iPod/iTunes Dilemma

Acceptable_Risk

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got an iPod on it's way to me via a certain free iPod program that I'm sure you're all familiar with. Anyway. In preparation, I went and got iTunes in order to acquant myself with it so I'm ready when it gets here. The trouble is, I really don't care for it. I use Winamp for managing my music collection and I don't really care for iTunes attempting to take over all of my media duties. Whatmore, I simply cannot tolerate Quicktime. Are there any iTunes alternatives that work well for PC? Can I get away with not having to have iTunes installed at all?

Yes there are alternatives, like EPHpod and what not... But seriously, just use itunes just for your ipod, and winamp for just listening to music. Seriously, it will make life so much simpiler.

when you installed iTunes, there should have been two obvious checkboxes saying that you want to use iTunes as the default audio player and quicktime as the default video player. iTunes has great organization capabilities, so I'd at least suggest keeping it for that alone if you don't want to play music with it. proper ID3 tags > *

I just don't care for it. For one, it installs Quicktime which is just intolerable to me; I just can't stand having it on my machine. I don't know why. For another, it uses more than four times the resources of Winamp. I don't need it for organizing my music and I don't have any interest in Apple's music store. There's no functionality in it that I care for that Winamp doesn't give me aside from writing to the iPod. Incidentally, I found a Winamp plugin that is just the trick. It sticks a device listing for the iPod in the Winamp Media Library. It's just the kind of thing I was looking for.

Back