IPS screen burn in. Does yours have it?

hardboner

Limp Gawd
My notebook has a SAMSUNG 156HL01-104 with 300cd brightness.

I just noticed that it has image burn.

You can easily test yours if you leave open a bright webpage with lots of text for several minutes, then turn the whole screen grey.
You might see the webpage burned in.

Even the HardForum logo is enough to burn in while I typed this message.

Wonder if this is common...

Last edited:
Never seen it myself and I've got some 4 year old IPS screens.

The first time I've heard about screen burn in the last few years is in the brand new Phillips 4k lol. Not sure if it's just rumours though

Yes the Phillips screen has burn in issues and warnings about it in manual.
But it is not an LG IPS like many others. It's a TP Vision (model TPT430U3 WQYSHM) as per Armenius.Philips BDM4350UC 43 inch 4K IPS PWM-free monitor

I've had no issues on my AH-IPS LG Panel for 4-5 years. Lots of static images, graphs, colour charts etc during productivity and other work.

Oh yeah and TP vision is owned by TPV who also owns AOC.. explains a bit about the QC on that panel.

Last edited:
Really? This is the first time ever I have heard of any LCD screen burn in. CRT, Plasma, OLED all suffer from it to various degrees but LCD should be nearly impervous to it.

I have an IPS tablet with mild burn-in (only visible on a gray background). However, it's been used as a clock 24/7 for 3 years, so very far from typical use.

Zero burn in on my now, what, 8 or 9 year old Planar PX2611w 26" 16:10 IPS. It's been used with Windows Vista, then 7, then 10. Tons of hours. Always had the taskbar active (it's a secondary display now, but still has the taskbar). No issues.

A good panel will be fine. A bad panel will go bad. No real surprise there.

My notebook has a SAMSUNG 156HL01-104 with 300cd brightness.

I just noticed that it has image burn.

You can easily test yours if you leave open a bright webpage with lots of text for several minutes, then turn the whole screen grey.
You might see the webpage burned in.

Even the HardForum logo is enough to burn in while I typed this message.

Wonder if this is common...
burn-in is not the same thing as image retention. burn-in is permanent. if it goes away, which it almost assuredly does judging by your wording, it's image retention.

Back