iPhone vs Nexus One

DarkStar02

2[H]4U
What do you guys think? As amazing as the Nexus One looks I think I'm going to have to stay with my iPhone solely because of the fact that the Nexus One only has 4GB internal memory and my iPhone's connector is much more universal (Most new car audio head units have iPod cords and I don't have an iPod).

DROID for me as its on VZW. And the storage means nothing as its expandable.

nexusone-vs-droid.jpg

I'm sorely tempted to switch from my 3GS. Urk.

Apple vs. Google is a tough, tough choice.

That graphic is a little off, at least in the number of apps, not sure how updated it is, but otherwise it's spot on.

The Nexus One will be the speed benchmark for the next iPhone, which we all know is probably coming in June.

I'm sorely tempted to switch from my 3GS. Urk.

Apple vs. Google is a tough, tough choice.

same here, im just not sure if im willing to spend $500 for a phone i may or may not like that doesnt even have 3g (att)

i guess im going to wait till it shows up in tmobile stores to check it out and see what apple brings this june in response

I'm not really excited so much about the Nexus but that's mostly because I'm more interested in seeing how things go with LTE over the next few years. imo anybody that jumps into a two-year contract for a 3G phone is an idiot. Verizon will start deploying later this year (supposedly) and AT&T will start next year. If you get a Nexus now, you're stuck until long after rollouts begin.

Also, after seeing the engadget review which shows the iPhone spanking the bejesus out of the Nexus One in a wifi website loading test, I have my doubts about Snapdragon, though a large part of me believes that it may just be a fluke. I'll hold final judgment on speed until the big time reviews start coming in.

I dont have the nexus one but I do have the Droid running android 2.1 ported from the Nexus One. It is an awesome OS. The open source platform is absolutely amazing. Its unfortunate that apple won't loosen the ropes a bit and let people have some real fun with the OS... that is without jailbreaking.

Either way who posted the connector saying the ipod is more "universal", are you smoking crack or do you need the definition of universal. The only hardware that can use the ipod connectors are apple products. However the micro-usb port that Nexus one uses is extremely universal. You will find it on many many products and more coming. I will give you, a lot of car stereo's have iphone support, but a lot of car stereos also have bluetooth with A2DP. I know mine has A2DP, USB, and ipod.

I'm not really excited so much about the Nexus but that's mostly because I'm more interested in seeing how things go with LTE over the next few years. imo anybody that jumps into a two-year contract for a 3G phone is an idiot. Verizon will start deploying later this year (supposedly) and AT&T will start next year. If you get a Nexus now, you're stuck until long after rollouts begin.

Also, after seeing the engadget review which shows the iPhone spanking the bejesus out of the Nexus One in a wifi website loading test, I have my doubts about Snapdragon, though a large part of me believes that it may just be a fluke. I'll hold final judgment on speed until the big time reviews start coming in.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/nexus-one-review/ the video is there.

Seems like a problem with Flash, because on both the Droid and the Nexus One the only things that take forever to load are the two flash banners. Will probably be fixed soon, but indeed sad

I wasn't really impressed with the Nexus One presentation. Android 2.1 looks nice, but I still don't like some of the fundamental ways Google went about designing a mobile OS, and the phone is unnecessary duplication of the horde of Android phones already available.

I don't see it as iPhone competition at all. It'll help beat down Windows Mobile and should help with Android's aim of clearing out terrible mobile OSes and software over time, but I don't think Google had the iPhone in mind when they set about asking "Why are we making this?"

By the way, am I the only person who had flashbacks to the PlaysForSure/Zune debacle when word of this phone first leaked?

The 4GB storage is a SDHC card you can swap out for larger/faster ones. I was never really impressed with the Iphone. I hope the Nexus and Android in general will continue to grow as they have been these last few months.

3GS > All(except when it comes to battery life, UGH!!!)

If they could substantially improve the battery life, it would be perfect.

