iPhone Losing Market Share to Android

Ok, the vast majority of these mean jack shit for 90% of users. My mom doesn't care if she can root her phone. There are only 2 reasons android is doing better:

1) More platforms other than AT&T
2) Cheaper options

The rest of the crap is interesting for power users that occupy these board but mean nothing for most people.

if it don mean shit for most people then how come iphone losing marketshare to android?

Like i keep saying, Apple products are only popular in the US.

That last graph is probably a typo. I run into a lot of people carrying cellphones and if that graph was 2 iphones out of every 100 cellphones, then i should be seeing a lot of them. As it is i have yet to run into anyone carrying one, so it's probably more like 2% out of that17% (or 0.34%). So it should be "World Mobile Smart Phone Market Share"

And 95% of that 2% is probably in the US.

They are loosing market share, but Apple/iPhone absolutely blows away the competition in profits..

Yes. It shows that only Americans are willing to pay for apples products. No other phone company would get away with selling a $180.00 phone for $1,000.00. Then again, apples marketing is specifically geared for the US system.

When you get something like this for just over $100 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiVtmvkHIj0 (ZTE Blade/San Fransisco) Android will continue to to take market share. But then again, what carrier would offer that phone in the US? There's no competition, it's engage the customer in a non-mutual sexual act o'clock every hours of the day (and that's why you get to download at 2megs and upload at 100kbps)

if it don mean shit for most people then how come iphone losing marketshare to android?

did you read point 1 and 2 in his post?

Let's see, 10s of devices floating around a lot that are cheaper than the iphone that can work and many different carriers vs a couple of devices that only work on ATT. I don't believe any android phone had however many preoders the iphone4 had. What was it, like 600k or something?

Yea, the average phone user doenst give a god damn about that. They want something easy to use and that looks pretty. Maybe when other phone manufacturers figure this out, they can begin to compete with the iphone on a larger scale.

I only got an iphone because of the app store. There is no reason not to go droid now. The snapdragon phones are faster, have larger screens, microsd slot, and of course the droid app store. There is also a lot of 3rd party development at xda. They already have droid for the WM6.5 HTC HD2.

They release a phone that barely works in its capacity as a phone, restricts the user to a single shitty carrier, and is a closed platform that Apple controls with an iron fist.

And it took the public this long to wake up and start going elsewhere.

They release a phone that barely works in its capacity as a phone, restricts the user to a single shitty carrier, and is a closed platform that Apple controls with an iron fist.

Agreed. If you need a phone to actually communicate...the iphone will be a huge disappointment because it's saddled on AT&T's garbage system. Sadly, many people now purchase a phone like the iphone with little or no intention of using it to speak with people. Texting won't be of any use to you if you can't get a signal...provided you never leave the city.

Please stop being a fanboy. You act as if people suddenly hate the iphone, when in fact it's probably doing better than any time in its history. It's only because android is essentially the only other viable smart phone OS that it's doing so well. I'd actually love to see what would happen if the iphone were available on all carriers. Or if android was restricted to a single carrier on 1 or 2 devices. I can say with confidence if the latter were true, I doubt it would be getting hundreds of thousands of preorders and people lining up at the store.

Face it, Apple knows what the market wants, and they deliver.

I saw an update from this year, even more charts....it was amazing, but I couldn't find it again.

Face it, Apple knows what the market wants, and they deliver.

I disagree, they simply "tell" people it's what they want. ;) Carrier aside, the iPhone is not that bad, but for me it lacks flexibility and hardware-wise there's other phones that can compete or do better.

As stated before, Apple does a very good job of marketing so the iPhone 4 is already more popular; which draws more developers and such. We already see this with specific iPhone apps and and huge head-unit support for the iPods.

The iPhone decline trend may be related to carrier, but I believe as people become more knowledgeable and tech-savvy, the iPhone is not as appealing. Even in my group of friends, which is VERY diverse, the people who have iPhones don't know or don't care about other phones and their features...they like it because it's "cool". On the other hand, the "smart" buyers actually research different options before making a final decision.

Face it, Apple knows what the how to advertise.

Its all about marketing really, I mean just look at how many people call android "droid" because of the Verison commercials for the Motorola Droid, and this is a tech site.

I have been saying this since April 2009.... check fool.com or the AOL gadget site comments :D

Android > iphone.... in terms of price and function. Apple=Android for the most part as of 2010 (fancy device with phone that doubles as a crappy laptop)

Yes. It shows that only Americans are willing to pay for apples products. No other phone company would get away with selling a $180.00 phone for $1,000.00.
There is no $1,000 iPhone in the U.S. Not on contract, on off contract. The phone itself is comparably priced to competing phones in the U.S. with AT&T's atypically healthy subsidy.

