is 27" really necessary?

I posted above why higher DPI does buy you something. But Another problem is this. We get stuck in a cycle, you wont buy a high DPI monitor, and others, so the demand does not produce supply to bring down prices. Display companies then do not produce high DPI monitors. Then standard makers do not produce standards that can drive those displays, then programmers get lazy and do not code their software to take advantage of high DPI. Each group is looking at the other and the end result is no one is willing to move.

Just sucks to be in this situations. Luckily after almost a decade of stagnation we are finally moving out of this trend, but it is only because LCD makers are needing to find a new reason to sell us another monitor since many people no longer see any need to upgrade.

I agree. It's a game of pass the buck between OS, programmers, and monitor manufacturers. I'd love to see super high res monitors--honestly, I would. But right now with the current state of scaling it would be a waste of money for me.

It's probably going to take the clout of somebody like Apple pushing the issue. The pixel doubling on the "Retina" Macbook Pro is forcing the market to respond. Maybe that will trickle down to the rest of the market.

Dude, i set 3 feet away from a 46 inch screen in my recliner. I would DIE for the largest fuggin TV possible especially if they increase the resolutions soon. Bigger is better in my opinion, and 3 screens are better than one. Go bigger

Dude, i set 3 feet away from a 46 inch screen in my recliner. I would DIE for the largest fuggin TV possible especially if they increase the resolutions soon. Bigger is better in my opinion, and 3 screens are better than one. Go bigger

You are better of buying a decent projector then.

I'm currently on 23" and 1080p, is there a point for me to get a 27" 1080p display?

Having 23" has more pizels/inch so I can have it closer to myself, getting "fake" 27"

I can't even look at 24 inch now because of this ZR30w.

I have used an Asus VE278Q 27" 1920x1080 for months now and love it, I sit back about 2' from the screen and it looks great to me and keeping 60fps with Vsync on is totally doable with a 680GTX. Dot pitch doesn't bother me at all and the size seems perfect. I'm totally happy with it. :)

That's about the limit for 1080p. And having great performance at 1080p is a nice perk too.
You are fine, as long as you stay away from higher res monitors. Every work day I downgrade to 1080p, it's not a pretty picture.

Back