ipod tracking

DoMeHardR

Limp Gawd
One of my teachers was saying when you connect your ipod to your computer and load up itunes, it sends out your serial number of the ipod connected to apple(assuming you have a internet connection). I lost my ipod and pretty sure it was stolen. My teacher also said something about how you can give a request to apple to see when the last time your ipod was connected to itunes. I will call apple tomorrow to see if they will be able to do this. Does anyone know anything more about this?

I've never noticed iTunes connecting to anything, except when it's looking for ID3 tags at CDDB, or shared music, or the music store. I'd say no, no it does not connect.

Sounds like your teacher is paranoid. Just another reason you shouldn't believe EVERYTHING your teachers say.

When i first hooked up my ipod (fresh from the factory) I seem to recall havig to enter a serial number. I don't think I was on an internet -enabled PC at the time, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't sent back to Apple.

Every time i've moved PCs since then I haven't had to enter it though, so I don't think itunes is tracking it. Apple isn't Sony, right? ;)

your teacher is running his/her mouth. The only thing that has to do with serial number is registration and service, and the only thing apple can do is hold on to an ipod if the serial number is reported stolen and someone brings it in for service. You have to have a police report if you want apple to do this...

Back