iPhone Home screen redesign?

I read a lot of people saying iOS 14 reminds them of Windows Phone UI, they saying that in a good way.

I have always liked the Windows Phone UI, with Live Tiles, and stuff. If iOS 14 looks a little bit like Windows Phone that's cool by me.

At the end of the day, smartphone OS's in general are are so alike now, there's only so much a design team can do. Make phone calls, send and receive texts, do e-mails, surf the web, use GPS navigation, play music, etc...

Seems you can't go wrong with either, I think stock vanilla Android 11 is and will be great, and it seems iOS 14 has the much needed updates and revisions a lot of people have been looking for, and iOS has come a long way.

What I like is that Apple is generally refusing to simply ape features as they're seen on other platforms. The App Library may be reminiscent of the app drawer on Android, but it's not the app drawer. Its home screen widgets may remind you of Windows Phone live tiles, but they're considerably more useful (you don't have to wait for your tiles to flip, for one thing). It's acknowledging the desire for certain changes while resisting the cries of "just make iPhones running Android." I'm curious to see if this snags more of those people who said they'd switch to an iPhone if X or Y happened.

What I like is that Apple is generally refusing to simply ape features as they're seen on other platforms. The App Library may be reminiscent of the app drawer on Android, but it's not the app drawer. Its home screen widgets may remind you of Windows Phone live tiles, but they're considerably more useful (you don't have to wait for your tiles to flip, for one thing). It's acknowledging the desire for certain changes while resisting the cries of "just make iPhones running Android." I'm curious to see if this snags more of those people who said they'd switch to an iPhone if X or Y happened.
I wouldn't mind at all if Apple aped Android's notifications. ;)

About time, but some on the Mac forums making a good pint, would be a cool option if that banner to Accept or Decline the incoming call was at the bottom not top of screen, due to phones being so large today.
Yes and no. Text messages already show up there and I like it; less intrusive. Especially if you want to let the call go to voicemail without giving the caller the FU button. Then the notification is not sitting in an obtrusive part of the screen. Plus reachability solves the issue with one quick and simple downward swipe.

I’ve been bitching about not Having the app drawer for years... so finally!!!

the widgets seems pretty good too, but that app library is the change that basically solidify my choice of going Apple.

Currently have the Pixel 4 XL, and I have to say it's pretty darn smooth and minimal UI. And no notch is nice too.

Watching all these iOS 14 videos and one thing that keeps smacking me in the head is that fucking disgusting notch these iPhone's still have. It just looks so outdated and ugly today in 2020.

The "notch" first came out in 2017, when back then a ton of Android phones had notches too, and they were just as ugly if not worse. Then Apple keeps the notch in 2018. Then they keep it yet again in 2019, and now for 2020 we may possibly get a slightly smaller notch, if not the same old nasty notch.

I had the Pixel 3 XL for one full year, and that phone had by far the ugliest worst-looking notch. People said the more you use the phone it just fades away from your brain. Yeah, no. That 3 XL notch was just so bad. The iPhone notch isn't as bad, but close.

For Apple to keep a notch 4 years in a row would be extremely disappointing. At least the Pixel 4 XL went with a forehead to not require a notch and my God it's so refreshing and nice to just see a flat screen at the top without the notch cut outs.

Plus the bezel thickness on the iPhone's X, XS, 11, etc... seem pretty thick and wide, and again dated compared to the competition.

Hopefully the iPhone 12 Pro rumors are true, smaller notch up top, and much thinner reduced bezel on sides and bottom.

I don't know if I'll bother to beta this. I did last year just to get Dark Mode as that was such a big change for my eyes it was worth it.
As 'cool' as widgets and some of the under the hood improvements are, I won't care about most of them in my day to day. It will make certain things like checking weather and activity way more seamless but as much as Android users have harped on these things, it won't actually change a majority of how I spend my time with my phone.

It will be a cool update for those that have wanted these things for a really long time.

Watching all these iOS 14 videos and one thing that keeps smacking me in the head is that fucking disgusting notch these iPhone's still have. It just looks so outdated and ugly today in 2020.

