iPhone Losing Market Share to Android

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new poll out today says that the iPhone is losing market share to Android based phones. Obviously the fact that AT&T has an exclusive on the iPhone can't help because that pits one carrier versus every other carrier in the nation. Carriers that all seem to be going Android. ;)

This is a pretty big deal for both camps. In June, according to the survey, one in every two people buying a smartphone wanted an Apple (AAPL) smartphone. Not Google. Not Microsoft (MSFT). Not Blackberry (RIMM). In effect, Apple owned the smartphone market. But launch one troubled product and suddenly things are changing.

Maybe apple will open their platform now.......well, maybe not

I can't help but think this has something to do with ATT not being the best service provider. Since Android is finally a decent smartphone OS, it is a viable alternative to those people who want a decent simple smartphone that's easy to use and has more features and apps than Blackberry. Blackberry's still rock in their own way, but they are more geared towards business users than average joe.

AT&T has much improved IMO. Im looking at getting a Windows Phone. My iPhone is a POS.

I have an iPhone 4 and next year... I don't know, I might go Android on Verizon.

Maybe in a year and a half they'll have LTE deployed in most major cities and I'll be able to get an LTE phone and be about as future-proof as I can be.

Until developers actually make more games for android I couldn't care.

No Apple has had its ups and thank to steve job being stuborn it is gonna hit them hard. Android has already made its place and other providers are not loosing anything to ATT anymore. I myself have att but I didn't even look at the iphone I got the captivate instead. I actually used to have the 3gs before but I was pretty tired of not being able to do or customize my phone the way I want.

As far as games go, just wait it will catch up.

And by the way ATT has improved by miles. I used to have them few years back and the service sucked and now at the same place I get like 3-4 bars when I only used to get1 bar to none before at my house.

That's the problem with ride the trend wave, sooner or later someone will come along and knock you off your wave.

The Android already has more "cool" factor amoung the techies. If/when this spreads to the general public Apple's going to take a big hit.

Meanwhile, with the race half over, Microsoft is still trying to find thier way out of the locker room.

And by the way ATT has improved by miles. I used to have them few years back and the service sucked and now at the same place I get like 3-4 bars when I only used to get1 bar to none before at my house.

You must be holding your phone correctly :)

Well no shit. The first real competitor to an established platform will always draw market share.

My Iphone 4 is fantabulous. haven't yet found something I can't do on it - that I'd be able to do on the Android. And I hate the name android.

I can't help but think this has something to do with ATT not being the best service provider.

Honestly, I've researched and interacted with all four major carriers, and they all have their pros and cons. Verizon has the best coverage in all the key areas but the slowest data (until LTE comes online, but that means everyone's going to need a new phone for that to really matter). AT&T has coverage issues in some major cities, but their data is fast: Even my elderly iPhone 3G gets 5Mbps on average with good signal. T-Mobile also has fast data access, but their coverage leaves a lot to be desired. Sprint is banking on Wi-Max to alleviate their coverage issues, but deployment is slow and, well, they're the only carrier using Wi-Max (even AT&T will be investing in LTE next year).

If you meant 'not the best carrier' to mean 'not the best company by business practice, customer service, or human relations', I'd like to point out that ALL American carriers have their issues. They're interested in making money which involves making deals and enacting practices without conscience of what's best for everyone.

Since Android is finally a decent smartphone OS, it is a viable alternative to those people who want a decent simple smartphone that's easy to use and has more features and apps than Blackberry. Blackberry's still rock in their own way, but they are more geared towards business users than average joe.

Android OS has been a decent smartphone OS for a while, it's only just recently achieved high visibility, with a little help from Motorola, Verizon, and good marketing of the original Droid. The original G1 was nice, but it languished in obscurity by hanging out on one of the smaller networks in the US. When Android 2.0 got pushed out with the Droid, that's when the floodgates really opened up. Now that Apple and Jobs are making one public gaffe after another, people, like myself, are looking to alternatives that live outside the ecosystem we've been wrapped up in over the last few years. I speak from experience: My Captivate is being delivered by AmazonWireless on Monday.

