IPv6 internal Networking

Does anybody use IPv6 for their networking at home or work as opposed to IPv4? This is thread is purely out of curiosity because I am interested to see how many people are starting to make the switch. If you do how did you implement it?

I think it might already be working if all your shit supports it

If I do a ping to another pc on my network I get an ipv6 address which is really long

you can easily change to IPv6 and if your router supports it transcode that to ip4 addresses for the outside. Just make sure all the stuff you want to use on your network supports ipv6.

Myself and a few others here are actually doing IPv6 networks together(6to4 tunnels, ISATAP, bgpv6), not just /EUI-64 garbage. Honestly, the amount of homes you see with IPv6 on the LAN will be limited to the serious enthusiasts/people trying to learn. Theres no need for it. If you have a decent router you may want to check out tunnel broker to get your feet wet.
http://tunnelbroker.net/

still giving out /48's!

If you are networking Win7 machines on a simple hub/router based LAN and have not turned it off then you are already using IPv6 internally. Check it out. Do a 'ping' from one Win7 machine to another. Use the hostname - not IP address - in the ping command. Check out the address that it reports for the response.

I'm running local dual-stack but only cause I've got a tunnel to 6 internet. There's no point in having just intranet ipv6 yet. Unless you wanna play with new tech ofc.

Back