iPod 30gb, cant hear music, but can hear scroll wheel clicking

Azazel90x

2[H]4U
I just bought a iPod 30gb 5.5g used from amazon and it came in the mail yesterday, everything works great and all but i cant hear music!, i can hear the clicking when you scroll the scroll wheel, but no music whatsoever....any ideas? I could really use this help :D

Do you hear clicking in the headphones or just from the little speaker built into the iPod?

Do you hear clicking in the headphones or just from the little speaker built into the iPod?

i can hear it from both, i also hear a hissing noise too from the headphones, and it doesnt play videos, i see the video, i click on it, but all i see is a black screen and the hissing noise, thats all....im just gonna get a refund from nextworth.

If you haven't tried yet, restore it and see if that fixes the problem.

How about the volume limit in the settings menu? I would imagine that any setting in there would have been nuked when you restored it, but it's easy enough to check.

How about the volume limit in the settings menu? I would imagine that any setting in there would have been nuked when you restored it, but it's easy enough to check.

nope, volume limit is maxed out, would it likely be a hardware problem if i restored and no diff?

this may sound ridiculous, but try plugging in the headphones and then unplugging them over and over a bunch of times. Something similar happened to my iphone and this fixed it. There's a sensor that detects when headphones are removed so the ipod can pause music that's playing and it can get a bit out of whack.

ok i tried it, and the sensor appears to be working just fine, it pauses when i pull the headphones out of the port, i did it a bunch of times, but still nothing..

nope, volume limit is maxed out, would it likely be a hardware problem if i restored and no diff?

Yeah, it does sound like a hardware problem. If you have the option to return it, I'd take advantage of it. Or if you have time, maybe take it to an Apple store and see if they have any ideas.

If you installed rockbox with the same results, its unfortunately a hardware issue. Either return it, or see if an Apple store can do anything about it. The latter might cost you though.

Yea i did install rockbox and it was the same way, ima definitely return it, saves gas and its cheaper

Back