IPv6

Recently, TWC has decided that residential multiple IP's are not going to happen.
I had this service on my account (free with the internet service I have). I called up to see why a second firewall was not pulling an IP and they removed the service from my account and said "going forward, we don't offer this service". Nice of them to send out a notice, huh?

Anyway, I have 2 firewalls that will do IPv6 and from what I have read, both of them should be getting an address assigned out from TWC by the means of a /64.

I bought my own Arris modem, SB6141, and then put a gig Netgear switch off of that, and then my 2 firewalls.

Not knowing much about what is being grabbed, the IPv6 view in my firewall reads that I do have an address, but it starts with fe80:: and not an fd80:: which I think is a real IP.

Can I get some advice on this?

That fe80:: address is a self-assigned, link-local address. All IPv6 capable devices have them, but they're not globally routed addresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address

That being said, what firewalls do you have? You may have to enable WAN DHCPv6 and or PD (prefix delegation).

If TWC supports IPv6 on the CMTS in your area, they will assign each firewall a single WAN address (a /128) and then dynamically route a prefix (/64, /60, /56, maybe /48) based off the "hints" or prefix size request (the PD). This is all part of the DHCPv6 message exchange.

Make sure all your private gear (routers/firewalls) are IPv6 capable. Like Ehren8879 mentioned, IPv6 is usually not enabled by default. If your device supports it you'll probably have to enable it yourself.

I forgot to mention, if you're unsure whether IPv6 is supported on your CMTS, you can hook up a Wireshark capture to your modem and look for router advertisements. No, RAs, no IPv6.

Might want to disconnect your firewalls form the modem when you do this, so you don't confuse their RAs with those coming from the CMTS

Back