IPS vs TN

lol my bad. ok so is plasma better than ips? everyone seems to be bitching on how you suffer from burned marks.

i did read in another thread that plasma's are better for gaming and watching movies and plus they are cheaper because they use old tech and cheaper to produce while lcd's are hyped up to teh extreme?

Plasmas are generally better than LCDs but they are not practical desktop monitors since the minimum size is 42" and the resolution is limited to 1920x1080. If you were to use one hooked up to your PC then it would have to be much further away then the usual 2-3 feet that a desktop monitor is. They would be a minimum five feet away to be practical. They also consume more power and throw off way more heat than an LCD.

In any case, get an IPS LCD for desktop usage. I have two (NEC 2490WUXi and a 27" iMac) and they're fantastic. Plasmas are excellent displays but for most people they would be impractical as a computer monitor.

And the argument regarding HDTV cost boils down to this. Expensive LED backlit LCD HDTVs with local dimming and higher refresh rates cost more because they employ many additional technologies that are there to band-aid inherent problems with LCD technology. Things like black levels and motion blur artifacts, that's what those high Hz sets with local dimming attempt to fix. The problem is that they still don't look as good as plasmas which inherently do not have those issues, they cost more, and they add additional input lag which further affects responsiveness with games.

This is why people recommend a mid-range plasma over a high-end LCD HDTV. The extra cost in the LCD is to get it to the quality level of a cheaper set, which BTW still happens to be better due to cost and still superior image quality.

PVA's and black crush.... another misconception and problem. PVA's do not crush blacks.

Again, PVA does not crush blacks, bad calibration does.

PVA's crush blacks, but calibration can compensate for it when viewing straight on.

If you look at an PVA monitor from an off-axis angle, you can see the dark grays/blacks that are crushed when viewed from straight on.

On smaller devices like the iPhone and PSP, the close viewing distance makes the black crush very obvious. It is bad enough that each eye gets a significantly different image. I prefer TN on most handheld devices. (such as the DS) TN wouldn't work well with the iPhone because it is used in two orientations.

Back