iPhone/Web App Idea

/usr/home

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to either make or find someone to create an app or even database for me. I'm not looking for something super fancy, just something that can easily check-in and check-out kids and keep track of their monthly hours.

Are any of you guys interested or know of where I can go for something like this? I'd like to be able to use an iPhone app or even a mobile friendly site that is easy to use with an iPhone or tablet. I easily have the resources to host the site internally and that know-how, but I'm not a programmer/designer.

What I'm thinking is having a way to add kids. You then select the kid and hit "check-in' when they arrive and "check-out" when they leave. The information can then be compiled into a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly report. Or even select a range of dates and finding the total time per child.

The key part is mobile/tablet friendly as using an Excel spreadsheet is clunky and takes a lot longer than my wife simply opening her phone and hitting the check in button.

Keep in mind that coding and deploying a functional app like this is never anywhere near as easy as it sounds. The functionality you described is relatively simple and easy to implement, but you omitted a few features necessary to make this useful in the real world. For example:

Authentication or security. With a single user on a hosted web site, you could theoretically do HTTP basic auth.

Remove / undo / management features. What if someone accidentally clicks on the wrong kid? Do you just check them back in quickly? What happens when you go to check out a kid and realize the kid was never checked in? How do you remove a kid from the list when they leave?

As such, having someone write and deploy this app for you is probably going to cost a lot more than you think it will, and you'll likely realize you need more features down the road, etc.

If you want to code it yourself, I'd recommend learning a basic framework with a strong community. Ruby on Rails has a huge community, for example, and you can find a number of tutorials for making simple web apps. Python + Flask would be my personal preference for such an app.

Doing a proper mobile app will require Objective-C experience and XCode on a Mac for your iDevice, or a bunch of Android knowledge. I'd forget that if you're just starting out.

I wouldn't be surprised if this already exists. It is a basically timecard / timesheet application for managing employee hours (kids) with clock in / out. Search the internet for timecard and timesheet apps or websites.

e.g.
http://mashable.com/2010/10/24/time-management-iphone-apps/

This is probably the best suggestion here. Unless your application has some specific requirements that can't otherwise be fulfilled by a normal time card management system, it's crazy to go out and roll your own. Don't reinvent the wheel.

Back