iPhone SIM question

This is more of an AT&T question than an iPhone question but I figure a lot of iPhone users would be here and they would know. I'm looking to snag an iPhone 3G off Craigslist and was wondering if I can actually use it or not. I just upgraded and signed a new 2yr agreement with AT&T back in March and so getting one in store would probably be out of the question. If I get the iPhone from CL would I be able to just pop my current SIM in there and be good to go? If not then is there any way for me to use the phone right now without activating it in store?

If all else fails I might still grab it and hope that the day or reckoning will come sooner than later (software unlock).

In my experience with at&t phones, a SIM card is a SIM card, you take any att sim and put it in any att or unlocked phone and it will work. I've changed phones 4 times and i only had to get a new sim when i got my current phone.

The one question I have is why is the user selling it on Craigslist? Do you have to transfer their plan if they get rid of it? How are they getting out of their contract?

I think any AT&T sim will work... You may just will have to put an iphone specific data plan on your account to use the 3g. I don't know if they group them differently or not on their end.

Well for voice calls it should definately work. The 3g data plan is another thing entirely. As far as the contract, those are tied to the SIM, not the phone per se. Though the data plan is for an iphone, the SIM is what contains the info to connect to thier network and use a specific account's plan.

Do you know if you can 'insure' 3G phones? I'd hate for them to sell it to you and say it was stolen and pocket the cash. I'm a pessimist when it comes to Craigslist after apartment hunting for the last 3 months and getting no where fast :p

I've seen a few people selling their iPhone 3Gs locally for the subsidized price which I find suspicious but if I meet them in person and inspect it then I figure it would be ok. From the responses so far I'm fairly optimistic about getting one b ut still on the fence as I do send a few txts here and there and that might not be possible...

dudes its ok. i use craigslist A LOT. what they do is buy it for 300 and resell it for double the price and eaither cancel the account or stay with it. i have a 3g iphone with tmobile atm because i freaking hate atnt and its service

How'd you get it to work on Tmo? And that's what I'm referring to they aren't selling it for double the price they're selling a 16gb iPhone 3G for $300.

Do you know if you can 'insure' 3G phones? I'd hate for them to sell it to you and say it was stolen and pocket the cash. I'm a pessimist when it comes to Craigslist after apartment hunting for the last 3 months and getting no where fast :p

You can insure a phone when you buy it from t he ATT store. other than that I dont think so.
as far as checking to see if a device is stolen, only pawn shops and the police and anybody who pays for access to the local police database can check.

How'd you get it to work on Tmo? And that's what I'm referring to they aren't selling it for double the price they're selling a 16gb iPhone 3G for $300.

i unlocked it. and its like 300 bucks WITH a 2 year contract and i belive WITH a data plan. if no data plan i belive its 400 or 500, not to sure. but u still need to lock to a contract. i paid for mine about 700.

EDIT: Wait u mean they are selling it for 300 bucks on craigslist without a plan?

well this week best buy has the 8gig for $199 with a 2 year contract. i forget what the 16 was

Eh, for some reason it's flagged for removal now but a few weeks and a month or so after the launch I saw a few going for the subsidized price because people changed their minds and wanted to cancel their contracts. Now it's a rarity but it pops up sometimes. I guess I'll have to wait until a software unlock comes out and wait some more until the inflation dies down due to the unlock.

u know why it was flagged? its a scam..Lol. theres been iphone shere for 200 but then they say to pay with shipping, etc. a REAL priced 16gb iphone is about 500+ usually 600+

Yea, I emailed the guy to inquire about his definition of "unlocked" and he never responded. Scams can easily be avoided by doing business in person which is mainly what that portion of Craigslist is for.

Back