IPS monitors with highest static contrast

wyqtor

Limp Gawd
I'm interested in finding out which IPS monitors on the market have the highest measured static contrast (above 1000:1) and the least amount of IPS glow. I'm interested especially in the 23" and 24" category, but if you know 27" with great contrast, please feel free to mention.

You're not going to find a significant outlier on the positive side of the contrast ratio spectrum. All well functioning IPS monitors will have a static contrast ratio of 800-1200, and will exhibit similar glow characteristics. There seems to be as much variation among panels in the same line as there is between different monitors using the same panel.

You can get monitors that have a lower black luminance when well calibrated, but they typically will have lower white luminance, so similar contrast ratio. Color comp on NECs, for instance.

If static contrast ratio is your primary concern, just look for *VA panels. PVA or MVA.

Any of the new led backlit IPS range from 700 to 1100:1 it is basically luck of the draw even with the same models. The asus ml239h has been reported to range from 200-1100:1 in different reviews.

If you don't want glow hunt down an IPS with an a-tw polariser or get a VA or TN panel.

If you really want good contrast Monitor then check out this Monitor:
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-philips-241p4qpyes.html

Thank you for the replies, I was going to seriously consider buying this model, but according to Prad it seems to have quite low sRGB coverage compared to IPS models which is disappointing. And it is the only VA model suitable for my needs (I'm an occasional gamer).

I currently have a U2312HM that is bothering me with silvery bleeding/glow in the lower right corner (even when viewed straight on), as well as poorer blacks than on my other U2311H (which has great contrast and a purplish discrete glow, it's almost perfect for me). This is really annoying when watching movies or playing games with dark scenes. Is there a chance I would be getting a better model/revision if I replaced it with a different U2312HM?

Also, I'm curious which IPS monitors out there have purplish rather than silvery glow?

I send the IPS235P back because of the purplish glow. This IPS-Glow is so dam annoying.

My 27" Shimian seems to have less glow than any other IPS panel I've used even though it should be worse due to it's size and my viewing distance. I don't know if it's more noticeable with a matte coating or what (I've heard it shouldn't be?) but even my old 22" 2209wa, which was much smaller but at the same viewing distance, had much worse glow.

Back