Iphone info needed!

Hello everyone,
I am interested in purchasing an iphone that is either unlocked or unlockable. I would like to know everything I need to know to do this correctly. I have heard that there are different versions of the iphone and firmware that are different as well as itunes being able to lock the phone. I have also heard that the apps on the iphone are also locked to AT&T even after it has been sim unlocked. Someone please clear this up for me and fill me in on what I need to do to do this properly. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is much more complicated than my usual unlocking of a nokia phone!;)

iPhones that are sold in stores right now come with 1.1.2 out of box and can not be software unlocked yet. You have to get a 1.1.1 or lower firmware versions to software unlock. However, you can use hardware "unlock" via turbosim and variants in order to use iPhone on non-ATT networks.
You heard wrong about applications, they are not locked to ATT. Once iPhone is jailbroken, you are free to add/remove 3rd party applications.

The easiest way I've found to unlock and jailbreak the 1.1.2 iPhone is to get a copy of iFuntastic. It's not free now, like $25 to unlock all the features but it's completely worth it. Tested it on a 1.1.2 phone of a coworker because she didn't want to jump through hoops with AT&T to activate and it worked flawlessly with just a few clicks.

So you can purchase the iPhone from Apple or AT&T, do the above and install whatever apps you want and use the phone on any other GSM carrier (Just t-mobile in the us). I love it when other iPhone users with locked phones see mine and ask "How did you get all those icons on your screen?" :)

...and prepare to be thoroughly laughed at if/when your iphone needs any type of service.

The easiest way I've found to unlock and jailbreak the 1.1.2 iPhone is to get a copy of iFuntastic. It's not free now, like $25 to unlock all the features but it's completely worth it. Tested it on a 1.1.2 phone of a coworker because she didn't want to jump through hoops with AT&T to activate and it worked flawlessly with just a few clicks.

So you can purchase the iPhone from Apple or AT&T, do the above and install whatever apps you want and use the phone on any other GSM carrier (Just t-mobile in the us). I love it when other iPhone users with locked phones see mine and ask "How did you get all those icons on your screen?" :)
And how do you buy the iphone without agreeing to the 2 year service agreement?

And how do you buy the iphone without agreeing to the 2 year service agreement?

you don't agree to any service agreement. it's like buying any other electronic gadget. (not sure if you buy the phone from at&t, but at an apple store, you just buy it like an ipod)

you don't agree to any service agreement. it's like buying any other electronic gadget. (not sure if you buy the phone from at&t, but at an apple store, you just buy it like an ipod)
It says on the apple site that you must agree to an AT&T 2 year agreement. Is that not the case?

Alright im pretty sure I can order an iphone without doing the 2 year agreement. Here is a new question: I have heard people say that it is possible to activate an iphone by using the sim from someone elses. It says that you take the sim out of the activated friends iphone, put it in your non activated Iphone, connect your phone to itunes and in about 60 seconds itunes will automatically activate the iphone. Then it says you just put your friends sim back in his phone and you have an activated iphone. Now does anyone know if this would affect the activation status of the friends iphone when you re insert the sim card? Or would it work the same as before except that the new iphone would now be activated?

With all due respect, why even bother if you're going to go through the whole unlock/SIM swap rigamarole?

I have an iPhone, and love it. But I certainly wouldn't tell anyone it's so awesome that it necessitates the hoops a lot of folks who don't want to sign up with ATT jump through to have one.

i havent updated my phone since 1.0.2... im scared ill brick it

+ i like my custom themes :)

The iphone does not tie you to a 2 yr contract. Until you activate it on at&t's network it is just another cool looking piece of plastic. SO if you really want to go grab one from your friendly neighborhood apple/att&t store and have whatever fun with it you want.

I now know that. But the thing is the ones sold in stores now have a new version of bootloader which prohibits unlocking the phone. Also I am still wondering if one can be activated by the method I discribed in my previous post?

I said that the new version of iFuntastic will jailbreak/unlock the 1.1.2 phones straight from the Apple store. I know, I did it.

Buy the phone, use the software to activate it and use whatever sim you want. Here is the thing though, without a stupid 2 year service agreement and AT&T overpriced iPhone plan, you can't get your phone serviced with Apple regardless of what happens to it. If that scares you, don't get the iPhone unless you want the 2 year sevice plan, a locked down phone that you can't add software to, and an ass raping $$$$ data plan.

I love my iPhone but there is no way I'd ever put up with the crap AT&T makes people go through to use it on their network.

Back