• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

iPhone Slippery?

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
5,955
With the launch of the iPhone right around the corner, some insiders who have had a chance to play with the phone for an extended period of time say the battery life is actually a lot better than expected, but the casing of the phone is actually very slippery. As always, this is nothing more than a rumor until we see some solid evidence.

Overall, our source found the iPhone awesome but he mentioned, as a sole negative point, that the material used on the device's case makes it feel even more slippery than the iPod and will probably require the purchase of a protective skin or case so as to avoid unintentionally dropping it.
 
Now here are my questions. If this indeed is true, who would be excited about the idea of buying a $500 dollar phone that you can't even hold onto that well?

Does this affect your thoughts as a potential buyer or are you more excited about the reports on battery life?
 
Why would anyone care about how "slippery" it is?
 
I would think a high ticket handheld device that you may have trouble holding onto might be an issue, but that's why I'm asking. ;)
 
It's not that much of an issue .. plus i guess it was safe to assume since the back is pretty much made of the same material as the 5g ipod ... but I'm assuming new cases will come out for it through decal girl which may solve the "slippery" issue.

I would get it whether it's slippery or not but since it's locked i'll probably wait till they release the international version of the phone.
 
The first thing that came to mind when I saw the headline was "maybe you should wash the Astroglide off your hands after looking at all the pr0n with it?" :D
 
"Overall, our source found the iPhone awesome" with only "a sole negative point", its "slippery". Only one minor negative finding? I would say thats an excellent, positive review!:D And thats from someone that has actually had one in their hands to test out. So much for all the 'its a piece of junk' rumors from the "uh, I'm gonna hate it 'cause its from Apple" types that have only seen pictures it to begin with (and keep hiding that iPod out of view:rolleyes: ).

Sorry, but this is gonna be bigger than the iPod for Apple. Apple stock has busted the century mark, meaning a single share of Apple stock is now market valued at over $100!, and thats before the new iPhone has even hit the shelves. In contrast, the 'all powerful' Microsoft has never even come close to that share value, their still boucing along the bottom market valued at only $30 a share. The best Microcrap has been able to come up with is Vista:eek: and we all know what a letdown that has been.

Despite what the naysayers want everyone to believe, Apple just keeps getting stronger and stronger slowly eating up more and more of the market share. Hey, you put out a good product, people will pay the money for it and your market value will show it. However, if your Microsoft and keep putting out the the buggyist software on the market (even your 'flagship' Vista:( ), your market value will also show it.

Personally, this PC is my last as is with several other foks I know that are tired of having to go to MS's Windows Update everyother week to keep their computers software running halfway decent or to avoid yet another hacker vulnerability in the poorly coded Windows software. Macs are indeed more expensive but you get what you pay for and the peace of mind my Mac owning neighbors have is worth it to me.
 
I just hope there are ways to sync with an Exchange 2007 server or I am going to have a Migraine.
 
"Overall, our source found the iPhone awesome" with only "a sole negative point", its "slippery". Only one minor negative finding? I would say thats an excellent, positive review!:D And thats from someone that has actually had one in their hands to test out. So much for all the 'its a piece of junk' rumors from the "uh, I'm gonna hate it 'cause its from Apple" types that have only seen pictures it to begin with (and keep hiding that iPod out of view:rolleyes: ).

Sorry, but this is gonna be bigger than the iPod for Apple. Apple stock has busted the century mark, meaning a single share of Apple stock is now market valued at over $100!, and thats before the new iPhone has even hit the shelves. In contrast, the 'all powerful' Microsoft has never even come close to that share value, their still boucing along the bottom market valued at only $30 a share. The best Microcrap has been able to come up with is Vista:eek: and we all know what a letdown that has been.

Despite what the naysayers want everyone to believe, Apple just keeps getting stronger and stronger slowly eating up more and more of the market share. Hey, you put out a good product, people will pay the money for it and your market value will show it. However, if your Microsoft and keep putting out the the buggyist software on the market (even your 'flagship' Vista:( ), your market value will also show it.

