IPV6 & Facebook

Sotiri

Limp Gawd
I have an ASUS RT-N66U and the last couple times I upgraded the firmware I noticed a slowdown of the speed in which web pages loaded. It was barely noticeable on most sites but Facebook wouldn't load at all.
The first time I changed the IPV6 DNS server to Google's and it seemed to fix everything.
This last time, I switched IPV6 off then on again and it worked.
Is this just a coincidence or does Facebook rely heavily on IPV6?
I tried /flushdns both times without change. Is there a separate flush for IPV6 DNS?

sure does

8g3eqI3.png

who's your provider and do you have native IPv6?

this will tell you:

http://test-ipv6.com/

You've got some other kind of issue. It could be DNS. But more likely related to something with how the router is binding IPv6 addresses to it's interfaces if I had to guess. Being that it works after you toggle IPv6.

You could verify DNS by running an NSLOOKUP or DIG (If you linux) before and after you toggle it. See if it works.

Facebook is dual stack. Thus, Will get delivered via v6 if you've got it.

The OP could also have IPv6 brokenness.

Try pinging and tracing www.facebook.com. It should go over v6 if available.

EDIT:
If plugging in Google's DNSv6 servers fixes the problem it may be related to your service provider's DNS servers.

Then again it could be happy eyeballs, where your PC is trying to connect over a "broken" IPv6 connection. Google's public DNSv6 tracks service providers (ASNs) that have faulty IPv6 and won't deliver AAAA records via their public DNS servers.

Pinging and tracing might yield some good info

Last edited:
The OP could also have IPv6 brokenness.

Try pinging and tracing www.facebook.com. It should go over v6 if available.

I tried ping -6 to force IPv6 and get "Request Timed Out".

If plugging in Google's DNSv6 servers fixes the problem it may be related to your service provider's DNS servers.

This last time my router was already set to Google's servers. All I did was switch IPv6 off then on again in my router's UI.

Back