iPhone is junk, please help

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
OK, I'm not even going to hide it, I hate my iPhone. Only reason I bought it was because it was the only thing of its kind when the first one came out, and after that I stuck with them because my plan was awesome.

Well, now I have a 3GS (16gb) and it's pissing me off, I'm so close to just taking this thing and shooting it. My power button on the top stopped working, so luckily since it's jailbroken (3.1.2 tether'd) I remapped the volume controls (down then up real quick) to handle the lock fuctions. Then I had to remap a combo on the home button to be the off switch.

Well, not only is my phone physically broken, its junk day to day as well. The phone can't multi-task anymore. It used to, but in the last 5 months or so it just sucks. Any time i try to do 2 things at a time it usually freezes up, and sometimes it'll crash, some times it'll stay stuck frozen. It sucks frozen because the hard reset won't work (power button is broken remember). So I'll leave it on all day and night until the battery dies (cuz Apple can't let you have access to your own F'n battery) and then plug it back in and have to black rain it again.

Well, now I can't. I tried to take a picture on the phone and now Blackain wont even bring it back. I run the app, and it shows frodo on my phone for 10 seconds, maybe 15, and then it just goes back to a black screen. I have tried a bunch of things and every time Blackrain does the same thing, looks like its gonna work, but then the phone just shuts off and I start sll oveagain.

Anyidea to make my iPhone comeback from the dead would be great, All my numbers, years of texts, vid, and like 10gigs of stuff I can't get back, I really dont wanna lose this stuff, I don't wanna lost this phone. Any help getting blackrain to work and get the phone to boot again?

Stuff dies sometimes.

Did you routinely sync/back up your iPhone in iTunes? That should create a backup of your address book, texts, apps, and other miscellaneous items (though you'd have to manually re-sync your videos and music). If you did, then this isn't a disaster, and you can just get a new phone and restore from your most recent backup.

Honestly, the button failures should have been a huge red flag to you that it was time to get a replacement.

If you were backing up to iCloud and/or a computer on iTunes you have lost nothing. Just replace the broken phone.

BTW take your broken phone to apple, pay for a out of warranty replacement for about $200 and receive a brand new phone (of the same model you have now). Even if you are burnt on apple you can still sell it and make a little money being a new perfect 3gs.

The rest of your problems I feel are jailbreaking. Restore the thing and verify all works fine and data is there, then start over with the jailbreak if you feel you must. Were you really on 3.1.2? Why?

I had to jailbreak to support the phone with no working power button. As for why I was so far behind, I've been on a deployment with the Army since Sep 2010, Just got home last month, and it went under overseas. It wasn't acting as a phone, wasn't acting as much more than an alarm clock and ipod over there lol. Never had a reason to upgrade, and never had a way to do it effectivley when I was over there.

I think I still have a backup from like 2 years ago, but the only thing I didn't hate about apple was the build quality, that phone survived a rough year in Iraq, I knew it was on the way out and It's my fault I didn't make a backup sooner, but with it crashing I never figured there would be a problem a full power cycle wouldnt fix. I never tried to stress the phone like I did when I bought it, but just taking a picture put it in this state.

Thing is, if I replace it, I'm afraid I'll lose my unlimited data at my killer price point. Plus, if I re-set the firmware, is there gonna be any process in there that's going to require restarting the phone via the power button? If so, I won't be able to unless I jailbreak again and remap the controls to the volume buttons again.

Get iExplorer. See if you can find some of your files.

Also I had a few iPhones where new or refreshed iOS installs would fix problems. Another option is to buy the replacement part of eBay and fix the broken part. If you upgrade your phone, your plan should remain the same.

Thing is, if I replace it, I'm afraid I'll lose my unlimited data at my killer price point.

If this is the AT&T unlimited data plan, you'll be grandfathered in. You won't lose it by getting a new iPhone. I've gone through two phone upgrades since they grandfathered me in. Still unlimited.

If this is the AT&T unlimited data plan, you'll be grandfathered in. You won't lose it by getting a new iPhone. I've gone through two phone upgrades since they grandfathered me in. Still unlimited.

Same here with Verizon

What happens if you go to a 4G phone? Do you lose the unlimited or does that carry over? I'm on Verizon, though.

What happens if you go to a 4G phone? Do you lose the unlimited or does that carry over? I'm on Verizon, though.

You are still grandfathered in the unlimited data when you upgrade to a 4G phone.

OK, had to do a complete re-install of the firmware and what not, somehow fell asleep during the part where it updates so I'm on 4.x something now... damn

Now I am having an issue where on my itunes on my PC and the store on the phone everything is in german (nederlands I think it said lol). I try to log in and it gives me some foreign language box, one option takes me to what I think is a email reset option, I do it but it doesnt send me anything in my email. I just want the store in english, I'm in Ohio, not halfway across the world.

Its been nothing but problems with me with these apple products. Once I get rid of this phone I can't wait to go android.

OK, had to do a complete re-install of the firmware and what not, somehow fell asleep during the part where it updates so I'm on 4.x something now… damn

Jailbreaks are available up to the current release of iOS 5.0.1. You haven't lost the ability to Jailbreak.

Now I am having an issue where on my itunes on my PC and the store on the phone everything is in german (nederlands I think it said lol). I try to log in and it gives me some foreign language box, one option takes me to what I think is a email reset option, I do it but it doesnt send me anything in my email. I just want the store in english, I'm in Ohio, not halfway across the world.

Try this.

And I haven't said it yet, but thank you for your military service.

In my experience, iPhones have a great build quality. You have a lemon and/or you damaged your phone.

Well, the phone has lasted pretty well over all, a year in the desert with convoys and shit is kinda rough on anything, like I said I don't like Apple stuff but to be fair it has held up better than most of my friends back home have had their other phones hold up.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm looking into Jailbreaking this phone so I can still lock it, hopefully in a few months I can upgrade.

There isn't a 4g iphone, and there isn't an iphone that supports true 4g networks. I really have no idea what you mean?

If you think your 3gs sucks now, install the latest iOS on it. My stuff crashes every 10 minutes and if you don't turn all the notifications off it's to slow to even use.

There isn't a 4g iphone, and there isn't an iphone that supports true 4g networks. I really have no idea what you mean?

Just another joker spamming his way to 50 posts of useless garbage so he can post in FS/FT. When you see stuff like this, the best thing you can do is report the user.

BTW take your broken phone to apple, pay for a out of warranty replacement for about $200 and receive a brand new phone (of the same model you have now). Even if you are burnt on apple you can still sell it and make a little money being a new perfect 3gs.

This. Plus, you never know when you might meet a Genius Bar employee that's having a good day. They might fix it for free. Can't hurt to ask.

Back