Irritating sound

Milehigh

Limp Gawd
I'm getting an irritating from my desktop computer, one I've built... ASUS mobo. There is a sound that has begin in the last few weeks, sounds like a cork pop, or when you put your finger in your mouth creating a "pop". The pop even occurs when no apps are open, occurring every few minutes, or sometimes one right after another.

I check every system sound in the Win7 control panel and it is none of those. There are no notifications popping up and nothing obvious that I see in the notification panel. This is getting fairly irritating and I'm not sure where to go in finding and disabling this sound... any ideas or advice appreciated :)

** Edit ** I even had one occur before logging in right after a restart, got to be something on the system level I would think...

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I wasn't getting email for replies... the sound comes out of the speaker, which are plugged into the rear panel... I'm thinking it is some notification from AI Suite II, the ASUS software for monitoring my motherboard, but I don't see anything really out of the ordinary.

My one monitor has a web cam/usb hub and touch screen in it. I usually have it turned off but when i have that monitor on with the usb/cam plugged in... it will occasionally loose connection and get it back and i get a notification sound.

I told that story to ask the question. The sound you hear is it the same sound you get for 'New Hardware'? If so maybe you got a loose USB or something?

Second question.. People use the AI Suite?! ;-p

Interesting idea, I'll check my connections... that sound has not gone away for sure. It is more of a "cork pop" sound, and is a system sound of some type. I don't use the AI suite, it was installed by default, would an uninstall affect the operation of my motherboard?

Just checked, it is not the sound (two tone) for a connect or disconnect...

My one monitor has a web cam/usb hub and touch screen in it. I usually have it turned off but when i have that monitor on with the usb/cam plugged in... it will occasionally loose connection and get it back and i get a notification sound.

I told that story to ask the question. The sound you hear is it the same sound you get for 'New Hardware'? If so maybe you got a loose USB or something?

Second question.. People use the AI Suite?! ;-p

Interesting idea, I'll check my connections... that sound has not gone away for sure. It is more of a "cork pop" sound, and is a system sound of some type. I don't use the AI suite, it was installed by default, would an uninstall affect the operation of my motherboard?

Just checked, it is not the sound (two tone) for a connect or disconnect...

Bummer.

If you don't use AI Suite you should be able to just uninstall it. It is mainly used for Overclocking and monitoring. I think they got some other tools in there as well but doubt you'll use them. might as well save the half of a second on boot :)

back to the sound. I would say it is almost for sure a non-windows app doing it. maybe a tool bar in your browser?

It is definitely a .wav file as it reduces in volume if you turn the volume down. It occurs before even loading any programs in Win7, so it is either AI suite, MultiMon or a widget. What else could it possibly be?

CPU fan at 1000 rpm, that seems low...

Ok, I've uninstalled the AI Suite and still have the sound. It IS affected by speaker volume which does mean it is a .wav file and notification of some type, but there is no other type of notice of anything on my computer. This is very frustrating for sure... one thought, it does seem to coincide with the installation of Office 365, but I don't have to have any apps open for the sound to occur... any other ideas?

It is definitely a .wav file as it reduces in volume if you turn the volume down. It occurs before even loading any programs in Win7, so it is either AI suite, MultiMon or a widget. What else could it possibly be?

CPU fan at 1000 rpm, that seems low...

I had the issue with Asus Maximus VI Gene, and also have it on MSI Z87-GD65, i blame Realtek, i never could find a solution, well i did, got another sound card, but i still tested new drivers like a month ago, and still same issue.

So you think it is related to the Realtek sound chip?

I had the issue with Asus Maximus VI Gene, and also have it on MSI Z87-GD65, i blame Realtek, i never could find a solution, well i did, got another sound card, but i still tested new drivers like a month ago, and still same issue.

Back