iPod touch 6th generation

the_servicer

2[H]4U
Best Buy currently has a small discount on the new iPod touch. I almost bought one, but stopped when I saw "iOS 8". I read somewhere that Apple mobile devices slow down as a result of each iOS upgrade. So with that in mind, isn't it a no-brainer to pay ten bucks more to buy it direct from Apple? Unlike Best Buy, their shopping page says "iOS 9". If there actually is a performance consequence then I would rather pay a little more to have iOS 9 pre-loaded rather than have to undergo an upgrade from iOS 8.

Or maybe it's just a matter of waiting until Best Buy clears their inventory of iPod units with iOS 8.

You misunderstand. They aren't saying the actual process of installing an OS update slows down the hardware. They are stating that newer versions of the operating systems run slower on older hardware. So over time if you're using a 2 year old piece of hardware and going through two iOS base versions, you'll have a worse experience over using a new piece of hardware.

There is literally going to be no difference between buying a device with iOS9 vs iOS8 and then upgrading.

Back