Personally, this PC is my last as is with several other foks I know that are tired of having to go to MS's Windows Update everyother week to keep their computers software running halfway decent or to avoid yet another hacker vulnerability in the poorly coded Windows software. Macs are indeed more expensive but you get what you pay for and the peace of mind my Mac owning neighbors have is worth it to me.

Wow, you complain about one camp attacking apple and then you load your post with a whole anti microsoft agenda.

Here is a little hint for you, not everyone who hates the iPhone loves Microsoft....
 
In contrast, the 'all powerful' Microsoft has never even come close to that share value, their still boucing along the bottom market valued at only $30 a share.
Irrelevant. Microsoft likes to keep their stock price low (so that everyday people can buy it), that's why they split it every time it gets high. Stock is 29.94 right now. They've split 3 times in 10 years. 29.94 x 2 = $59.88 x 2 = 119.76 x 2 = 239.52
So, comparatively speaking, if they never split, MS would be almost 240 a share (actually, they probably wouldn't because it's exponentially harder to drive a price higher and higher.

Microsofts' Market capitalization is 293 BILLION dollars. Which, unfortunately, seems a tad absurd.
Apples is 86. (Which seems even more absurd to me)

Why is it that microsoft's cap is so high? Well.. people can afford the stock. Want proof?

1) Microsoft has 2x the daily volume of apple.
2) the stock is 1/3 the price.

Both of these things make the stock more affordable, and more likely to trade.


Also.. your microsoft bashing left out one simple thing.
If it wasnt' for the investments into apple by MICROSOFT,
apple would NO LONGER EXIST.

Apple was BANKRUPT. They were literally on the verge of being gone forever. Then Billy swooped in and saved their asses with a cash infusion so he could say "See, they compete with me! I don't have a monopoly!" (which, imho, was bs anyhow.. there's always been alternatives to microsoft. Just not many GOOD ones)
 
Irrelevant. Microsoft likes to keep their stock price low (so that everyday people can buy it), that's why they split it every time it gets high. Stock is 29.94 right now. They've split 3 times in 10 years. 29.94 x 2 = $59.88 x 2 = 119.76 x 2 = 239.52
So, comparatively speaking, if they never split, MS would be almost 240 a share (actually, they probably wouldn't because it's exponentially harder to drive a price higher and higher.

Microsofts' Market capitalization is 293 BILLION dollars. Which, unfortunately, seems a tad absurd.
Apples is 86. (Which seems even more absurd to me)

Why is it that microsoft's cap is so high? Well.. people can afford the stock. Want proof?

1) Microsoft has 2x the daily volume of apple.
2) the stock is 1/3 the price.

Both of these things make the stock more affordable, and more likely to trade.


Also.. your microsoft bashing left out one simple thing.
If it wasnt' for the investments into apple by MICROSOFT,
apple would NO LONGER EXIST.

Apple was BANKRUPT. They were literally on the verge of being gone forever. Then Billy swooped in and saved their asses with a cash infusion so he could say "See, they compete with me! I don't have a monopoly!" (which, imho, was bs anyhow.. there's always been alternatives to microsoft. Just not many GOOD ones)

Yep, Microsoft made a ton of regular people millionares just from their stock splitting and stock options alone.... 10,000 employees to be exact.
 
If it wasnt' for the investments into apple by MICROSOFT,
apple would NO LONGER EXIST.

Ouch. Computer history, ftw.
Of course, if it wasn't for Gates ripping off Apple's idea of the GUI based operating system, would Windows even exist? Hmmm...
Seriously, there's up and down points to both camps. I just happen to see more in windows in the course of daily usage. ^_^
 
Ouch. Computer history, ftw.
Of course, if it wasn't for Gates ripping off Apple's idea of the GUI based operating system, would Windows even exist? Hmmm...
Seriously, there's up and down points to both camps. I just happen to see more in windows in the course of daily usage. ^_^

True. But I believe that gates business appetite grew the computer industry as it was today. Most people didn't know what a computer was when apple was around, when gates came in, he made sure the world knew about it and really pushed. If apple was aggressive they would be swapped in places today.
 
