iPhone or Captivate

Blows my mind how people on the internet are totally incapable of saying "whoops, I was wrong, my bad."

Frigging amazing/hysterical

He said, "I made a mistake".

Blows my mind how people on the internet only read parts of posts, and argue points that make them look good.

Do you want to use your phone for calendar, phone, text, email? Get an Android phone.

Do you play games on your cell phone, often? Get an iPhone 4.

That's what it really comes down to. The iPhone 4 and Galaxy S both having incredible hardware and incredible screens. The deciding factor between these phone is what you'll use it for.

I very rarely play games on my phone, so I have an Android phone. I also do a lot of email, texting, and calendar work on my phone and Android's built-in apps were easier to use IMO.

Android apps I love:
Documents To Go - also on iPhone
Astro - a free, high quality file manager
Google Voice - Voice mails and text messages. No longer have to worry about changing my phone number... ever.
Mint.com - all my finances, and I mean everything, in one app
Gmail, entirely separated from the Email app, which is associated with my Exchange account
Games: Speedex 3D, Sky Force, Super Tumbler, Word Drop, Angry Birds, of course, and Sudoku

These games are all just excellent. I don't need a big collection because I play one maybe once or twice a week.

Those are actually all the apps I have. Well... I also have the "Barcode Scanner" app for QR codes, but that utility should be baked into whichever phone you buy. You will need it one day, I promise. :)

Do you want to use your phone for calendar, phone, text, email? Get an Android phone.

Wow, I must be pretty lucky. I must have gotten a special iphone since I use mine for calendar, phone, text and e-mail just fine.

Like I already said, the OP should just go to the ATT store and mess with both phones, choose the one he thinks he will like the best and try it for a few weeks. If he doesnt like it take it back and get the other. Thats what the 30 day return period is for.

Everyone has their own opinion, what I like about phone a might be what the next guy hates

I just switched from an iPhone to a Captivate, and noticed that apps that are available for both phones are more feature-rich on the Captivate. Facebook app works better, Mint works better, Shazam, etc.

And in response to Smurf's comment above, I don't know where he's getting that whole comparison of Android = text/call/calendar and iPhone = games. Both phones do both wonderfully. In fact, I've been playing a ton of games on my Captivate.

I'm certainly not an Apple zealot at all, but I'm moving from my TP2 to either an IP4 or Galaxy S. WIth a 30 day trial, I figure I don't have much to lose either way. After next year, with the next generation of phones, I might switch again. No big deal. You don't have to be married to one type of phone either way.

That's what it really comes down to. The iPhone 4 and Galaxy S both having incredible hardware and incredible screens. The deciding factor between these phone is what you'll use it for.

I very rarely play games on my phone, so I have an Android phone. I also do a lot of email, texting, and calendar work on my phone and Android's built-in apps were easier to use IMO.

Android apps I love:
Documents To Go - also on iPhone
Astro - a free, high quality file manager
Google Voice - Voice mails and text messages. No longer have to worry about changing my phone number... ever.
Mint.com - all my finances, and I mean everything, in one app
Gmail, entirely separated from the Email app, which is associated with my Exchange account
Games: Speedex 3D, Sky Force, Super Tumbler, Word Drop, Angry Birds, of course, and Sudoku

These games are all just excellent. I don't need a big collection because I play one maybe once or twice a week.

Those are actually all the apps I have. Well... I also have the "Barcode Scanner" app for QR codes, but that utility should be baked into whichever phone you buy. You will need it one day, I promise. :)

Actually, I find the iPhone just fine for calling, testing and e-mail. It's very good for getting to inbox zero since it's fast at mass-selecting messages to move or delete. That and if you value a unified inbox, it's just better than Android; I spend less time flipping between accounts.

Also, the iPhone is definitely better for media, not just games. The built-in media player apps are more advanced, and of course you're tapping into a much deeper ecosystem of apps and hardware accessories. If you need local sync, it's much faster to use iTunes (whatever you may think of it for playing music), especially since it's also backing up your phone and transferring apps.

