Hey
Short-time lurker, first-time poster
The search for the ideal monitor is never-ending, isn't it?
For years I've been using a Philips 20" S-IPS. It seems it is small enough not to notice the IPS "glow" I've recently discovered.
Then I upgraded to a Dell 2412M. It was great for desktop/text, provided you aren't looking at predominantly black pictures. It was horrid for movies with dark scenes. The four corners could not display black, at all. Black in any corner was light grey/silver. Not even a dark grey that I could ignore. It was like the moon reflecting off a puddle, and it drove me to distraction. Almost ruined "Inception" for me
Eventually, after having sampled two replacements from Dell, I decided e-IPS was not a viable panel type for a 24" or bigger monitor. I was probably a bit hasty to write off the entire IPS technology, however.
(The Dell also lacks 1:1 pixel mapping for 16:9 sources, or a HDMI input.)
Since then, I've also tried a 32" VA TV. It seems I'm a very forgiving gamer, because I didn't notice any blur or ghosting or slow response that VA screens are supposed to have. Given that VA tech is supposed to be excellent for blacks, I found that not to be the case with the TV. With a good, dark black level, details were lost in dark areas. To get those details back, I had to increase black level to dark grey, no better than IPS.
My priorities are:
-everyday usage. desktop/text (web browsing)
-movies
-games
I game more than I watch movies, but as said, I'm a very forgiving gamer. I don't notice ghosting and I don't need 120hz. So I'm elevating movies above games in my deciding factors.
IPS glow is my #1 contention with the technology, which otherwise has everything I want. A-TW polarisers aren't used anymore (shame). e-IPS seems to be a step backwards from older S-IPS displays.
But I also don't have Eizo deep pockets
My budget is an absolute max of £300, which I think translates to roughly $350 once you account for tax and regional pricing.
Is there anything worth considering in IPS land, or is the Dell about as good as it gets? If I hate the glow on the Dell, will I find that glow on all other IPS screens?
For years I've been using a Philips 20" S-IPS. It seems it is small enough not to notice the IPS "glow" I've recently discovered.
Then I upgraded to a Dell 2412M. It was great for desktop/text, provided you aren't looking at predominantly black pictures. It was horrid for movies with dark scenes. The four corners could not display black, at all. Black in any corner was light grey/silver. Not even a dark grey that I could ignore. It was like the moon reflecting off a puddle, and it drove me to distraction. Almost ruined "Inception" for me
Eventually, after having sampled two replacements from Dell, I decided e-IPS was not a viable panel type for a 24" or bigger monitor. I was probably a bit hasty to write off the entire IPS technology, however.
(The Dell also lacks 1:1 pixel mapping for 16:9 sources, or a HDMI input.)
Since then, I've also tried a 32" VA TV. It seems I'm a very forgiving gamer, because I didn't notice any blur or ghosting or slow response that VA screens are supposed to have. Given that VA tech is supposed to be excellent for blacks, I found that not to be the case with the TV. With a good, dark black level, details were lost in dark areas. To get those details back, I had to increase black level to dark grey, no better than IPS.
My priorities are:
-everyday usage. desktop/text (web browsing)
-movies
-games
I game more than I watch movies, but as said, I'm a very forgiving gamer. I don't notice ghosting and I don't need 120hz. So I'm elevating movies above games in my deciding factors.
IPS glow is my #1 contention with the technology, which otherwise has everything I want. A-TW polarisers aren't used anymore (shame). e-IPS seems to be a step backwards from older S-IPS displays.
But I also don't have Eizo deep pockets
Is there anything worth considering in IPS land, or is the Dell about as good as it gets? If I hate the glow on the Dell, will I find that glow on all other IPS screens?