True. But I believe that gates business appetite grew the computer industry as it was today. Most people didn't know what a computer was when apple was around, when gates came in, he made sure the world knew about it and really pushed. If apple was aggressive they would be swapped in places today.

I whole-heartedly agree, sir. The fact is, regardless of how much Windows does or does not work, Bill Gates and Microsoft almost single-handedly placed a computer in just about every home and school in the nation.
 
<dodges the flamewar>

I think that slipperiness is a bad attribute for a handheld device. Sure, it looks nice when it's all shiny, but I am a phone user. My phone is a tool, which means that I'd rather sacrifice a bit of looks for a tool that is easier to use.

I don't see myself buying an iPhone anytime soon, since I really could care less about mp3 playback etc. Honestly, I am having a hard time finding a feature in a phone that makes me want to upgrade. I guess a decent synchronization tool would be nice, since the sync junk on my SE is a POS. However it seems that there really isn't a market for people that would like their phone to work with open-source (free-beer) software instead of Outlook/ Lotus Notes.

So yes, slipperiness is not a good attribute for a handheld device.
 
<dodges the flamewar>

I think that slipperiness is a bad attribute for a handheld device. Sure, it looks nice when it's all shiny, but I am a phone user. My phone is a tool, which means that I'd rather sacrifice a bit of looks for a tool that is easier to use.

I don't see myself buying an iPhone anytime soon, since I really could care less about mp3 playback etc. Honestly, I am having a hard time finding a feature in a phone that makes me want to upgrade. I guess a decent synchronization tool would be nice, since the sync junk on my SE is a POS. However it seems that there really isn't a market for people that would like their phone to work with open-source (free-beer) software instead of Outlook/ Lotus Notes.

So yes, slipperiness is not a good attribute for a handheld device.


I agree... I would rather prefer a tough phone.... they need to make PDA's like the ToughBook or a Maglite... I want to be able to run over it with my car and it be fine... that would go a hundred miles more than the phones we have today.

When I received my second Samsung i730 I was very happy as it was all good looking again, for the whole 24 hours I had it until I dropped the damn thing on the driveway.. messed up the face and aesthetics pretty good... .so yeah, I would rather prefer to see a rugged phone that has better reliability and lasts longer.
 
I agree... I would rather prefer a tough phone.... they need to make PDA's like the ToughBook or a Maglite...

Dude, how sweet of a marketing campaign would that be? It's like the Super Bowl commercial for real. Theft deterrent, indeed. I can KILL YOU with my phone! :D

Slipperyness would suck. I know I was really tripped out about holding my first iPod cause I thought the unholy-shiny surface would deny me my grip. Since lots of people put holders and cases on their phones anyway, I don't see that being a huge concern. Overall, kudos to Apple on their product. I sooooo want one... ^_^
 
Ouch. Computer history, ftw.
Of course, if it wasn't for Gates ripping off Apple's idea of the GUI based operating system, would Windows even exist? Hmmm...
Seriously, there's up and down points to both camps. I just happen to see more in windows in the course of daily usage. ^_^

Lets try again.
Computer history FTW

Apple didn't come up with the idea of a GUI based operating system.
Xerox/Parc did.
Get your facts straight.

Microsoft didn't "Steal" the idea from apple. They stole it from Xeroc/PARC

Lets see what Bill Gates himself had to say about the accusation by steve jobs

BILL GATES said:
No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first, and you said. "Hey that's no fair! I wanted to steal the TV set!



The fact that both Apple and Microsoft had gotten the idea of the GUI from Xerox put a major dent in Apple's lawsuit against Microsoft over the GUI several years later. Although much of The Mac OS is original, it was similar enough to the old Alto GUI to make a "look and feel" suit against Microsoft dubious.