What it shows is that Americans want iPhones. Price has little to do with it.

I disagree, they simply "tell" people it's what they want. ;) Carrier aside, the iPhone is not that bad, but for me it lacks flexibility and hardware-wise there's other phones that can compete or do better.

As stated before, Apple does a very good job of marketing so the iPhone 4 is already more popular; which draws more developers and such. We already see this with specific iPhone apps and and huge head-unit support for the iPods.

The iPhone decline trend may be related to carrier, but I believe as people become more knowledgeable and tech-savvy, the iPhone is not as appealing. Even in my group of friends, which is VERY diverse, the people who have iPhones don't know or don't care about other phones and their features...they like it because it's "cool". On the other hand, the "smart" buyers actually research different options before making a final decision.

Marketing can only go so far. A good product is a prerequisite in order for marketing to be affective. If it were the case that the iphone is nothing but marketing and the product is really bad, the iphone4 wouldn't have had people lining up to buy one.

Like I said, Apple seems to get what other companies can't seem to grasp. People like pretty, easy to use devices. As good as android is, the gui still isn't as good as the iphone. Hopefully that will change with 3.0.

Marketing works very well so long as the product lives up to the hype(or at least long enough to make big early sales)...in the case of Apple people simply know the name because its everywhere. I mean, how much people line up for consoles and new games? They purchase the iPhone because they heard of it while not much people know about Android phones and, not surprisingly, quite a few presume other phones can't do what the iPhone does. The people I know with 4s never owned previous iphones except maybe 2 people...and one now uses an Android phone.

FYI, there's an Android Rom that looks like iphone's GUI.

I should mention, Apple advertises the features very well. I havent seen any Droid commercials that does that.

Why iPhone is losing to Android.

#1 iPhone is only on AT&T, and not everyone is a fan of AT&T.

#2 iPhone doesn't have a SD card slot, where every Android phone does.

#3 The proprietary connector on the iPhone is pointless, and a hassle, unless you own a lot of Apple products like iPods. Most Android phones use mini USB, or Micro-B USB. Something you'll find on your digital camera.

#4 Jailbreaking an iPhone is like a losing battle between you and Apple, but with Android once you root the phone it stays rooted.

#5 Rooting an iPhone to get the same features that Android phones already get.

#6 iPhone only has 1 button, where as Android phones have more, and a track ball.

#6 Android market is very open, and has options for more, much more applications, like browsers and emulators. Something you don't get with the iPhone market.

#7 iPhone is behind the curb, when it comes to hardware. You'll notice this in screen size, resolution, and camera.

#8 iPhones originally didn't do multitasking or MMS, but Android did.

#9 Android is based on Linux, and is open source. Open source = good. Closed source = based. That's why new Android roms eventually get to phones as old as the G1. Where as the newest iOS may not, and if so without all the features.
Most of that is untrue or irrelevant.

It'll be interesting to see where the Android vs iOS situation will be in, say, a few years with things going at this rate.

Even if, IMHO, AT&T were to not suck, I don't think it'd do much to slow the eventual takeover of the Android.

Glad to hear that the total sales from a couple dozen models of phones across 4 carriers is starting to catch up to a single phone on a single carrier.

I'm amazed that the only way to change the background image in a iPhone is to jailbreak. A basic feature that all cell phones get. So jailbreaking is important.

Unless Facebook and Twitter is your only reason for owning an iPhone, there's lot of reasons to be concerned with my list.

You don't need to jailbreak to change the background image. Good job generalizing iPhone users as Facebookers and Twitterers. I'm posting this from my iPhone and I do a shitton of other things with it. In case you didn't get the memo, almost all Android apps are ports or duplicate frok their iPhone counterparts. Try not to go off tangant too much.

As for your iPhone didn't originally come with whatever comment, hey the Android didn't originally come with Exhange support or Flash. Gosh I guess this means Android must suck too.

Right? No of course not.

I picked out a Captivate for my mother yesterday who had a Blackberry Bold 9000 prior to it, so save the sheep label, anyone who wants to throw it in my face.

Like I said, Apple seems to get what other companies can't seem to grasp. People like pretty, easy to use devices. As good as android is, the gui still isn't as good as the iphone. Hopefully that will change with 3.0.
I wouldn't say that, coming from an iphone I have to say that Android has the ui nailed compared to the iphone. It's so much easier to use I could never go back to ios. Some things are and some things aren't but as a whole Android's ui is miles ahead of the iphone IMO.

Glad to hear that the total sales from a couple dozen models of phones across 4 carriers is starting to catch up to a single phone on a single carrier.

I'm glad, too. And you know what, it's only going to get worse for AT&T and it's garbage coverage. Even without AT&T's terrible service, the Droid is still a superior device over the iphone. People are beginning to figure that out? :eek:

Back