While I love the idea of an alternative phone with good power and such, my iPhone has this little connector at the bottom that I have found match for off the headunit of my car, that will never happen for android phones.. I'm not giving up that convenience.

I love the Nexus One as a device, but I enjoy the conveniences of Apple's popularity like the car hookup I mentioned.

While I love the idea of an alternative phone with good power and such, my iPhone has this little connector at the bottom that I have found match for off the headunit of my car, that will never happen for android phones.. I'm not giving up that convenience.

I love the Nexus One as a device, but I enjoy the conveniences of Apple's popularity like the car hookup I mentioned.

I have a feeling the other end of the connector is a USB port into the back of your headunit, ultimately making your headunit... universal. So, getting a Mini-USB cable or whatever the HTC phones use wouldn't be impossible, or too difficult.

The way the phone actually interfaces with your headunit, that may be a different issue.

And the storage means nothing as its expandable.

The removable storage is expandable, but the internal memory (where Android's apps are installed and ran from) is a paltry 512MB and not expandable.

I have a feeling the other end of the connector is a USB port into the back of your headunit, ultimately making your headunit... universal. So, getting a Mini-USB cable or whatever the HTC phones use wouldn't be impossible, or too difficult.

The way the phone actually interfaces with your headunit, that may be a different issue.

It is a usb port, I know that, but the real draw is the headunit software that has a specific GUI for using with an iPod/iPhone that any other brand of phone or player is unable to use. I would hook up a flash drive to the same port, but what I'd get is an ugly folder based navigation menu that does not know anything about playlists etc..

It's a Pioneer F90BT, same software as the newest 'X' series as well.

The Nexus One is intriguing, but the only phone for which I'd eagerly dump my iPhone 3GS (including the $200 contract break fee) is an HTC HD2 running Android 2.1.

3GS > All(except when it comes to battery life, UGH!!!)

If they could substantially improve the battery life, it would be perfect.

Your battery is probably just old. I charge mine overnight and it rarely drops to even half by the end of the day.

Your battery is probably just old. I charge mine overnight and it rarely drops to even half by the end of the day.

You obviously dont use your phone much then. I can barely get my iPhone to last half a day on a busy day.

Its barely been six months since the 3GS was launched. Batteries don't get 'old' in six months.

Someone doesn't use their phone much! ;)

My only complaint about the iphone is its paltry batter life. I bought 5 chargers to keep around work, home, and the car because the thing can't stay charged for more than a few hours of moderate to heavy use which is pretty much everyday.

i went from an iphone > blackberry > g1 > nexus one.

nexus one was a huge upgrade from the g1, and i'm lovin it.

only complaint is the lack of a physical keyboard, but i just have to readjust myself.

im not sure about the 3gs, but its definitely faster than the 3g iphone.

I have the G1 but went to a jail broken Iphone 2.5G because of the native support for MS Exchange which I depend on. I can't believe that Google did not include this on the Nexus. I don't think that serious BlackBerry business users are going to make a switch if they don't have integrated Exchange support.

That graphic is a little off, at least in the number of apps, not sure how updated it is, but otherwise it's spot on.

The Nexus One will be the speed benchmark for the next iPhone, which we all know is probably coming in June.

Not probably, that is the iphone's product cycle...

Come on its an easy choice! An apple device (albeit very cool) or an homage to Blade Runner!? Ill take my harrison ford infused Nexus 6 device anyday :D

I was about to switch from AT&T today, but it turns out my contract expires next year. Doh! Gives me time to see what comes out a year from now. I was thinking of getting a 3GS for the wife and I, but don't know if I like the idea of another 2-year contract.

Do you all see that if you sign a new contract with tmobile, and cancel within 120days, you owe googlel 350$ AND tmobile the termination fee?

Forget that.

Termination fees are nuts. I can see the need for them to protect carriers since they subsidize phones, but geez. Isn't there a 30 day or so period to cancel? Since it counts as a service, can you cancel within 72 hours without termination fees? It used to be that way for internet service in California anyway, not sure about currently.

