iPhone firmware 2.2 is out

KaosDG

[H]F Junkie
So apparently 2.2 is out

Plugged in my iPhone this AM and getting it now.

Also iTunes 8.0.3 is out as well

Updating mine now.

iPhone 2.2 Software Update

This update contains many bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
• Enhancements to Maps
- Google Street View
- public transit and walking directions
- display address of dropped pins
- share location via email
• Enhancements to Mail
- resolved isolated issues with scheduled fetching
of email
- improved formatting of wide HTML email
• Improved stability and performance of Safari
• Podcasts are now available for download in iTunes
application (over Wi-Fi and cellular network)
• Decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
• Improved sound quality of visual voicemail messages
• Pressing the Home button from any Home screen takes
you to the first Home screen
• Preference to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard
Settings

Updating mine now.

So basically we get nothing of value other then these two:

Improved stability and performance of Safari
Decrease in call set-up failures and call drops

Once again we're forced to ask these questions:

Where's our Copy and Paste?
Where's our Stereo Bluetooth support?
Where's our voice activated dialing? Say Who is a good alternative but you still need to interact with the iPhone. All my previous phones I would just tap my bluetooth headpiece and say "Call so and so."
Where's our MMS?

Oh wait...Mr. Jobs says "he knows what users really want." Well I'm telling you now Mr. Jobs I could give a crap about Google Street View. Those 4 things I listed are what I want and those four things are what many other people want as well.

Do me a favor and keep the discussion on the firmware. Off topic posts will be removed and if there are anymore, infractions will be handed out.

Once again we're forced to ask these questions:

Where's our Copy and Paste?
Where's our Stereo Bluetooth support?
Where's our voice activated dialing? Say Who is a good alternative but you still need to interact with the iPhone. All my previous phones I would just tap my bluetooth headpiece and say "Call so and so."
Where's our MMS?

Oh wait...Mr. Jobs says "he knows what users really want." Well I'm telling you now Mr. Jobs I could give a crap about Google Street View. Those 4 things I listed are what I want and those four things are what many other people want as well.

no kidding why are we still waiting for these things that should have come with the iPhone on launch, but i will say i do really like my iPhone it is the best cell phone i have ever owned and the best hand held device i have used. but i would really like to see these things come to the to the iPhone.

FYI i did the update without issue and no problems have arose with the new updates for me.

I did it around 7AM today. It's been super snappy for everything I do. The performance increase is definitely there and very much appreciated. Slow browsing makes me think "Why am I paying 100 a month for this!?!?", but not anymore! :D

I applied 2.2 to my iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Where it would previously show my iPod as a "digital camera" with 0 space on Vista, now it actually shows it as a digital camera with space, and presents my Photo Album directory as if it were a camera card flash. So I can get images off the iPod in Vista, without iTunes.

Those 4 things I listed are what I want and those four things are what many other people want as well.
Yeah, but you bought the phone knowing full well that it may never support any one of those features. So...

Updating my phone now. I haven't had a dropped call yet, though I've had some occasional failures placing calls and occasional crashes in Safari, so I'm hopeful this update addresses both for me.

I was hoping for copy & paste myself, but meh.

iTunes 8.0.2 ;D

Also, if you have a 2G phone and you *update* to 2.2, your unlock will stay, but if you *restore* to 2.2; you will lose your unlock.

If you have a jailbroken phone 2G or 3G, updating will remove your jailbreak until the next version of the appropriate tools are released.

If you have a 3G phone and you have successfully kept away from baseband updates with the intention of unlocking your phone via software, then do not update until the new tools are released that will allow the update to be stripped of the baseband update.

Question/comment though:

What does bug me though is that the baseband update is what's caused some commotion in the past, with the weird connections and dropped calls, and only with the updates were those fixed, but all these people with who will be unlocking their phones will not have those updates which was said to conflict somehow on the network and caused the issues not just for their phone, but for other peoples phones... I wish there was some way to implement the updated code into the current baseband and fix those issues for everyone's phones.

I'm a AT&T subscriber so have just been using the official updates and jailbreaking them to regain winterboard/insomnia/pdanet (only things I use from jailbreak), I have no intention of unlocking my phone ever and figure whoever buys it won't either. Dunno what the point of the last sentence was, but w/e, just a comment/thought I guess.

Ok I just updated to 2.2 and its working fine, it however delted out my jailbreak stuff, but no biggie.

Awesome, still no Push Notification.

:\

I'll be waiting for the jailbreak, so I don't lose all my custom stuff.

Whatever happened to the Flash support that had been cleared and was just waiting for Apple's approval? That was like 3 months ago.

Why is it taking eons for apple to add copy and freakin paste?? Adobe ported flash to iphone so why can't we use it? :confused:

Downlaoded the new firmware this morning and things are more peppy and have a slightly different look. I as well would like copy and paste plus push notification for programs like AIM. But this is good.

lovin' it so far, safari facelift is awesome.

also, aurora feint ii is out on the app store! 7.99 till christmas when it'll become 9.99

I have one observed instance of this update killing a 2G iPhone (not mine). Not completely bricked, but it had to get a new SIM and be re-registered. Updating my 3G now; there's an AT&T store a block away (just in case). :D

-Brian

i like the iphone and stuff.. but apple is taking forever to do simple things..

where is copy and paste.. my 5 year old sony phone has it
where is flash support

Just a FYI, the REASON why MMS is not included with the Iphone is due to a licensing issue. Basically the patent owner is holding MMS 'hostage' to apple and wants quardripple the going rate to license it for the iphone. The patent owner knows apple would sell more devices with MMS and thats why they're holding out. I believe this is similar to the reason why there is no video recorder available either (for a non-jailbroken iphone)

As for copy/paste thats gotta be just cutting corners.

MMS? I through there is mms problem on a jailbreak iphone. So is 2.2 worth for for the gen1 iphone. I mean, what does it add over 2.1 beside google streetview?

MMS? I through there is mms problem on a jailbreak iphone. So is 2.2 worth for for the gen1 iphone. I mean, what does it add over 2.1 beside google streetview?

why would you not want to update? you can still jailbreak and unlock it...

Back