IRC connecting issues... help

  • Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Guest
I get this message when I try to connect to the IRC server.

Code:
* Connecting to irc.freenode.net (6667)
-
-wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
-
-wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
-
-wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
-
-wilhelm.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
-
Caps supported: account-notify extended-join identify-msg multi-prefix sasl
Caps set: account-notify extended-join multi-prefix
-
-wilhelm.freenode.net- *** Notice -- You need to identify via SASL to use this server
-
Closing Link: [my host name here] (SASL access only)
 
Sometimes the servers get maintenance and cannot connect. I would try again later.
 
Make sure your mobile client can do SSL connection. Or you are ok to use SASL connection (I dont remember the rules for that on freenode...) .... try a different freenode server, I think some (IE Wilhelm) are SASL connection only.
 
Its been giving me this error message for days Gilthanis

W.Feather I using a desktop app mIRC on Windows 10. I am just using my phone to teether the connection while I am away from my home's WiFi connection.

What other server can I try? I just type irc.freenode.net in and it automatically redirects me to that server.
 
Nope. I can connect fine using a web browser.
 
W.Feather if I just leave it connecting it will go through about 5 different servers. Each one complain about the same thing.
 
The last two lines of your OP tell you the issue, this is a good error message.
The servers require you to authenticate using SASL.
Within your chat client should be an area to spec your SASL settings.
If you are connecting from a mobile device, fainode mandates this as a way to keep your scammy African relatives off IRC.
 
I looked around for SASL settings, but I didn't see anything. What is SASL? I'm not even sure what settings I would need if I found them.
 
Back
Top