iPod earphones

dmikon

n00b
Can anyone who owns an iPod tell me how good the original earphones are? How's the clarity and bass response?

I still use mine, but I would recommend replacing them. They aren't the worst you can find, but they really aren't that great either.

My friend said it best
"The bass on the ipod headphones is like a black hole for sound"

In truth they are not THAT bad, but they are lacking some.

Some good earbuds like the Shure e5c are supposedly really nice, but they are also really expensive(more than the ipod itself).

Shure has some nice ones for about $100, too http://www.shure.com/earphones/

etymonic er-4p's work really well, better than the shures, little pricey though

i got mine for 150 used but new from amazon they are 250 (they retail for 330)

I find that they have very nice bass response, the problem is that the earphones do not make an adequate seal with your ear cannal, and a lot of the low freq. sound is lost. (If you have a pair of the earphones, you can try this by wearing them normally and then pressing them against and into your ear a little.) If you're looking to get another pair of headphones, don't bother with the Apple 'upgraded' iPod earphones-- IMO they're not worth it, as they too don't make a very good seal with your ear cannal unless you hold them into your ear. Also, they like to fall out of my ears alot.

If you haven't already, you might want to post over in the Comptuer Audio subforum, and you'll get all the responses you need. Although i have never used or seen the Etymonic ER-4P or the ER-4S, i have done a lot of drooling over them, and if you can stand to sink the cash, it would be a great investement. Hope that helps..

I bought a pair of Sony Fontopia 51s recently on Amazon for $25. So far I am happy with them. Lets just see how long they last me :)

dmikon said:
Anyone have experience with Sony 71SLs?

Yes. Like them a lot.

You can even get white one's from eBay for the fashion conscious. Although, the white one's will be available sometime in the US.

the Sony 71s are great but once the silicon buds get loose they become a pain as they fall off all the time

I use Grado SR80s with my Dell DJ, great sound quality without the need for an external amp. I do get some stange looks from people though :D Sennheiser MX550 earbuds are good, but mine kept falling out. Sennheiser PX100s are very good from what I hear. Etymonics are excellent, but they do block all outside noise.

I'd get some SHURE E2 or E3's.

I own four pair of them(1, 2, 3, 5) and they are worth it.

i just got myself a pair of these off eBay. first real replacement for the ipod standard 'phones. and $36 shipped too.

white.jpg

they make a world of difference.

sony MDR-EX71 (white of course)

fibroptikl said:
I'd get some SHURE E2 or E3's.

I own four pair of them(1, 2, 3, 5) and they are worth it.

I wish I could afford a set of the 5's...that'd be heavenly. Otherwise, the E2's are $100. They'll last a really long time and come with a good warranty and Shure is very easy to work with. They're especially good on plane rides because of how much they isolate your hearing.

As far as the original earphones...they're not bad, but if you have mp3s at any good quality you might want something of a higher quality. It really depends on you though, if you like the experience then don't change. If you want something more then check out the Shures or Etymonics.

Yeah, I got the 71s in the white version. In case anyone is interested, Best Buy is currently carrying them in white. I got the price matches to Amazon and paid $36, tax included, in the store.

They feel rather comfortable. The only thing I kind of find odd is the cord length and position. One portion, to the right headphone, goes behind your neck. Actually it's comfortable, but looks a bit odd. Another thing, the cord is either too long, or too short. These come with an extension, which is 3ft (too long, at least for me), and without it they are about 20-25", which won't even reach down to my pocket and I am 5'11".

Other than that, they seem real nice so far.

Maybe they're made to be used with a remote? I hate it when the cord isn't the right leingth though. :D

that's the thinking, to use them with a remote, but used to clip the remote to the bottom hem of my shirt. it's too short to do that, so i'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. but they sounds fucking amazing and they're really comfortable. no sore ears like the stock buds. and still yuppie white (y)

vinividivici said:
that's the thinking, to use them with a remote, but used to clip the remote to the bottom hem of my shirt. it's too short to do that, so i'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. but they sounds fucking amazing and they're really comfortable. no sore ears like the stock buds. and still yuppie white (y)
Hah, nice. How do they fit? I mean, is the fit a secure one? I might look into these if they don't fall out of my ears all the time. I'll be sure to make a post over on the Computer Audio subforum too, to see what they have to say about them.

If the 71s are anything like the 51s physically, they will stay in your ear perfectly. The 71s should come with 3 different pairs of fittings to suit different ear sizes.

they.don't.fall.out.ever.

no really, they're really amazing. nice and comfortable. i too them jogging the other day. didn't even budge. and the other nice thing (that i've come to appreciate) is that they wrap around the back of the head, so if you have to take one out, it just sits there on your shoulder.

great buy, nice and cheap, mad comfortable, still yuppie white and sound great.

if you can find them (these were used) get them, you won't be sorry.

thanks for the info, ordered a pair of 71s. Hopefully make a bit of a difference when I have them in for a long day at work.

Back