iPod Mini Battery Issues?

legato

Weaksauce
Hi peepz,
I preordered an iPod mini off Apple's site...I read/heard about the current iPod battery issues and was wondering if this issue will carry over to the new minis?
THanks in advance.

you'll find out in a year, i suspect.

Rechargable batteries dont last forever. You want to hear about shitty batteries, look at dell. Inspirons chew through them like nothing. Dell says they are rated for 300 charge cycles. and after a while, because the batteries are "intelligent", instead of holding a weak charge they are COMPLETELY dead and refuse to charge at all. Bricks. Thankfully they are relatively cheap on ebay. :)

Like all batteries, take care of them. Dont freeze them, and try not to store them while they are dead.

CoOL
FUnny thing, my friend has a 1gen 10gig ipod and its fine...
If anything I will prob buy the upgraded applecare thing after the 1yr plan =D
Thanks again.

Originally posted by legato
CoOL
FUnny thing, my friend has a 1gen 10gig ipod and its fine...
If anything I will prob buy the upgraded applecare thing after the 1yr plan =D
Thanks again.
You have to buy it BEFORE it ends.

If you miss it by a day; you're screwed.

yep...and I would recomend getting it WELL before your 1 year as you don't get any real benifit from waiting as it goes back to your original purchase date of the ipod or in your case when you received it

My god, how many times do we have to go through this? THERE ARE NO IPOD BATTERY ISSUES! Lithium-Ion batteries slowly die over time, that is the major downfall of them. It happens with all of them, not just the iPod.

You don't hear people bitching about laptop batteries going dead, even though the do. I'm sick of people talking about this.

Originally posted by WakeboardrB
My god, how many times do we have to go through this? THERE ARE NO IPOD BATTERY ISSUES! Lithium-Ion batteries slowly die over time, that is the major downfall of them. It happens with all of them, not just the iPod.

You don't hear people bitching about laptop batteries going dead, even though the do. I'm sick of people talking about this.

/end thread
/end iPod Battery Post's
/close for... no wait.

the problem is that apple made the ipod battery impossible to get at, imagine if your laptop's battery or any othe lithium battery in a camcorder, digicam etc... was sealed inside the device, I think you would have the right to be pissed when the manufacturer wants money to replace soemthing that should be easily replaceable by the consumer.

Originally posted by gigglebyte
yep...and I would recomend getting it WELL before your 1 year as you don't get any real benifit from waiting as it goes back to your original purchase date of the ipod or in your case when you received it

really, thats good to know. I assumed it would extend it.

Guess it makes sense the way you describe it though.

Originally posted by Methodical
you'll find out in a year, i suspect.

Rechargable batteries dont last forever. You want to hear about shitty batteries, look at dell. Inspirons chew through them like nothing. Dell says they are rated for 300 charge cycles. and after a while, because the batteries are "intelligent", instead of holding a weak charge they are COMPLETELY dead and refuse to charge at all. Bricks. Thankfully they are relatively cheap on ebay. :)

Like all batteries, take care of them. Dont freeze them, and try not to store them while they are dead.

Point me to a laptop that doesn't do this... Most I've used are the same way.

The fact that the iPods battery wears out after a year and a half is a fact of life with Lithium Ions. Each type of battery has a certain length of time I will last. Apple possibly could have made it better using Lithium Polymer, but they're more expensive.

My problem with the iPod battery is I can't use one for a few days on end without it running out of juice, it won't even last for a long day of use either. 8 hours is just too short IMO.

Thanks for all the cool responses...as for wakeboard..yea thanks...If you are sick and tired why did you bother reading this in the first place...I'm like just asking a question, I'm not like going all anal about this...Anyway I can't wait...just a week more b4 I can enjoy my new toy ^^

Damn I gotta start drinking some pepsi so I can get sum free songs in the process :D

the problem is that apple made the ipod battery impossible to get at, imagine if your laptop's battery or any othe lithium battery in a camcorder, digicam etc... was sealed inside the device, I think you would have the right to be pissed when the manufacturer wants money to replace soemthing that should be easily replaceable by the consumer.

Exactly, if I'm going to pay 300+ for a piece of hardware thats going to die after 600 charges, i want the battery to be replaced. It's such a scam, I mean, I have nothing against apple but think about it. Take my experience for example:

Get ipod from the wiz (gift). The wiz promptly goes out of buisness. I notice that 2 or 3 of the pixels seem to be dead, its rather annoying. So i bring it to the apple store, they say "we cannot do anything unless it hinders the performance of the product." So im like, whatever.

1 year and a few days later I am noticing that my battery life is severely inadiquite for day to day use. I could only get about 2-3 hours MAX. Update software... yadda yadda yadda. Bring to store. After searching for about 20 mins in their records they find that I am out of warrenty.

So I'm like, what are my options. They are like, "Well, you can look online for these 'DIY' guides to replacing the battery" Im like, i dont want to do that. So they say the only thing i can do is replace it. That pisses me off. I have the old 5gb for windows model. While i didnt spend the money, 400 dollars were still payed for a piece of hardware which lasted a little over a year. I asked if I could maybe give it to them, and they could give me like 50 bucks off the sale of a new one... no beans. Meanwhile there is this kid rambling on about how his dads friend had the same problem, and they took it back no questions asked and gave him an upgraded version for a small fee. Of course the "genius bar" denys everything.

So here i sit, waiting for my birthday in 6months :(

Originally posted by Bennyb
So I'm like, what are my options. They are like, "Well, you can look online for these 'DIY' guides to replacing the battery" Im like, i dont want to do that. So they say the only thing i can do is replace it. That pisses me off. I have the old 5gb for windows model. While i didnt spend the money, 400 dollars were still payed for a piece of hardware which lasted a little over a year. I asked if I could maybe give it to them, and they could give me like 50 bucks off the sale of a new one... no beans. Meanwhile there is this kid rambling on about how his dads friend had the same problem, and they took it back no questions asked and gave him an upgraded version for a small fee. Of course the "genius bar" denys everything.

So here i sit, waiting for my birthday in 6months :(

there is a battery replacement program for iPods...costs $99 and requires a mail in of the unit...the person that had theirs replaced was probably under warranty and that makes all the difference in the world

Back