Also, from experience: BlackBerry OS is the absolute worst smartphone OS I've ever used (barring WP7... yes, I've already touched a few... they made me sad).

I can't help but think this has something to do with ATT not being the best service provider. Since Android is finally a decent smartphone OS, it is a viable alternative to those people who want a decent simple smartphone that's easy to use and has more features and apps than Blackberry. Blackberry's still rock in their own way, but they are more geared towards business users than average joe.

Any of the carriers would have been slammed.

ATT gets the crap for their "lousy" service. They get the profit from having the trendy device.

Solid business decision. Now if only any of the carriers or telcos would get back into the customer service game...

Why iPhone is losing to Android.

#1 iPhone is only on AT&T, and not everyone is a fan of AT&T.

#2 iPhone doesn't have a SD card slot, where every Android phone does.

#3 The proprietary connector on the iPhone is pointless, and a hassle, unless you own a lot of Apple products like iPods. Most Android phones use mini USB, or Micro-B USB. Something you'll find on your digital camera.

#4 Jailbreaking an iPhone is like a losing battle between you and Apple, but with Android once you root the phone it stays rooted.

#5 Rooting an iPhone to get the same features that Android phones already get.

#6 iPhone only has 1 button, where as Android phones have more, and a track ball.

#6 Android market is very open, and has options for more, much more applications, like browsers and emulators. Something you don't get with the iPhone market.

#7 iPhone is behind the curb, when it comes to hardware. You'll notice this in screen size, resolution, and camera.

#8 iPhones originally didn't do multitasking or MMS, but Android did.

#9 Android is based on Linux, and is open source. Open source = good. Closed source = based. That's why new Android roms eventually get to phones as old as the G1. Where as the newest iOS may not, and if so without all the features.

Why iPhone is losing to Android.

#1 iPhone is only on AT&T, and not everyone is a fan of AT&T.

#2 iPhone doesn't have a SD card slot, where every Android phone does.

#3 The proprietary connector on the iPhone is pointless, and a hassle, unless you own a lot of Apple products like iPods. Most Android phones use mini USB, or Micro-B USB. Something you'll find on your digital camera.

#4 Jailbreaking an iPhone is like a losing battle between you and Apple, but with Android once you root the phone it stays rooted.

#5 Rooting an iPhone to get the same features that Android phones already get.

#6 iPhone only has 1 button, where as Android phones have more, and a track ball.

#6 Android market is very open, and has options for more, much more applications, like browsers and emulators. Something you don't get with the iPhone market.

#7 iPhone is behind the curb, when it comes to hardware. You'll notice this in screen size, resolution, and camera.

#8 iPhones originally didn't do multitasking or MMS, but Android did.

#9 Android is based on Linux, and is open source. Open source = good. Closed source = based. That's why new Android roms eventually get to phones as old as the G1. Where as the newest iOS may not, and if so without all the features.

Ok, the vast majority of these mean jack shit for 90% of users. My mom doesn't care if she can root her phone. There are only 2 reasons android is doing better:

1) More platforms other than AT&T
2) Cheaper options

The rest of the crap is interesting for power users that occupy these board but mean nothing for most people.

I recently got a Galaxy S i9000m from Bell. This thing rocks to top it off it only cost 500 bucks vs 1000 for iphone. Now I am waiting for the Galaxy Tab and I will be in heaven.

#4 is not always true for the Android; it's possible to unroot or relock the phone.

Still waiting for Android's UI to catch up to Apple's. If/when that happens, I'll switch.

I own an Iphone 3G and it's time for an upgrade. I recently bought an Iphone 4 for my daughter and Im not really impressed with the phone other than the speed. It seems like an accident waiting to happen if it's not in a case for protection. I currently have my 3G in a showcase and it pretty duriable. I refuse to buy an Otterbox case.

Now today I received an email from BB to purchase a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate for $99 down from the normal price of $199. Until I can find a rugged case for a new phone, upgrade it out of the question.

And I don't care for the Driod name as well.

