• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ipod video

Joined
Sep 12, 2005
Messages
36
planning on getting an ipod video...not too sure what it comes with, nor how much it should cost...

any ideas what it comes with?
and confused about the charger...does it charge through the dock? or usb connection? :confused:
 
Here is how it works the Ipod video 30gb is 299 the 60gb(Larger Battery) is 399. It comes with the earbuds which absolutly blow. I trashed mine after the first week. IT comes with a CD with the installation software and itunes which I highly recommend you use and hope it has the pre jan edition of itunes and ipod software because your videos wont work with the lastest software and drivers. It also comes wiht a usb cord which charges it through your computers usb port it is also the way of putting data on the ipod. If you want a charger as in the wall there around 35 bucks. If you want a dock there around 30. The AV cables are around 20. Then you have to buy the remote. If you wanna hook it up to the televison for movies. So basically if u plan on using it just with you comp as a charger then you dont need anything but if you go on trips u need the wall charger. I would also HIGHLY RECOMMEND the 2 year service plan because they break at will unless ur extremly careful. I would also HIGHLY RECOMMEND the agent18.com case for it also because once you remove the protective plastic they scratch EXTREMELY EASY.
 
apple controls their resellers pretty tightly, so you won't find much difference, if any, in the price of the iPods between stores.

my recommendation is actually to order directly from apple's online store. when i bought mine (10GB, 3rd gen), i got a 30 dollar student discount, and then another 25 dollar coupon that they emailed to me just for having an apple store account. i'm not sure if they still have the free engraving though.

i'm not so sure what you get now, but when i bought mine way back when, it came with the headphones (crap), a CD with iTunes on it, a wall charger, a firewire cable, a firewire to USB adapter, and little plastic covers for the dock connector and the connector on the cable. if you bought the more expensive 20 or 30GB versions, you also got the dock and a carrying case.

i'd second the fact that they scratch really easily. i had mine for maybe 3 days when i got a nasty scratch in my screen. as far as durability goes, i'd have to disagree with frozen. i've had mine since november 2003, and i basically carry it around in my pocket 5 days a week. it still works fine.

edit: my girlfriend got a 30GB for christmas, and she said that it came with the headphones, the CD, a crappy little felt-like slip cover, and a USB cable. she had to buy the wall charger separately. no plastic covers or dock included.
 
I just got the 60G edition in black, and you will want to get an external carry case to protect it. I also bought the car mount/FM transmitter/recharger for my car, using my BestBuy giftcard and Rewardzone points.

I got mine from the Apple store near me, and got the Student $30 discount too.

I find the earbuds uncomfortable, so if you are at the store, you may want to pick up the Apple in-ear ones for $40. These still let you function when the volume is off.

I also went over to J&R in Manhattan and grabbed a pair of Altec Lansing iM716 in-ear phones by Etymolic for $99, which supposedly are ER-4 clones. Too much isolation for my work environment tho.
 
I would get the service plan, I've replaced my ipod 2 times already for manufacturer defects.
 
Okay, I own an Ipod, so here's the lowdown:

1. ipod's have the second best sound on the market. Unless you have $2000 speakers, you shouldn't be disappointed.
2. Like people have said, the earbuds are garbage. The best to get are actually a cheap $15 koss pair called the KSC-75's. Look for them on Amazon. You can ask anyone, they are the best portable headphones you can buy.
3. You connect via usb, and if you accidentally disconnect without disconnecting on your pc, you can screw up your ipod... So if you accidentally unplug your ipod or the power goes out, you COULD be sol. Please buy a power adaptor.
4. One lovely thing about the Ipod videos: the 30 gigs battery is different from the 60 gigs. The 30 gig lasts 14 hours music time, 2 hours movie time; the 60 gig lasts 20 hours music time, 3 hours movie time. If I were you, I'd get the 60 gig. You're gonna be putting videos on it anyway, so you'll need the extra space.....
 
I have to retract the fact that I said they break at will. An inside source told me that they have alot of trouble with the fact that people dont treat these devices as fragile hard drives( they break them and whine for new ones). There is also the fact that some of the batches had defective battery's with shortened life cycles.I am in favor of the service plan and alot of people recommend it. Its a good way of protecting your investment in my mind. Other than that all hail the Ipod. I dont know what I would do without mine. I couldnt imagine being on the stairmaster for an hour without watching countless episodes of family guy and south park!
 
I love my Ipod as well, tho I am at the point of trying to get some good mini-cans for it. The buds are annoying cuz they can hurt, plus they move alot. The iM716 work fine, but are too isolating for moving around with, plus the microphonics are annoying. As a quick fix, I grabbed the Apple In-Ear units. Not so isolating, and no microphonics thus far, plus they are matched to run on an iPod unamped for some strange reason :rolleyes:

When I get some cash I'm going to order some UE Super.Fi 5 Pro's, just so I can listen to what a dual-driver set sounds like.
 
Back
Top