iPhone GSM and CDMA models clarification

plyer3

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I know the iPhone 4 has two separate models, the GSM and CMDA. GSM will only work on GSM and CMDA on CMDA networks no matter if they're unlocked.

Now, I heard the 4s has the same bands built into one model. So an unlocked Verizon or Sprint iPhone 4s will work on AT&T or T-Mobile? I always heard you can't use them with each other, even if they're unlocked.

Then I read that the 5 works just like the 4, GSM on GSM and CMDA on CMDA only.

What about the 5s?

I've been reading and searching on google but everybody says different things. What's the correct answer for the 4s, 5, and 5s?

pretty much the 5s if you get the CDMA verizon model will work on GSM but only for 3G service. The GSM 5S will only work for GSM and a Sprint/other CDMA will only work on their network. Some weird FCC agreement for verizon.

pretty much the 5s if you get the CDMA verizon model will work on GSM but only for 3G service. The GSM 5S will only work for GSM and a Sprint/other CDMA will only work on their network. Some weird FCC agreement for verizon.

Pretty sure this isn't true.
https://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

The cmda model of A1533 has the exact same bands and frequencies of the gsm model. And its definately not anything to do with the fcc and verizon, I have a droid maxx (cdma verizon), and i can pop a tmobile sim in it and get LTE. Verizon sells most of their phones now unlocked and most newer ones work on other carriers. I have a verizon note 2 and I am using it on tmobile just fine.

The engadget review seems to support this as well.

In total, Apple will offer the device in four different SKUs, each designed for different regions and mobile operators. The widest-reaching of the bunch -- the A1453 -- supports 13 LTE bands, in addition to penta-band DC-HSPA, quad-band GSM / EDGE and even quad-band CDMA / EVDO rev. A / B. In fact, this version can technically work on all four major US LTE networks. Apple tells us this model will be sold locked on Sprint, but don't expect to see an unlocked A1453 in the US anytime soon -- that honor will go to the A1533 GSM version. The A1533 will come in GSM and CDMA flavors, and will be sold on AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. Each one will have 11 LTE bands (yes, it'll include support for all four major US LTE networks as well). Meanwhile, the A1457 is destined for Europe, while the A1530 is tailored for Asia; neither one has support for the most common US LTE bands. As a sidenote, the 5c will also be offered in four models and will support the same bands.

The 4s iphones can work on gsm and cdma networks, they are considered global phones.

https://www.apple.com/lae/iphone-4s/specs/

There is this note though:
CDMA is available only if iPhone 4s is sold and activated for use on a CDMA network.
So it may be that the cdma version works for gsm networks, but some artificial reason prevents it from being used if not originally sold for cdma to work on cdma, there is only one model so its not a technical limitation, its the same phone for both gsm and cdma.

The 5 is pretty much the same except for LTE, the gsm and cdma versions have different LTE bands so you may or may not get LTE going from cdma to gsm or the other way around, but you can still get calls, texts and 3g (not too sure if 3g on all carriers).

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP655

The 4 is cdma only or gsm only. The cdma version doesn't even have a sim slot/

BIG NOTE THOUGH: if your phone is locked to the carrier all of this is moot, your carrier would have to unlock the phone for any of this to matter.

Last edited:
So all Verizon iPhone 4s/5/5c/5s can be used on AT&T or Tmobile IF and ONLY IF they're unlocked? Or do they already come unlocked as 450 said?

I totally understand the iPhone 4 models as I've dealt with them plenty.

So basically Sprint iPhones can't be used on any other US carriers, even if unlocked? I know they can be used overseas if unlocked by Sprint.

Ive deal with AT&T phones and know they have to be unlocked by AT&T to be used on other GSM carriers. But would they would with Verizon and Sprint if unlocked as well? I've successfully tried Tmobile on unlocked 3g/3gs/4/4s/5/5s, originally locked to AT&T.

Due to the spectrum Verizon bought (I think the 700mhz one), they have to abide by a rule the FCC made. All phones on Verizon have to have the GSM portion unlocked.

The 5 will work anywhere in the world AFAIK, but LTE will be limited to a few areas. The 5S is the same just with more LTE bands.

What's your objective? Are you looking to use a particular carrier?

No, I help a lot of family members buy used iPhones. Have always been curious of the other carriers' iPhones as I've mainly dealt with AT&T iPhones.

Just like to know the correct answers if any of my friends/families ask me the same question as they always go to me for these kinds of questions.

Back