iPod/iPohne wifi remote?

DermicSavage

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm designing a HTPC build and have settled with an NVIDIA ION based system.

The last thing really holding me back from pulling the trigger on this system is a good remote. All the WMC remotes I see on sale have those stupid IR dongles that stick out like a sore thumb. I really want to avoid having to use one of those. I've noticed a very large array of remote apps on the appstore, but trying to test them all is kinda mind boggling.

Anyone have preferred remote apps that they use on their systems?

If you wish to use your iPhone as a remote through your home wireless, there's a couple nice apps available. I have ngRC and Air Mouse Pro installed on my iPhone and Media Center and they both work like champs.

ngRC is a free remote control app. You don't need to install anything on your iPhone. It's web based where it installs Apache Tomcat server side app on your media center. You simply access your media center's IP address using the iPhone's web browser and the remote will come up. Make a shortcut to that web page to your iPhone and viola - instant access remote app.

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/55303/251541.aspx

Air Mouse Pro cost $1.99 for the iPhone client (get it from the app store) and the server side (media center) is free. It makes your iPhone into a wireless touchpad in addition to keyboard, media control, browser control and function keys. Mine works as if it was a laptop touchpad. There's no delay or lag whatsoever. It's a very nice app and well worth the $1.99

http://www.mobileairmouse.com/

Wow, I didn't realize air mouse had all those features! This will make it so I don't even have to RDP the system to administer :D

Playing with it on my mac now and am very impressed, thanks!

ngRC is nice if it wasnt jsut browser based. if it still is as i havent looked at it for a while.

ngRC is nice if it wasnt jsut browser based. if it still is as i havent looked at it for a while.

It is. The nice thing about being browser based though is that it can be controlled from anywhere, not just your iPhone. You can use a netbook or a touchscreen tablet (JooJoo anyone?) or even Blackberry phones (I've tried my mother's Bold).

All you need to do is be on your home WiFi connection.

The only problem I have with ngRC is that it's so limited and clunky in some cases, like when you use TotalMedia or HuluDesktop.

i dont like that in order to get status updates and such the page has to relaod

Back