Android's main advantages are in the online Google account system and in having apps that do go deeper, such as file managers and the Google Voice app. But anyone who tells you that you can't be very productive on an iPhone has never really used one for a significant stretch of time.

blah blah blah 10 years on the forums and I still don't read entire posts I'm replying to

lol

Also, if you're interested in alternate color profiles for S-AMOLED screens, check out the amazing work that supercurio is doing: http://project-voodoo.org/color

Unfortunately he doesn't have any real screenshots up yet, just mock-ups. His belief is that the screen is perfectly capable, but Samsung once again shows its ineptitude in software/firmware. Supposedly once his mod is done, it will correct the color balance, temperature, sharpness, and brightness. If my friend's iPhone 4 debacle with the white balance is any indication, most of these screens are fine, if only any of these OSes allowed us to calibrate it ourselves since we obviously can't trust the manufacturers to do it, I'd wager Galaxy S phones fall under this category as well.

His current holdup is that he has to make profiles for every brightness setting individually. Well, that and he is currently distracted doing some rather interesting stuff with the sound in the i9000 as well (hardware analog gain, hardware 3D effects, parametric equalizer http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=806195 )

He said, "I made a mistake".

Blows my mind how people on the internet only read parts of posts, and argue points that make them look good.

Oh, I know, but there is a way of ordering things. Saying "I messed up but you are still full of shit" isn't a real mea culpa now, is it?

Either way, the point is that no phone is perfect. Any physical hardware is liable to have something happen to it. I personally have seen no issues with any of the iPhones I've seen, nor have I seen it with any Androids that I've seen, but it can certainly happen.

People cherry picking isolated incidents to criticize either platform is ridiculous, these aren't devices with widespread and inherent hardware issues like the XBox 360 or something.

Actually, I find the iPhone just fine for calling, testing and e-mail. It's very good for getting to inbox zero since it's fast at mass-selecting messages to move or delete. That and if you value a unified inbox, it's just better than Android; I spend less time flipping between accounts.

Also, the iPhone is definitely better for media, not just games. The built-in media player apps are more advanced, and of course you're tapping into a much deeper ecosystem of apps and hardware accessories. If you need local sync, it's much faster to use iTunes (whatever you may think of it for playing music), especially since it's also backing up your phone and transferring apps.

Android's main advantages are in the online Google account system and in having apps that do go deeper, such as file managers and the Google Voice app. But anyone who tells you that you can't be very productive on an iPhone has never really used one for a significant stretch of time.

Absolutely agreed. The quality and quantity of apps, not just for entertainment but also for productivity, is greater on iOS than it is on any other mobile platform at the moment.

Also, Google Voice was approved the the iPhone a few months ago.

Also, if you're interested in alternate color profiles for S-AMOLED screens, check out the amazing work that supercurio is doing: http://project-voodoo.org/color

Unfortunately he doesn't have any real screenshots up yet, just mock-ups. His belief is that the screen is perfectly capable, but Samsung once again shows its ineptitude in software/firmware. Supposedly once his mod is done, it will correct the color balance, temperature, sharpness, and brightness. If my friend's iPhone 4 debacle with the white balance is any indication, most of these screens are fine, if only any of these OSes allowed us to calibrate it ourselves since we obviously can't trust the manufacturers to do it, I'd wager Galaxy S phones fall under this category as well.

His current holdup is that he has to make profiles for every brightness setting individually. Well, that and he is currently distracted doing some rather interesting stuff with the sound in the i9000 as well (hardware analog gain, hardware 3D effects, parametric equalizer http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=806195 )

That's cool that someone in the community has taken it upon themselves to fix this problem. I would prefer that color is properly calibrated coming out of the factory, but this is a good alternative. The main things I'd be interested in are a flattening of the contrast and desaturating of the color, as again it is IMHO needed to compensate for how contrasty AMOLED displays are, somewhat similar to how PVA and MVA LCD panels are.

