to 1080p. I'm also not too worried about text quality since I'm not really doing any work on it. I do however plan to set the monitor on my coffee table (wireless keyboard and mouse) so I'm worried that that the monitor will be slightly overwhelming.

On a coffee table? I'm guessing your eyes will range anywhere between 3ft to 6ft from the screen (?) If that's the case, go for the 37" Panasonic L37S1, you won't be sorry one bit. I know I'm extremely happy with my L32S1 from 2-3ft away.

The thousands of Westinghouse LVM W3 owners would probably agree with me ;), and you would have less input lag than them (the westy has an actual 30ms lag or so).

If you end up buying it, do us a favor and post your thoughts of it, and i'm sure plenty here would like to see pics of it in action :)

I was using a 37" up until recently. For web surfing and casual gaming it's fine. It's a bit big and if you are closer to the 3' than the 6' I would recommend stepping down to a 32". I was about 4'-5' away and when I reclined back a bit in the chairI was about 6' back. The pixel pitch is a bit large even on a 1080 screen when that close up and that tends to be a bit hard on the eyes for long periods of time. But the large screen does make for a decent immersion factor.

I switched back to triple 24" 1920x1200 for a few reasons;
A. I now work from home and needed the versitility of multiple screens.
B. Spending long hours on a large screen was hard on the eyes.
C. Eyefinity ;)
D. sharpness and PQ from the pixel pitch over the HDTV.

PQ isn't going to be huge between the 32 and the 37, but the 32 will be easier on the eyes for extended periods.

Yep, 3 x 24" (1920*1200) >>> 37".
Alternatively, you could go with 30" Landscape (2560*1600) + 2 x 20" portrait (1200*1600).

Thanks for the link Sjetski. It's nice to know that the U22 will come in at a similar price to the S1. Just not too sure if it's better than the S1.

Anyhow, I've decided that 37inch will indeed to too big for my current intended purposes. I plan to place it on my coffee table mostly for desktop use and computer games and then move it down when I use my projector for movies.

Thanks for the link Sjetski. It's nice to know that the U22 will come in at a similar price to the S1. Just not too sure if it's better than the S1.

Anyhow, I've decided that 37inch will indeed to too big for my current intended purposes. I plan to place it on my coffee table mostly for desktop use and computer games and then move it down when I use my projector for movies.
Not necessarily better, just a mild refresh of the same product they've used over the past 3 years. The only things they change is an add-on feature or two, the bezel, and the screen coating. I guess IPS-alpha panels were good enough to carry over for a few years, it's a very good panel imho so i'm not surprised.

But otherwise if you feel the 37" is too large then the 32" models should make a good lower cost alternative.

Personally i recomend you search both Google shopping + Bing shopping + Amazon merchants using both keywords L32S1 and L32U22 (the new model), this way you're guaranteed a low price.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back