So.
The GUI wasn't apple's Idea.
The GUI wasn't invented by apple (in fact, the gui had been in development since the 50s.. ) Steve jobs was born in 1955, so I doubt he was on the development teams.
Xeroc/PARC is notoriously credited with the first "working" GUI, known in slang as "WIMP" which stands for WINDOWS (hmmm.. where did bill get the idea from?) ICONS, MENUS, POINTER (or pointing device)


Microsoft released windows in 1985. for $9.99 I believe.
XWindows came out in 1984

1) By the time apple was founded (in 1976) xerox/parc already HAD a gui.
2) Ivan sutherland had "sketchpad" in 1963. Jobs was 8 years old.
3) "The first real-life, usable GUI appeared in Xerox’s Alto computer, which debuted in 1974 and was envisioned as a smaller, much more portable replacement for the mainframes of the time." Apple wouldn't be formed for 2 more years.
4) 5 years later (1979) apple visits PARC .. 4 years or so later, the mac comes out.


in 1977, microsoft licensed appleBasic (you know, it wasn't written by apple, right?) to apple for $21,000. This was a deal because it allowed apple to sell over a MILLION computers due to it's "killer app" status. this would be an example of how microsoft helped apple.

I stand by the fact that, although Windows 1.0 wasn't release until 1985, that, technically, microsoft had a GUI prior to that.
NLS, in - 1968 had a HYPERLINKed navigation system that used a mouse. This was the brainchild of doug englebert, the so-called "Father of the GUI"
 
The XX model sports car is likely the best car ever built. The only downside is that the steering wheel is slippery.
 
Dude, how sweet of a marketing campaign would that be? It's like the Super Bowl commercial for real. Theft deterrent, indeed. I can KILL YOU with my phone! :D

Slipperyness would suck. I know I was really tripped out about holding my first iPod cause I thought the unholy-shiny surface would deny me my grip. Since lots of people put holders and cases on their phones anyway, I don't see that being a huge concern. Overall, kudos to Apple on their product. I sooooo want one... ^_^

Waterproof would add a major bonus for me.

And if they can do a Hummer themed PDA phone, I will be all over it like flies on .. you know what I mean ;)
 
Re: CyberDeus
Yeah, I admit that's WAYY more research than I did, or would like to do. But I still think my imbedded point is valid, even under the new information.
My point was basically that since people were throwing around partial histories, it was all mildly silly to continue it. I guess I proved my own point there, eh? ;)
 
Re: CyberDeus
Yeah, I admit that's WAYY more research than I did, or would like to do. But I still think my imbedded point is valid, even under the new information.
My point was basically that since people were throwing around partial histories, it was all mildly silly to continue it. I guess I proved my own point there, eh? ;)

Except my partial history was based on valid information, and yours was not. Not until you replied did I think I need to go as in depth. The flaw with THIS reply you made was not something I had to research. It was something I ALREADY KNEW. The "research" I did was finding the information to include here that would substantiate facts already established by myself prior. Those last two paragraphs of mine that you had originally been replying to were not OPINION. They were fact. You called them into question, and then I showed you the error of your beliefs.

I think you disproved your point, actually.
Had I not elaborated, your point would have possibly been taken as valid, where it was not.




I stand by the fact that, although Windows 1.0 wasn't release until 1985, that, technically, microsoft had a GUI prior to that.
"
Clearing up this part of the statement.
Windows 1.0's precursors were in development for years, and it was "functional, but not complete" before apple made their move. Apple beat microsoft to the retail shelf, but that doesn't mean microsoft said "Wow, we never even thought about that!, lets hurry up and make something"
 
Yeah, that would be what we call a ironic coincidence there. I was trying to gracefully let you win the point, then you had to play the asshole card. Leave it at home, man.
 
Back
Top