iphones in 2010

berky

2[H]4U
So, I've read that AT&T loses the exclusivity contract with Apple in 2010. Does this mean that other carriers will bid on having the contract or will it just be opened up to any carrier?

i've also read that AT&T might be trying hard to extend the contract. I can't blame them for trying, but dammit, AT&T sucks at my house (I don't have a land line).

It is all speculation at this point. As you indicate, there are stories in the press saying that AT&T is definitely on the way out, while just as many others say that Apple is sticking with AT&T. Whatever. The take away is that you shouldn't change your plans based on what might happen. Predicting this stuff is like predicting when Apple is going to release a new product. Only one guy really knows the answer, and he isn't going to tell you until right before it happens.

My $.02.

Apple loves control, so does AT&T, match made in purgatory...

I've heard rumors of a Verizon CDMA iPhone, but nothing more than an internet whim.

I'd assume a re-up though, AT&T is subsidizing the iPhone quite a bit and I don't feel like that would happen with multiple carriers. Best we can hope for is that the Android, WinMO 6.5, Sprint $70 everything plan, and bad press push AT&T to improving their network & pricing

Personally allowing it at least on Tmobile gives people options. Apple went to Verizon first and that deal fell through.

My contract is up with Tmobile in November so I can choose any carrier i want after. I hope Apple does something in order to sell the phone to few carriers, no one favors a one phone carrier idea other than ATT.

For those thinking Apple going to Tmobile with the Iphone, dont count on it, Tmobile has TERRIBLE 3g support. I am using my e71 right now and travel to downtown Philly and Suburbs, NEVER EVER get 3g. Called them and all they could say you should have it and blame it on my non tmobile brand phone. My nokia supports 4g, maybe just maybe its the phone, but i cant update the firmware right now because nokias support is shitty.

I was really thinking of switching to ATT and getting the whole family on it, but i will wait it out after November and see if a new model is released in 2010

AT&T can hardly handle the iPhone and all of the data. It needs to expand so AT&T don't fall to it's knees.

But who will they go to? Tmobile barely has 3g, switching to CDMA will take a while. There arent really that many carrier apple can just switch to in moments notice, it will have to take a while.

My contract is up with Tmobile in November so I can choose any carrier i want after. I hope Apple does something in order to sell the phone to few carriers, no one favors a one phone carrier idea other than ATT.

For those thinking Apple going to Tmobile with the Iphone, dont count on it, Tmobile has TERRIBLE 3g support. I am using my e71 right now and travel to downtown Philly and Suburbs, NEVER EVER get 3g. Called them and all they could say you should have it and blame it on my non tmobile brand phone. My nokia supports 4g, maybe just maybe its the phone, but i cant update the firmware right now because nokias support is shitty.

I was really thinking of switching to ATT and getting the whole family on it, but i will wait it out after November and see if a new model is released in 2010

Reason you're not getting Tmo 3g on the e71 is that Tmo's 3g is on the AWS 1700MHz frequency, whereas the E71 is made to work on the 850/1900MHz frequency. Tmo is also planning to move to HSDPA 7.2 by the end of 2009 and move to HSDPA 21 in 2010. Granted they are very late in the game, their amazing customer customer service and well rounded lineup of devices keeps me signed up with em.

But who will they go to? Tmobile barely has 3g, switching to CDMA will take a while. There arent really that many carrier apple can just switch to in moments notice, it will have to take a while.

T-Mobile has great 3G service, do your research and buy a phone that supports 1700/2100 and you wouldn't have that problem.

T-Mobile has great 3G service, do your research and buy a phone that supports 1700/2100 and you wouldn't have that problem.

I'm sure it's great in the places that have 3G but T-Mobile doesn't really have 3G in a lot of places in comparison to the other carriers. It was for that reason that I left them and went to AT&T.

I'm sure it's great in the places that have 3G but T-Mobile doesn't really have 3G in a lot of places in comparison to the other carriers. It was for that reason that I left them and went to AT&T.

Maybe so, but it's in all the major cities, he shouldn't have any problems in Philly and the surrounding areas getting 3G with T-Mobile and a supported phone.

how well does the iphone 3g/3gs work on tmo? my ex has a iphone she cracked the screne. I am considering snagging it from her and have it repaired.

ND40, I actually LOVED T-Mobile when I lived in NYC, but I was forced to drop it for Sprint when I moved to Philly. T-Mo in Philly is an absolute joke.

ND40, I actually LOVED T-Mobile when I lived in NYC, but I was forced to drop it for Sprint when I moved to Philly. T-Mo in Philly is an absolute joke.

Interesting, I didn't have any issues with 3G coverage with my G1 earlier this week when I was in Philly.

get an unlocked Iphone and use your Tmo sim in it..thats what i did with my first gen iphone.

I hope things change in England too.... O2 3G coverage can be a joke at times

I hope things change in England too.... O2 3G coverage can be a joke at times

Ain't that the truth, I can't even get a signal in my house unless I go upstairs. If it didn't have 802.11g, I'd be screwed.

I'm not sure who Apple would move to in the U.S. from AT&T.

T-Mobile? Meh.
Verizon? They have crazy high data rates, the most locked down software stacks, and strongly discourage (or disable) any out of network software stores / music stores. I just can't imagine Verizon allowing all the functionality that the iPhone has on AT&T on their network, because it would lead to a clear cut in revenues that Verizon gets to pocket.

As nice a network as Verizon is for telephone calls, it is really not the best network for smartphones, IMHO. They have a long history of releasing downclocked versions of HTC windows mobile phones with less RAM than GSM versions, loaded with crap software and major features like GPS disabled, and I find their data plans outrageous. People are complaining about the $30 AT&T unlimited 3G data plan for the new iPhones, but that would be like heaven compared to Verizons current data plans.

AT&T keeps lagging behind on network upgrades, Apple goes it alone with their own mobile network. BANK ON IT! ;)

It would be a smart move for apple to switch. I dont know many people who like AT&T

AT&T keeps lagging behind on network upgrades, Apple goes it alone with their own mobile network. BANK ON IT! ;)

Lol.

I could see apple wanting to expand, but with how proprietary they are and such it will take a long time to make the phones work on the different networks.

Not just CDMA vs GSM, everyone has their own way to secure the phones on the network, connect to the net etc etc.

Most phone makers just build the phones and work with the networks to customize the rom's for the different networks.

Something tells me Apple is not going to take such a hands off approach and would rather do everything themselves.

I believe they went with GSM first as most of the world is on GSM. So the radio's and internals do not have to change at all, just modify a few things for the specific networks around the globe.

The only way Apple could 'go it alone' in the U.S. is an an MVNA. It's a possibility, I suppose, but no one has ever made it big as an MVNO. Apple is in a unique position, so maybe they could do it, but I don't see the incentive or business case. Apple has surprised me in the past, though, so who knows.

Back