iPXE booting inside VLANs

nry

Limp Gawd
Sorry if this is clearly obvious but I am learning/playing with this so probably on the wrong track already :rolleyes:

What I am trying to do is boot multiple diskless machines from iSCSI by chain-loading iPXE over PXE, but combining it with PHP scripts to dual boot machines remotely using a web GUI.
And using VLANs to keep all the traffic separate over a single NIC, is this even the correct way of doing it? :eek:
These machines are either ESXi host's as part of a home lab, media PC's booting Windows 7, Ubuntu Desktop and no doubt in the future booting other OSs depending on what I am working on at the time. Hence the ability to boot them remotely from a web GUI quickly and easily using WOL/Switched PDUs.

So I have:
VLAN 5 - Server traffic
VLAN 10 - Normal workstation LAN traffic
VLAN 40 - iSCSI

pfSense, setup with the above VLANs (currently interVLAN routing is set to just allow everything, but obviously don't want to keep it this way), DHCP setup on the iSCSI VLAN to chain load the iPXE server software hosted on an Ubuntu server with TFTP server installed.

To keep things simple to begin with I just placed everything inside VLAN 40 and booted ESXi from iSCSI. This seems to work perfectly, can't fault it at all. Actually surprised how easy this bit was!

Now the bit I don't really know how to do, probably because it's the wrong way of doing it.
Changed the physical port on my switch from untagged VLAN 40 to a tagged port with VLAN 10 and 40.
Now when booting the system it doesn't get a DHCP address, pretty obvious as there are now two VLANs
Is there anyway I can set the VLAN for it to use?
I think if I booted iPXE off USB I can define the VLANs inside a script on the USB stick, but because I am chain-loading iPXE from PXE there isn't really a way to do this.

Any suggestions of maybe the proper way to handle VLANs in a situation like this?
As I said I am learning here but have thrown myself in the deep end in some complex setup!

Do you by chance have intel NICs? Some of them can be flashed to just straight boot iSCSI, makes all that trivial

After farting around far too much with this, think the easiest solution is going to be a few dirt cheap USB sticks with iPXE loaded on.
Define the VLANs in that iPXE build and hopefully it should just work from there.

Back