All this shows is the attractive nature of an open-source OS vs. a closed system and how you are cubby-holed into a set way of doing something. Yes, you have scores of millions of people who are on the iPhone bandwagon because they like the styling and UI of the phone. That's it. There is no great mystery to this and this is how Apple succeeds in the market. The average user does not care about hardware and they are willing to deal with the UI shortcomings of iOS. Android offers an alternative that doesn't lock a user to one brand. Multiple phones, same OS. It's simple.

Ok, the vast majority of these mean jack shit for 90% of users. My mom doesn't care if she can root her phone. There are only 2 reasons android is doing better:

1) More platforms other than AT&T
2) Cheaper options

The rest of the crap is interesting for power users that occupy these board but mean nothing for most people.

That might seem so, but behind it all is a big translation for end users.

An SD card provides unlimited storage for your device, given that you're carrying a lot of SD cards to swap out. That means movies, music, and more.

There's no point for Apple to continue to use a proprietary connector, when it just ends up connecting to a USB port. Might as well use a USB connector.

I'm amazed that the only way to change the background image in a iPhone is to jailbreak. A basic feature that all cell phones get. So jailbreaking is important.

Having only 1 button for gaming sucks. There's lots more games on the iPhone, but having 1 button, means your controls are the accelerometer. Kinda lame.

The Apple market has apps, but mostly junk. No good selection of browsers, and can't have emulators. I personally love using Skyfire and playing all my Sega Genesis games on my Android. The only way to remotely do that on the iPhone it to jailbreak it. Given that someone out there made the apps.

Unless Facebook and Twitter is your only reason for owning an iPhone, there's lot of reasons to be concerned with my list.

No surprise, the Android OS is on some pretty attractive devices. You have a big 4.3" screen, or a keyboard if onboard isn't your thing, and you can be on any network. IMO this isn't a Android vs iOS thread really, more of the devices.

I am looking forward to ditching my iphone for the first dual or quad core android phone that comes along at 1.2 GHz or better. Thanks to emulators, the Android phone will have way more games in my view. All the emulators I've used on the iPhone are pretty crappy.

There's no point for Apple to continue to use a proprietary connector, when it just ends up connecting to a USB port. Might as well use a USB connector.

The port does more than just charge/data. You can get video/audio out cables, dock with allot of stereos/control etc.

Still waiting for Android's UI to catch up to Apple's. If/when that happens, I'll switch.

This. I run a number of devices: Android, Symbian and BB. I stayed away from Apple because of the closed nature of everything that they do (and because I was waiting for a piece of hardware that 'did it' for me - this being the iPhone 4). I've never used such a well thought out device - it makes communicating so very easy. And no, I don't have any reception issues. I love my tech & I love this phone.

Wife has Droid. Brother has iphone.

They're both fine but the Droid is simply a superior device. Plus, the Droid's signal strength in rural areas dwarfs the iphone. The iphone's reception is fine so long as you're suckling the teat of a metropolitan area reception area. Out in the the country, the iphone is a useless communication device due to AT&T's weak signals.

[T5K]thrasher;1036249284 said:
The port does more than just charge/data. You can get video/audio out cables, dock with allot of stereos/control etc.

The ports on HTC phones(and maybe others) not only accept mini USB cables but also do video/audio out too if you use an HTC cable(the port is actually an "11 pin" port(12 if you include ground). It doesn't have control but just illustrates that it's still possible to create a "USB" port that includes some features of the Apple cable, which I believe adds not only control/accessory but audio-in and firewire(which is pretty unpopular). For an important portable device such as a phone I prefer something that's able to take a commonly found USB cable over the proprietary Apple cable.

I know plenty of Apple users who's who's phones died because they forgot their cable and no one else had one. This actually happened to me but with an iPod.

Considering that Apple has 4 iPhones since they were introduced a little over 3 years ago - just 4 cell phones - they've done extraordinarily well against the literal hordes of phones introduced with Android since it came out a little over 2 years ago. How many Android phones are out there? 20? 30? More?

This ain't news... it's simple math. ;)

Apple marketing>*

Also, that chart is from last year; I'm curious about the numbers for this year which is when a lot of the big Droid phones are out(i9000 Galaxy S, Droid 2/X, Incredible/EVO, Xpheria X10).

Back