The "notch" first came out in 2017, when back then a ton of Android phones had notches too, and they were just as ugly if not worse. Then Apple keeps the notch in 2018. Then they keep it yet again in 2019, and now for 2020 we may possibly get a slightly smaller notch, if not the same old nasty notch.

I had the Pixel 3 XL for one full year, and that phone had by far the ugliest worst-looking notch. People said the more you use the phone it just fades away from your brain. Yeah, no. That 3 XL notch was just so bad. The iPhone notch isn't as bad, but close.

For Apple to keep a notch 4 years in a row would be extremely disappointing. At least the Pixel 4 XL went with a forehead to not require a notch and my God it's so refreshing and nice to just see a flat screen at the top without the notch cut outs.

Plus the bezel thickness on the iPhone's X, XS, 11, etc... seem pretty thick and wide, and again dated compared to the competition.

Hopefully the iPhone 12 Pro rumors are true, smaller notch up top, and much thinner reduced bezel on sides and bottom.
Probably focusing on the least important part of the hardware. But until it's possible to actually shrink all of the sensors in said notch that no Android phone has, then it won't be possible. Besides, you're happy with your Android phone and even if iPhones literally printed money you wouldn't want one anyway. What would be the point of Apple catering to you?

I am getting more intrigued with the iPhone since they switched to that iPhone X design and gesture navigation it does impress me.

And the rumors about the iPhone 12 Pro makes that thing sound like some absolute beast of a phone top of the line best of the best.

The notch has always been the least of my worries. I got used to it when every top tier phone had it. There are a million reasons I prefer ios over android. I switched when the iPhone XS Max came out. Currently use a 11 pro max. Battery life and stability can’t be touched. I BRIEFLY used a Pixel 4 XL provided by work. For less than 3 days. Absolutely had things I couldn’t stand and the battery life was horrendous. I now have a iPhone also for work.
All just boils down to preferences. I’m glad to see apple making these changes.

Last edited:
I am getting more intrigued with the iPhone since they switched to that iPhone X design and gesture navigation it does impress me.

And the rumors about the iPhone 12 Pro makes that thing sound like some absolute beast of a phone top of the line best of the best.
We all know how this ends. You'll get a shiny new iPhone. Then complain about software for about 3 months, then sell it. Superficial changes to the UI will not change your experience in any meaningful way. Save us all the 3 months of forum bitching and just never buy another iPhone ever again until the end of time.
If you're seriously in here complaining about a notch, that will likely remain until 2021 at which time it will only be shrunken and not gone: then clearly you can't handle being on this platform for a multitude of reasons. You're on a Pixel. You're happy. Just continue buying Google/Vanilla Android phones and be happy.

The bitch has always been the least of my worries.
Autocorrect. :ROFLMAO:
Other wise, yeah. It's personally preference.

Last edited:
We all know how this ends. You'll get a shiny new iPhone. Then complain about software for about 3 months, then sell it. Superficial changes to the UI will not change your experience in any meaningful way. Save us all the 3 months of forum bitching and just never buy another iPhone ever again until the end of time.
If you're seriously in here complaining about a notch, that will likely remain until 2021 at which time it will only be shrunken and not gone: then clearly you can't handle being on this platform for a multitude of reasons. You're on a Pixel. You're happy. Just continue buying Google/Vanilla Android phones and be happy.

Autocorrect. :ROFLMAO:
Other wise, yeah. It's personally preference.
Oh no you didn't... but you did! ;)
You triggered me to find my old post of Z's Excellent Adventure With New Phones.
Well, here it is, updated for 2020...

Prediction: Z will buy an iPhone 12 Pro Max and quickly declare it the greatest smartphone ever created.

One week later: Z will declare his surprising satisfaction with the performance of iOS 14.

One week later: Z will begin to wax longingly for the freedom and customization of Android.

One week later: Z will muse about the OnePlus 8 Pro.

One week later: Z will buy an OP 8 Pro and quickly declare it the greatest smartphone ever created, along with the thrill of being back on Android.

One week later: Z will muse about liking the OP 8 Pro, but wanting the "pure" Android experience.

One week later: Z will buy a Pixel 5XL and quickly declare it the greatest smartphone ever created, along with the thrill of being back on "pure" Android.

