• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

iPods Could Shift To Flash This Year?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
An Analyst from Prudential Equity Group believes that Apple could shift it’s complete line of iPods over to flash memory storage. I don’t see how Apple could pull this off for 80GB models without them costing double what they do now.

The report, from Prudential Equity Group analyst Jesse Tortora, was spotted by AppleInsider. Tortora believes that by late 2007 Apple could shift the video iPods over to flash memory as part of a redesign of the product. The iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle already use flash memory.
 
But wait -- what's the current maximum storage capacity for flash memory?
 
Isn't the biggest "thumb" drive you can buy like an 8 gigger? I think I've seen 4.

Good for apple if they can do it... I never want another HD based portable after my last 2 creatives.
 
man that would be a very expensive 80gb Ipod... Do they know something that we don't, as in maybe a big drop in price in flash memory this year?
 
Thumb drives are a lot smaller than iPods, so I'm assuming if size wasn't an issue they would be able to make 30gig flash memory. I just hope that it doesn't cost more than the iPhone.

Although after researching flash memory on SanDisk's website it looks like they haven't released anything close to 10 gigs yet so I doubt that Apple will be releasing a flash memory iPod.

It seems that everyone's releasing wi-fi capable mp3 players so i think Apple's probably gonna release a new OS on their new iPods along with wi-fi capabilities such as chat with other iPod users, and most probably blue tooth capabilities. I won't be surprised if they release that too ..


That's my speculation :p.
 
I thought the read/write performance of the current flash drives sucked compared to a HDD?
 
But wait -- what's the current maximum storage capacity for flash memory?
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36841
A-DATA is currently sampling 32GB SSD in a ExpressCard size, 64GB in 1.8" notebook size and a massive 128GB one in 2.5" form...

I thought the read/write performance of the current flash drives sucked compared to a HDD?
How much bandwidth do you think you need for an iPod?

It's about damn time! :D
 
Also, SSD rivals hard drives in performance- even beats them in some cases! As a bonus, the power consumption is significantly lower.

(We need an edit button!)
 
Although after researching flash memory on SanDisk's website it looks like they haven't released anything close to 10 gigs yet so I doubt that Apple will be releasing a flash memory iPod.

Apple already has a flash memory iPod -- it's called the nano.
 
I don't see why the flash memory would have to be a single device. An array of smaller devices would surely serve the purpose just as well.

The real question is, how much would Apple pay per 1/2GB flash device? I can't believe it's more then a few bucks with orders in the millions. The larger models might not switch for another year or two while waiting for prices to drop.
 
I'm sorry, I guess I may need to help you out with their terminology.

The normal iPod which uses a hard drive and is currently named iPod video / iPod 5.5G / etc... is called iPod. Check the link. Blame Steve Jobs for confusing you.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

iPod NANO... its an ipod too :rolleyes:

So they already have everything ready for flash versions, now they just need more GB which will probably happen by the end of the year.
 
Err, why shouldn't they be able to simply use two 16gig drives for one 32gig iPod? These things are tiny and JBOD is not exactly complex technology.
 
Everyone Kepps saying ZOMG 80gb FLASH!!..

Anyone ever thing they just made the current ones smaller in size and used more of them, hmmmm

Regardless.. Itll prolly jack up the prices.. But someone is dumb enough to pay 500$ for an ipod
 
Back
Top