iPOD halts boot?

invalid_

Limp Gawd
I just got a 30g iPod w/video. Everything is great except if the ipod is connected via USB to the computer it will not boot. It will stick on the boot up splash screen of the motherboard. If I remove the ipod and do it again, it works fine. I also have a dock for the ipod and it too works fine if connected. It is precisely only if the ipod is in the dock.

Any ideas? I turned off boot up from other devices in the BIOS in case that was an issue. But no luck.

motherboard is: K8N Neo4 Plat

i've heard about a computer not booting while an ipod is connected, i don't think it's an uncommon problem.

I used to have this happen to me. I have the 60gb version. Download the iPod updater from Apple, and update your firmware. I would go with the 1/06 verison. I had quite a few problems with the most recent one. It should take care of your problem. Did for me, anyway.

FWIW, iPods aren't the only device that has caused this problem on my various systems. For example, my dad's computer would hang if he had a SmartMedia card in his USB 7-in-1 card reader. It comes down to how the motherboard BIOS handles (or doesn't handle) USB devices on boot. Many times, a BIOS update will fix this problem; MSI boards with AMD BIOS' seem particularly touchy in this regard, as I've had this problem the most with their boards.

Firemane said:
FWIW, iPods aren't the only device that has caused this problem on my various systems. For example, my dad's computer would hang if he had a SmartMedia card in his USB 7-in-1 card reader. It comes down to how the motherboard BIOS handles (or doesn't handle) USB devices on boot. Many times, a BIOS update will fix this problem; MSI boards with AMD BIOS' seem particularly touchy in this regard, as I've had this problem the most with their boards.

Is not just AMD but ev ery syste, i have used my Ipod on does it, Dell inspiron 9100 laptops / dekstops - AMD and Intel old and new.

MrGuvernment said:
Is not just AMD but ev ery syste, i have used my Ipod on does it, Dell inspiron 9100 laptops / dekstops - AMD and Intel old and new.
Agreed, just using AMD BIOS as an example.:)

my gf's computer does this also, it was an asus a7n8x board and xp cpu, now its the wonderful 80 dollar frys combo board and cpu (sempron 63 3100 and ecs nforce 3 mb) that does it also.

It's USB 2.0, not the device.

It's because you can boot off USB 2.0. Anything that is a storage device, and is plugged in to the USB ports when booting, will cause your computer to hang because it's searching that device to boot from.

You have to unplug any USB drives when booting.

Back