One week later: Z will muse about whether the 2021 iPhone and iOS 15 will incorporate some of the best features of Android, thus presenting us with the greatest smartphone ever created.

One week later: Z will post advanced speculation on the new phones on the horizon for 2021 and which will be the greatest smartphone ever created.

:D

Man you guys really get off on my old posts, huh?

Who frigging cares what I said last week or last year or 5 years ago. It's meaningless.

And my phone buying addiction stopped few years ago once they all crossed that $1,000+ mark. Plus I'm just so comfortable with the Pixel line, I only buy a new phone once a year lately. Pixel 4 XL in 2019, the 3 XL on 2018, and 2 XL in 2017. There's really no other phone out there.

Yeah I've had the shitty Scamdung and Samesuck phones in the past but I don't care what they rename their UI they still fucking below. Never buy a Galaxy phone again.

Now maybe an iPhone 12 Pro, but I'd still keep my Pixel for the stock Android itch. And maybe switch around between both. Who knows, we'll see.

It'll always be stock Google phone #1 for me for the foreseeable future, unless they totally change them for the worse. And maybe a high end iPhone Pro.

Man you guys really get off on my old posts, huh?

Who frigging cares what I said last week or last year or 5 years ago. It's meaningless.

I hope you’re not serious. Because if that’s the case I’ll just hit the ignore button on you. You’re literally saying that your word is worthless and even on your own opinions you can’t be relied upon. You’re also basically saying that literally everything you say is a troll because what you said possibly even moments ago is meaningless.

I'm not really excited about any of these future software updates, but the phone call thing certainly piques my interest a bit here as that has bit me in the ass before.

Haven't yet to really dive into any of the announcements though, been a busy time for me.

I will say iOS 13 and now 14, have made improvements to the OS that were much needed in my opinion. I do like where Apple is taking iOS these last two major updates.

The last iPhone I owned was running iOS 9 or 10. So iOS 14 in comparison seems like some great quality of life improvements.

I will say iOS 13 and now 14, have made improvements to the OS that were much needed in my opinion. I do like where Apple is taking iOS these last two major updates.

The last iPhone I owned was running iOS 9 or 10. So iOS 14 in comparison seems like some great quality of life improvements.
Cool. But what will your opinion be next week? Or the next 5 minutes?

Why put the brakes on his thoughts? If anything he actually talks about things when they've changed (for the better or worse) as well as giving a (perhaps enthusiastic) assessment instead of digging into a "camp" where the other side must be terrible. He makes his own topics oftentimes, so just avoid it if you really are that annoyed by it.

It's amusing how his priorities shift to whatever the area that's weak in his phone but that's more honest than most of the partisan tripe.

I would say that the primary reason why I don’t have a Pixel is that it was a Verizon exclusive and I’d rather get a phone on TMo’s JoD so I can have the latest generation phone. Now that the Pixel is on TMo, I will consider getting a Pixel, but this generation’s Pixel is utter crap while iPhone 11 being pretty damn good value. So I got another iPhone. I still don’t trust Samsung after the GS9 (base model) can’t even answer a phone call with how laggy it was. I may consider the GS21 or whatever it’s called next year if the GS10 doesn’t shit out in the next few months because so far it hasn’t not slowed down much.

My other issue with android phones mostly no is resale value. Considering many Android flagships phones would be half-off a month after launch, the resale value of android phones suck. If I want to quit JoD, these phones are not going to resale as well as the iPhone.

Last edited:
I thought that default apps would have allowed changes of the default map app as well, turned out that’s not true. That’s a rather big omission and he never really answered that question about the maps according to that interview

I thought that default apps would have allowed changes of the default map app as well, turned out that’s not true. That’s a rather big omission and he never really answered that question about the maps according to that interview

My guess is that Apple might want to allow more defaults, but that each change for core functions carries a bunch of different considerations (such as how Apple wants to be sure new browser defaults are actually browsers). And I suspect treating each default that way consumes a lot of time and effort. I wouldn't be surprised if you see point releases or iOS 15 expanding the range of changeable defaults.

