Irritating permissions issues - Win2k/2k3

Wolf-R1

[H]ard|Gawd
I have had this happen on both Windows 2000 Server and 2003 Server and can't figure out why this is happening.

I have a directory shared with certain, set permissions on it. Within that there are subdirectories that contain their own set of permissions at times. In order to execute that I've had to go into the advanced permissions settings, uncheck the inheritance, copy down the permissions, then alter the permissions as I need. With the subdirectories permissions are not a problem. The problem is with files themselves.

There is an Excel spreadsheet in one of these subdirectories that has different permissions than the folder it resides in. Everyone has read only access to this file except for two people. The problem is that every so often for apparently no reason the permissions get reset on the file where everyone has full access to this file. I then have to go reset the permissions back to the restricted access. I usually have to do this two to three times a week.

Does anyone have any clue why this is happening and how to alleviate this problem? Other than moving it to a seperate subdirectory with the restricted permissions I don't see a resolution to this problem.

It might have to do with the permissions of the folder the excel file resides in. if everything were normal, your two user's with change rights should be able to save without disrupting the permissions, but if for some reason windows saw the change as a delete-then-save, it might have issues. It sounds like the solution you proposed is the most likely way to solve it.

That's what I'm thining that Windows is seeing the file as a new file. That the temporary file containing the changes gets renamed to the new file and the old one gets deleted. If that is the case then I need to put this thing into a new directory with it's own set of permissions.

Back