Wonder if someone will go so far as to throw a colorometer on their smartphone and calibrate that way. I'm sure I'm not the first person that's thought of it.

Not sure if I can say this. I've used an iPhone 3G and currently own a Samsung Vibrant. Vibrant and Captivate are similar hardware wise. I've used them both on tmobile and the only thing was that 3G didn't work on the iPhone. I loved the Android OS a lot more then iOS due to the fact that with Android you can customize it the way you want. They got widgets, etc... Even though iOS has more apps, Android is slowly growing.

As much as I hate to admit it, the iPhone is a great piece of software/hardware. I have the iPhone 4, the second Smartphone I've owned (first was the Tilt from HTC running WinMobile 6.5), and it's really a great interface. The other phones I looked at had a much clunkier interface which was frustrating to use, the iPhone 4 is very smooth and user friendly.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I think the functionality on Android is a step above the iPhone. Additionally I also like the notification system ALOT better on Android.

My main complaint is the battery life. When I have an EVO, and I have to put a 3500 mah battery in it to come CLOSE to the battery life on an iPhone, there's a problem.

It's my single major issue with Android, and it was a big enough issue for me to dump the platform entirely.

All the functionality in the world doesn't do you a damn bit of good if the phone is dead.

My Vibrant mass selects messages just fine. There is a check box on top of the message center for doing just that. Combine that with the advanced tools and search integration and it's a breeze. As far as calling is concerned...antennagate speaks for itself. When I call people with an iPhone I'm guaranteed to lose them at least once. Unified email....I have that too. The Vibrant's stock email box unifies emails in the "Combined Accounts" interface on the settings page.

Also, the iPhone is definitely better for media
To say that the iPhone is better for media is ludicrous. The Galaxy S is a powerhouse for media. Out of the box it supports mkv, flac, ogg, etc, etc, etc. Not to mention that the screen is not only bigger but also properly formated for HD content. The iPhone's already small screen is made smaller by the huge black bars needed to view HD content. Nothing about the iPhone makes it a better media player....not a damn thing.

If you need local sync, it's much faster to use iTunes (whatever you may think of it for playing music), especially since it's also backing up your phone and transferring apps.
Android backs up your phone every time you log on to your email. Syncing is clearly superior on Android in every way simply because you're not tied to one computer and one program. Not only that but I can sync with any program on any computer because the phone shows up as removable storage.

I've owned an iPhone since shortly after they came out. After switching to Android I disagree with your statement.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I think the functionality on Android is a step above the iPhone. Additionally I also like the notification system ALOT better on Android.

My main complaint is the battery life. When I have an EVO, and I have to put a 3500 mah battery in it to come CLOSE to the battery life on an iPhone, there's a problem.

It's my single major issue with Android, and it was a big enough issue for me to dump the platform entirely.

All the functionality in the world doesn't do you a damn bit of good if the phone is dead.

Its not the operating system, its the phone manufacturers, Ive got the ATT captivate, and the battery lasts me all day with mid-heavy usage with battery life to spare!

Its not the operating system, its the phone manufacturers, Ive got the ATT captivate, and the battery lasts me all day with mid-heavy usage with battery life to spare!
He was also comparing the EVO which has horrific battery life. From everything I read the Captivate is much better in that regard. It only has an hour less talk time and 40 minutes more standby time.

He was also comparing the EVO which has horrific battery life. From everything I read the Captivate is much better in that regard. It only has an hour less talk time and 40 minutes more standby time.

I am not sure it comes down to operating system. It seems no android phone comes close to battery life compared to the iPhone 4 so far. Specifically since SAMOLED has problems with displaying white (e.g. uses a crap load of energy displaying white while significantly less displaying black) and if you browse the web a lot white tends to be the dominate color on each webpage and kills battery. Most android phones however are using gigantic batteries to overcome the overall generally low battery life.

Well, I'm using the IP4 for the last couple of days. I'm actually waiting for the 4.2 update before I jailbreak it, but so far so good. It's fast, fairly simple and i'm having a good time getting to know it and understand it's inner workings. I have no issue with it so far.

