Is 32 ohms enough to bother with a headphone amp?

Jakalwarrior

2[H]4U
Just wondering if the gutless (Atleast it seems that way to me) bass on my Fatal1ty Pro headset is from the overall quality or if I am missing out by not having a headphone amp. The bass is there, it is just very quiet compared to the midrange and highs. Even at max volume most deep bass sounds like it is on very low.

Your money would probably be better utilized by buying a different headset instead.

If your headphones aren't good enough to mention in a thread about whether or not they need amplification...then you probably need to replace them first. SB40 is good unless you want more detailed help, in which case post budget / musical interests / etc and also see the stickies here and here first.

In response to the question rather than to the problem indicated, "Is 32 ohms enough to bother with a headphone amp" - usually it is not necessary but sometimes it can be nice, and in either case depends on your headphones.

EQ the signal and see if that helps. The problem might be at source - is this a motherboard audio?

If your headphones aren't good enough to mention in a thread about whether or not they need amplification...then you probably need to replace them first. SB40 is good unless you want more detailed help, in which case post budget / musical interests / etc and also see the stickies here and here first.

In response to the question rather than to the problem indicated, "Is 32 ohms enough to bother with a headphone amp" - usually it is not necessary but sometimes it can be nice, and in either case depends on your headphones.

Fatal1ty Pro is the actual model. They were on sale for like 39 bucks shipped so I got a pair a while back. They are good for the money but like I said, I wish they had more bass. The bass is very deep and clear, just very low volume. If I remember right they start functioning right around 30 or 40hz. 25hz is audible but extremely quiet and pulsing.

Yes I am using onboard audio but I have also tried an old sound blaster I had lying around and a few mp3 players.

Fatal1ty Pro is the actual model. They were on sale for like 39 bucks shipped so I got a pair a while back. They are good for the money but like I said, I wish they had more bass. The bass is very deep and clear, just very low volume. If I remember right they start functioning right around 30 or 40hz. 25hz is audible but extremely quiet and pulsing.

Yes I am using onboard audio but I have also tried an old sound blaster I had lying around and a few mp3 players.

bass that low is barely audible. more felt than really heard and barely felt with tiny headphone drivers. real around the ear headphones, like the koss,at, akg, etc, have a bigger sound stage. sound stage is many things but the perception of being in different rooms or outside can be heard better with a pair of headphones with good sound stage. real echoes, reports of a gun, the sound of people running on different types of ground or flooring, sound more realistic when you have the added detail and separation which a good pair of large, over and around the ear headphones provide.

the koss is the cheapest headphone of this type. most everything else is on the ear or so tiny as to be barely different.

Back