I'll stick with my iPhone as android devices here in Canada suck. The only thing I'd replace my iPhone with is a BB 9700.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

As of December you could still cancel your California ATT contract within 30 days.

Someone doesn't use their phone much! ;)

My only complaint about the iphone is its paltry batter life. I bought 5 chargers to keep around work, home, and the car because the thing can't stay charged for more than a few hours of moderate to heavy use which is pretty much everyday.

just wondering, is your brightnest turned all the way up? Because I use mine alot especially browsing to forums and checking my facebook, ebay, etc. and my battery last for at least 12hrs of usage before it goes to 20% battery. Brightnest is halfway, notification is on, lockinfo installed and that program that uses different wallpaper everytime you open or close a program.

just wondering, is your brightnest turned all the way up? Because I use mine alot especially browsing to forums and checking my facebook, ebay, etc. and my battery last for at least 12hrs of usage before it goes to 20% battery. Brightnest is halfway, notification is on, lockinfo installed and that program that uses different wallpaper everytime you open or close a program.

Use the auto brightness feature. Disable 3G when you know you're going to be on a long call or series of calls.

The real problem is that materials technology hasn't evolved as quickly as computing technology has, so battery life has lagged behind advances in mobile computing.

12 hours? jeez! My iPod touch doesn't even get 5. I browse here and there, play some games (2D), have notifications for one program and auto brightness

Termination fees are nuts. I can see the need for them to protect carriers since they subsidize phones, but geez. Isn't there a 30 day or so period to cancel? Since it counts as a service, can you cancel within 72 hours without termination fees? It used to be that way for internet service in California anyway, not sure about currently.

These companies are complete sadists. I don't need a cell phone bad enough to sign up for these kinds of policies. Brain cancer + ETF's, the paradox of 2,500/contract :D. The fact that these contracts get them such ridiculous profits and they still have the nads to charge us ETF without dropping the contract price for non-subsidized devices is a real embarrassment and a fuck you to the consumer.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a usb port, I know that, but the real draw is the headunit software that has a specific GUI for using with an iPod/iPhone that any other brand of phone or player is unable to use. I would hook up a flash drive to the same port, but what I'd get is an ugly folder based navigation menu that does not know anything about playlists etc..

It's a Pioneer F90BT, same software as the newest 'X' series as well.

You could pick up a refurbished/used iPod to fill the in car void. I'd say it's a pretty small sacrifice to escape Apple's walled garden (at least for your phone).

You could pick up a refurbished/used iPod to fill the in car void. I'd say it's a pretty small sacrifice to escape Apple's walled garden (at least for your phone).

nah, I like their walled garden. Integration is huge with me, and as of yet, no one does it better.

I'm actually very disappointed in the Nexus One. For something crafted by Google, I expected more. Software is certainly there, but the hardware is lacking. Moto's Droid still wins for me.

I'm actually very disappointed in the Nexus One. For something crafted by Google, I expected more. Software is certainly there, but the hardware is lacking. Moto's Droid still wins for me.
Agreed. A big meh...

Well, I can't speak for the Nexus One, but I was an iPhone 2g user for about a year and a half and switched to a G1 about 3 months ago.
As far as features go, both phones perform the task I need equally well. For me though, I love the google integration on Android. It syncs all gmail accounts, google calendars, and contacts very very nicely, go figure. Since I pretty much only use google for these things it works perfectly for me. I have no need for exchange support or anything business related, but I can see how this is a drawback for some.

My biggest thumbs up for the Android based phones is the freedom to modify the OS. With the iphone, I was always frustrated that I had to jailbreak my phone to truly customize it. Android requires a similar process to truly mod it, but with Android, what you do with your phone/OS is your business. I've got a modded Android 2.0.1 ROM loaded on my G1 right now which is extremely fast and stable. I was always expecting the day when Apple blacklisted all jailbroken phones, now I don't have to worry about it. *I doubt that would actually happen, just a little justification in my eyes.

Last edited:
Back