IRS Having Major Computer Issues

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the IRS is having serious computer problems. The agency says that the hardware failure was bad enough to bring down several of its primary systems.

The IRS experienced a hardware failure this afternoon affecting a number of tax processing systems, which are currently unavailable. Several of our systems are not currently operating, including our modernized e-file system and a number of other related systems. The IRS is currently in the process of making repairs and working to restore normal operations as soon as possible. We anticipate some of the systems will remain unavailable until tomorrow.

Crap... I hope they don't lose any data. I submitted my taxes via e-file on the 1st.

Yes. Because every, single, government employee is incompetent. :rolleyes:

Yeah, pretty much. Lazy too. Worked in IT for a branch of government (County Court). Couldn't stand the level of incompetence and laziness. Resigned after 4 months.

So what I gather from reading posts in this thread is that private enterprises never have hardware failures.

Where can I buy such bulletproof equipment that never fails? I could really use a deal on bulk storage.

So what I gather from reading posts in this thread is that private enterprises never have hardware failures.

Where can I buy such bulletproof equipment that never fails? I could really use a deal on bulk storage.
The it's is still using xp, let that sink in for a moment.

*irs (damned auto correct)

Don't forget that there was an irs agent recently convicted of abuse and the clear fact that the whole irs is full of red tape that the building should be red from space

Anyone here ever written IRS electronic format submission software? It's all fixed-width files that they run through ancient mainframe systems. Their isn't even a conclusive way to test the file format without running it, no verification system exists. The Canadian Revenue Agency, it's all XML and you can run it against the public xsd to see if the format is right, not the IRS. Their computer system is a 1980's era dinosaur.

Yeah, pretty much. Lazy too. Worked in IT for a branch of government (County Court). Couldn't stand the level of incompetence and laziness. Resigned after 4 months.

Maybe for certain places but not everywhere in the government has lazy bastards just collecting paychecks & padding their job security.

The IRS is currently in the process of making repairs and working to restore normal operations as soon as possible. We anticipate some of the systems will remain unavailable until tomorrow.[/I]

Read as the IRS is currently down to install new pain inflicting hardware to scan deeper into your soul to steal more of your hard earned cash so they can give to those who will not work and obama the terrorist can take your guns and send them to "terrosist cell of the week"

So..... you were lazy and incompetent? Since you worked there, too? :D

Yes, a ton of them are. It's that job security. There's a reason why there are sayings "Good enough for government work" for shoddy work.

Not all, though, of course. Just a lot.

County court? HAHAHAHAHA

If that's all you've see of gov't, then you haven't seen sh!t, and you try to sound as if you're laid out all the ins and outs of the gov't.

Yeah, I'm going to compare the efficiency of a small mom and pop store to that of a big corp.

"Oh man, the private sector! They're a bunch of lazy slobs. Pushing the work further down the hierarchy. Yeah, I know so, because I worked for a small business and saw how the private sector works. YEAH!"

County court? HAHAHAHAHA

If that's all you've see of gov't, then you haven't seen sh!t, and you try to sound as if you're laid out all the ins and outs of the gov't.

Yeah, I'm going to compare the efficiency of a small mom and pop store to that of a big corp.

"Oh man, the private sector! They're a bunch of lazy slobs. Pushing the work further down the hierarchy. Yeah, I know so, because I worked for a small business and saw how the private sector works. YEAH!"

The bigger the agency, the bigger and more extensive the F up.

I didn't work for a county court. I spent 5 years in the Marines and another several as a contractor for the Air Force. I saw entire systems taken out and smashed because they didn't want to do the DRMO paperwork. Not SIPR systems, which have to get #REKT (that was a great way to blow off steam :D). Regular run of the mill NIPR systems - cpus, hubs, Catalyst switches, routers, servers, you name it. Whole pallets. Perfectly usable systems. Heck, they could have just signed them over to the Army or Marine Corps traversing the base, those guys were always hurting for spares.

Don't even ask about NMCI.

Back