My guess is that Apple might want to allow more defaults, but that each change for core functions carries a bunch of different considerations (such as how Apple wants to be sure new browser defaults are actually browsers). And I suspect treating each default that way consumes a lot of time and effort. I wouldn't be surprised if you see point releases or iOS 15 expanding the range of changeable defaults.
except that the map apps that everyone wants to change to is both made by the same company, Google, with Google Maps and Waze. How hard is that for Apple?

except that the map apps that everyone wants to change to is both made by the same company, Google, with Google Maps and Waze. How hard is that for Apple?

Because it also has to account for every other developer that might want to offer a maps app, and because there will likely be certain things that change when Apple can't assume its navigation tools are the default. For example, an unscrupulous developer could offer a mapping app that harvests excessive location data in the background.

Because it also has to account for every other developer that might want to offer a maps app, and because there will likely be certain things that change when Apple can't assume its navigation tools are the default. For example, an unscrupulous developer could offer a mapping app that harvests excessive location data in the background.
The last I checked, for the default mail and browser apps, Apple is only allowing a specific list of curated apps that could be used as default. This is why I am asking why Apple can’t allow google maps and Waze as the default map apps. Your argument makes zero sense, cause Apple is already curating apps that could be used as the defaults.

I’ve been using iOS 14 for about a week now. Here’s some observations.

- The app draw sucks. They did it wrong. It’s hard to find anything since it auto categorizes your apps into folders. COD mobile is a utility for some reason, so is Firefox. You can’t change it and you can’t disable it. I’d love a regular app drawer with everything in it as the default. You can scroll and get a fill app list and that’s good, I just want that and not the category stuff.

- The widgets are way too limited right now. You can only move them to 6 sectors of the screen. App still collapse around it. There’s no way to manually space out your apps. There aren’t any 3rd party widgets.

- You can’t change any default apps. There are only a couple apps you can change defaults to in the future: Browsers and Mail. I’ll start caring more when I can finally change my default maps app to google maps.

- The beta has been good so far stability wise. I only found a couple apps that aren’t compatible yet.

- It feels half baked. The coolest features seem like features you’d expect from a crappy budget phone manufacturer who had to through in things at the last second, not the “we are really late to add this feature but we did it right” that I’m used to from Apple.

I’ve been using iOS 14 for about a week now. Here’s some observations.

- The app draw sucks. They did it wrong. It’s hard to find anything since it auto categorizes your apps into folders. COD mobile is a utility for some reason, so is Firefox. You can’t change it and you can’t disable it. I’d love a regular app drawer with everything in it as the default. You can scroll and get a fill app list and that’s good, I just want that and not the category stuff.

- The widgets are way too limited right now. You can only move them to 6 sectors of the screen. App still collapse around it. There’s no way to manually space out your apps. There aren’t any 3rd party widgets.

- You can’t change any default apps. There are only a couple apps you can change defaults to in the future: Browsers and Mail. I’ll start caring more when I can finally change my default maps app to google maps.

- The beta has been good so far stability wise. I only found a couple apps that aren’t compatible yet.

- It feels half baked. The coolest features seem like features you’d expect from a crappy budget phone manufacturer who had to through in things at the last second, not the “we are really late to add this feature but we did it right” that I’m used to from Apple.

I think some of your problems with app library organization are due to the beta status of the OS -- companies haven't bothered updating their categories yet to make sure they show up properly. I do think it'd be nice if you could set the alphabetical list as the default, but I can understand why Apple wouldn't (to avoid simply duping how some Android variants do things).

For widget placement, however, I think you're going to have to live with that... at least for a while. Third-party widgets are coming, but again, it's a beta -- developers aren't going to add them until iOS 14 is officially released.

The default app situation seems to be a classic case of Apple starting out tentatively based on the most popular requests and what it believes it can properly manage with its current resources. I can see Apple allowing you to change the default mapping app in the future, but it'll take time.

Without having used the beta so far, I can't comment on the feel of the OS. Patience seems to be a virtue here, though, as it sounds like at least a few of your gripes can or will be addressed by September.

Been using the new update for a few days, it’s pretty good, haven’t used most of the newness but I’m not a fan of the new News layout. I much preferred the old one.

Back