iPod only recognizes USB 1, not USB 2?

Gary King

Limp Gawd
I have USB 1 built in to the motherboard, and a USB 2 card. I used to use USB 1. I was able to use my iPod 4G with my USB 1, and it (normally) worked fine.

Anyways, I recently installed USB 2. My USB drive works fine with the USB 2, but my iPod does not. What happens is that, when I put in my iPod, WinXP recognizes something and says that there is a 'USB Mass Storage Device', like it should, but my iPod only shows the 'Do not disconnect' message for only a split second, and then it goes back to normal, even while connected.

Anyone know why? Anythings I can try to troubleshoot?

Thanks! :)

First, plug your ipod into the same port as your usb drive, see if that fixes things.
Also, look at the little plastic connector on the usb female part. They will break off at times if the cable are pull out at a bad angle. When they break, the connection is poor at best.

You didn't mention what USB 2.0 card you installed. Also, are you using the default WinXP USB 2.0 drivers, or, the ones included with your add in card? Many times this is a driver issue with the Enhanced drivers not recognizing the Mass Storage Controller correctly and kicking the device off of the bus.

-E

MrE said:
You didn't mention what USB 2.0 card you installed. Also, are you using the default WinXP USB 2.0 drivers, or, the ones included with your add in card? Many times this is a driver issue with the Enhanced drivers not recognizing the Mass Storage Controller correctly and kicking the device off of the bus.

-E
I just use the Windows XP USB 2.0 drivers. Should I install the ones that came with my card?

Back