IR receiver in NSK2400 5.25" bay

ryansebiz

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for an IR receiver that will fit in the spare 5.25" drive bay of my Antec NSK2400.

I'm using the USB receiver from my MCE remote with my Harmony 880.

FYI I do have an open USB connector on my motherboard (in case the receiver needs an internal connector).

Does anyone know of any (preferrably silver) IR receivers that will fit in my case?

ryansebiz said:
Crim - will my remote work even though this product doesn't feature a 5.25" drive bay cover?

Doesn't IR have to be a straight signal?
You do realize this is the same reciever that you are currently using. Thats why it's called an "MCE receiver."

CrimandEvil said:
You do realize this is the same reciever that you are currently using. Thats why it's called an "MCE receiver."

Yes but doesn't IR have to have a direct line of sight to the receiver?

With the basic MCE remote and USB receiver I have now, I have to point the remote at the receiver it to work. If I buy an internal receiver without a 5.25" driver cover, how will the direct line of sight for the IR signal work?

I think warbird's recommendation is better.

oh, come on, don't you want to "Make your MCE even more better by adding this Internal Receiver."?

If the remote can be replaced with the MCE one then yeah it'll work but it's not that hard to drill a small hole in a drive bay cover and mount the internal IR behind it. If the drive is stealth then it helps even more since you can mount the IR emitter on the drive.

last night i couldn't go to sleep so i tried a little experiment.

i placed the mce usb receiver under the hard drive directly behind the bay cover. i put the lid back on the case and the receiver worked!

i then put the htpc back on the rack and sat on the couch, proud of my accomplishment.

only to find out the remote wouldn't work from the couch! i slowly walked closer towards the htpc pressing pause on the harmony and it finally worked...about 6 feet away (couch is about 14 feet away).

i had to take the receiver back out and put it back on top of my receiver. :(

so the best options are to drill a hole in the spare bay cover or buy the front panel suggested above?

Back