• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ipod mini vs zen mico 5gb?

omega-x

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
3,073
kinda hung up on deciding which of these to get.

ipod mini is NICE, used it in person

but general consensus is that the zen micro is an ipod mini killer, in terms of sound quality, battery life, storage, UI, and looks.

all for the same price.

anyone have any selling points of the ipod mini over all that?
 
Spend the extra like $50 and get a 20gb mp3 player like a ipod 20gb 4G or even the Creative iTouch 20gb. It's so much more cost effective, and you get a lot more space for only a small increase in price. The mini/micro are only 4-5gb, and not really worth the money. Tom's says that the Creative comes with better headphones, but in reality both pairs suck, meaning the ones bundled with either a Zen or iPod. If you want good sound quality you're going to have to spend $50 on some Sennheisers or Grados, there's no way around it. The battery life is also a relative term, both units probably get around the same hours. The big brother Apple will get a bit more as it's rated at 12hours.

But if you must, I'd probably get the iPod mini. I just got my first Apple product this morning, an iPod 20gb. And I must say it is wicked. Definitely an awesome unit, the click wheel is actually fun to use. I have heard a lot of good things about the Zen Micro, but the iPod mini is proven.
 
well i already have a pair of koss KSC-75's for portable use

as for a regular 20gb ipod, thats extremely tempting, but i simply have no USE for 20gb's of music storage :)

the zen touch looks decent though, 20gb AND it undercuts the micro somehow.

i really like the ipod's interface, even if its a little akward (yet so effecient)
 
Don't forget you're not looking at 20gb of MUSIC. You can also use it as a portable hard drive. I keep a ton of handy files around so I have them when I'm visiting the parents and need to update AV or install Putty/TS and such to check on work on the go.

I also think I might try out the whole audio book thing (although I'm not sure how I won't just zone out and miss the last 4 chapters) and that might take up a bunch more space with such long files. (I've not yet looked though)
 
You dont have a need for 20gb... yet.. Its a matter of perspective. I remember building a PC 10 years ago and getting a 1gb harddrive wtih it. Man I wondered how I would ever fill that up. I was set for life I thought. Forward to today, i have 280gb of storage and a 20gb iPod. Its not enough.

4gb might be good for now but for longevity get something you don't anticipate needing in the immediate future.

On a separate note, before buying my iPod i tried all the harddrive mp3 players out there and having seen the competition, I have to say that the iPod is the best I've tried (that includes the Zen Micro). Of course that is my opinion, so what I recommend is thinking about it long and hard, trying all your options, and only getting one when you're ready to make a decision you will be happy with.

b0b

OR you could buy both and give me the one you end up not wanting :D
 
aware it can be a portable storage device, too, but i have ALOT of usb keychains (nearly a gig worth)

if it came down to it though, micro for 250 or ipod 20gb for 270(discount), the ipod pwns.

the only last gripe i'd have then is itunes. itunes just...bugs me for some reason, it may be all the crap it loads into resident memory all the time, or the general interface, being used to winamp classic.

i do understand the need for itunes, to organize the database of music so the ipod can be as clean as it is. but eh. minor gripe, really :)
 
omega-x said:
the only last gripe i'd have then is itunes. itunes just...bugs me for some reason, it may be all the crap it loads into resident memory all the time, or the general interface, being used to winamp classic.

i do understand the need for itunes, to organize the database of music so the ipod can be as clean as it is. but eh. minor gripe, really :)
Dude, how much ram do you have? My iTunes is only using about a combined (iTunes.exe, iTuneshelper.exe, and iPodservice.exe) 18mb of my 1024mb of total ram. If you have even 512mb of ram, you shouldn't care that iTunes uses 18mb of ram. It's really only a drop in the bucket. I don't know about you guys but I don't go over 500mb of ram usage that often unless I'm browsing a site with a lot of HQ pics on it or something. For example, right this second I'm only using 395mb of ram. iTunes is a much nicer program than Winamp. I used to be a hardcore Winamp user, I was faithful to my old Winamp 2.8 for a long time until I downloaded iTunes. It is a nicer interface, and it has more features. For example, automatic song volume equalizing, a good utility for ripping CDs, quick ways to organize your playlist however you like, built in music store, just to name a few. It really is a well built program...

Also, it should be mentioned that you said you don't need 20gb of music space. Dude, I don't either, I only have around 8gb of music. But the thing is, your music collection is likely going to grow over the years. It won't shrink. It will only get bigger, and a nice 20gb iPod will accomodate for that transition. Where as a 4gb iPod mini or 5gb Creative Zen Micro will not, and you won't be able to keep your whole collection in your pocket anymore. And seriously, why pay $249 for a 4gb or 5gb mp3 player when you can get quadruple or quintuple the space for only $50 more? It's really a no brainer when you think about it.
 
omega-x said:
the only last gripe i'd have then is itunes. itunes just...bugs me for some reason, it may be all the crap it loads into resident memory all the time, or the general interface, being used to winamp classic.

It bugs me too, i'm a die hard winamp junkie and being forced to use iTunes hasn't made me too happy.

Does anyone know of a way to send my playlists from winamp to iTunes without having to make new playlists in iTunes?
 
afaik, itunes reads pls files.

anyway, it doesnt matter how much memory itunes's resident uses, its the fact that it uses it when im not running itunes. it doesnt NEED to in most cases.


granted winamp is not much smaller, but IT can be closed out. (winamp also does video), (i know, itunes runs on a quicktime code base, but i dont like quicktime, as a video player, either)

i mean if it came down to getting an ipod, i'd pretty much only use itunes for syncing and wouldnt have a problem :)
 
You know, if I were to choose a mini-player and were still a PC user, it wouldn't be the ipod mini. Its nice and all, but a bit overpriced IMHO.

The 20GB 4th gen ipod however, is a different story. Major bling factor, kick ass control setup, and I can use it as a boot drive. how cool is that?

Also a handy way to stash pr0n, now that I think about that. Not that I have a need for such things.........ahem.

I know what some of you are saying about itunes. I had problems with it too when I begrudgingly started using it. the compactness of winamp would be hard to beat. But the itunes song management is SOOOOOOOO much better. I love typing in words and having it search on the fly.
 
Back
Top