Well, I'm using the IP4 for the last couple of days. I'm actually waiting for the 4.2 update before I jailbreak it, but so far so good. It's fast, fairly simple and i'm having a good time getting to know it and understand it's inner workings. I have no issue with it so far.

yea I still use my iPhone 4 more than my Droid X. Sad sad day. All I use my droid X for is making calls because reception here is generally poor for AT&T. I like the iPhone 4 more for games, web browsing, as my music player, and texting (I love the keyboard and am used to it). Android has very few decent games in between and I do spend quite a lot of time gaming when I have 1hr - 1 1/2 hr blocks in between classes and when I am bored on the go, which is sad since its been out for a long ass time. Don't say emulators because I dont really care for them, and Robo Wars seems to me like a crappy port of the dozen good tower def games for iOS and then angry birds. Plus most phones on android has pretty bad text rendering compared to the iPhone 4, at first when I got my iPhone I didnt notice but now that I have both I notice the HUGE difference between the text sharpness and it bothers me.

yea I still use my iPhone 4 more than my Droid X. Sad sad day. All I use my droid X for is making calls because reception here is generally poor for AT&T. I like the iPhone 4 more for games, web browsing, as my music player, and texting (I love the keyboard and am used to it). Android has very few decent games in between and I do spend quite a lot of time gaming when I have 1hr - 1 1/2 hr blocks in between classes and when I am bored on the go, which is sad since its been out for a long ass time. Don't say emulators because I dont really care for them, and Robo Wars seems to me like a crappy port of the dozen good tower def games for iOS and then angry birds. Plus most phones on android has pretty bad text rendering compared to the iPhone 4, at first when I got my iPhone I didnt notice but now that I have both I notice the HUGE difference between the text sharpness and it bothers me.

I think it just comes down to user style. I'm all over emulators like a cheap suit because I enjoy the retro games from my childhood, and I don't care for a lot of the casual swipe-to-win games. But that's just me.

I totally agree on screen sharpness, the iPhone's screen is completely balls-out awesome, but after using it for a few months now I can honestly say I prefer staring at the 4.3 inch Evo screen because my face can be further away to read, and that matters to me more than clarity. Like I said, I think it's all about user's personal style. I respect the iPhone users since I've been there. I just found something else I enjoy better.

There are a couple of quirky things that are slightly irritating me on the iPhone that I'm noticing. The first is the inconsistent keyboard layout between apps like sms, web, etc. it isn't the same, but I can deal with it. I've already JB'ed the phone and started d/l'ing all kinds of stuff. Very nice and i'm enjoying a good deal of things to do. I was intending to actually try out the phone, but I think I'll keep it now. God I wish i could get an EVO for AT&T. Great phone. So is the incredible/aria. I like android a lot, but it lacks a certain polish that IOS really has in spades. I can easily tell now how Apple clearly built the OS around the hardware and nearly if not fully utilized it. Very good job I must say.

There are a couple of quirky things that are slightly irritating me on the iPhone that I'm noticing. The first is the inconsistent keyboard layout between apps like sms, web, etc. it isn't the same, but I can deal with it. I've already JB'ed the phone and started d/l'ing all kinds of stuff. Very nice and i'm enjoying a good deal of things to do. I was intending to actually try out the phone, but I think I'll keep it now. God I wish i could get an EVO for AT&T. Great phone. So is the incredible/aria. I like android a lot, but it lacks a certain polish that IOS really has in spades. I can easily tell now how Apple clearly built the OS around the hardware and nearly if not fully utilized it. Very good job I must say.

I agree, however apple seemed to drop the ball on the older models. the new iOS versions has pretty much made the older 3G inoperable. I could never really find anything I hate about the iPhone other than the reception in certain areas. But I can definitely find many things I hate about my droid X but more specifically android. Get what you enjoy or what you need, clearly I needed better reception so I went verizon and I feel shafted almost because I love the iPhone much more than any android phone. You trade one thing for another I guess and that is life.

Back