IPhone eBay Schemes Not Paying Off

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you had plans to resell your iPhone and make a little cash on the deal, it looks like you are out of luck.

Spring analyzed 993 eBay listings on Sunday in compiling his report. Half the listings didn't even receive a single bidder. A few folks made decent money, but most generated paltry returns for their time in line, and a few people lost money. Nice work if you snagged an iPhone under cost because somebody forgot to set a reserve price, or simply got desperate.

Nice, but if you waited hours for the iPhone and your auction didn't even break even would you really sell the phone?

Aren't you required to if someone bid on it? Thats why there are reserve prices.

And thats what people get for trying to screw over others :p

When you don't have a lack of supply your not going to have the crazy demand like you would with the xbox 360

I actually did the iPhone scalping thing and it worked out; my bidder payed me already (highly rated bidder; phone/address are listed, real people basically) and I made a decent profit. Then again I put up every restriction eBay and Paypal let me; including only allowing accounts with Paypal accounts alreayd registered to bid (and then setting my Paypal to block all non-USD denominated accounts).

Then again, mine sold very early, before the majority of listings as I was the first in line and the store was 4 blocks from my house.

On a side note; the avg price is much higher today than it was yesterday. Supply on the West Coast is gone is why; most of the Apple stores west of the rockies are now sold out so we ahve legitimate reason for prices above retail now.

So many of those people may end up getting the last laugh if they relist.

There is a massive backlash coming against the iPhone once the honeymoon ends and people realize they've just paid too much for an overdesigned, underpowered toy. I give this product six months tops before reality sets in and it starts to fade out.

Did you guys see this link?

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages...ale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

That is comedy gold right there folks... :D

I heard on the news this morning that ATT put all sales on hold at least here in FL because the phones won't authorize and aren't working well at all. There's more bad press on them than there is hype at this point. They know that if the press destroys the rep on the phone in the first week that the phones won't ever sell.

One newsman noted that if you're listening to music and want to make a call you have to push 6 buttons...

I'll wait for gen 2 or 3 to get a similar item...

Did you guys see this link?

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages...ale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

That is comedy gold right there folks... :D

I heard on the news this morning that ATT put all sales on hold at least here in FL because the phones won't authorize and aren't working well at all. There's more bad press on them than there is hype at this point. They know that if the press destroys the rep on the phone in the first week that the phones won't ever sell.

One newsman noted that if you're listening to music and want to make a call you have to push 6 buttons...

I'll wait for gen 2 or 3 to get a similar item...

but that would be AT&T fault (anyone suprised?) not the phones fault

and that lady = lol

I would think that at this point in the game it would be hard to place the blame on either Apple or ATT, even though admittedly I'm not a big fan of either.

It could be something as simple as Apple misreporting the specs to ATT or as complex as ATT's system not being set up correctly to handle the phones.

Still, if I wasn't under contract to Sprint atm and actually had an extra $500 laying around I might try one out. I likes me gadgets.

AT&T just cant do anything right... AT&T wireless was a horrible company before it became cingular... and it will continue to be a horrible compnay as per the usual...

remember when they started porting numbers to other providers? guess who was the company that had the most issues?

I would blame AT&T before I blamed Apple. IPhone is actually pretty neat, I gotta admit to wanting to keep one. Sell my iPod and my current cell to helkp finance it.

AT&T on the other hand, couldnt figure out how to activate my CU500 onto the 3g network. The cu500 was the flagship phone for AT&T's introduction of the 3g network...

In the end it was made to work; but I had to wait 2 weeks for "someone more senior" to get back to me; turns out all of the activation issues had been on their end and I did everything correctly.

So yeah, this is def an AT&T flaw.

That being said, this phone is pricey with no rebate and forced data plan I myself iwll likely wait until gen 3 before I buy an iPhone.

All I can really say in regards to people camping out to make profit on ebay is....L-O-L

You would think these people would have learned from the whole PS3 ebay thing.

Their time in line? Are you effin kidding me? Their time in line was NOT $200+... It's pure greediness and the hope that someone stupid as hell is going to buy your product for hundreds over the buy price. I don't feel that sorry though for those people who are actually stupid enough to pay hundreds more for the item.

AT&T just cant do anything right... AT&T wireless was a horrible company before it became cingular... and it will continue to be a horrible compnay as per the usual...

remember when they started porting numbers to other providers? guess who was the company that had the most issues?

QFT

There is a risk associated with buying a product in a retail location hoping to make a profit by reselling. As such it won't work every time.

Seems I heard the same thing about the iPod...

There is a massive backlash coming against the iPhone once the honeymoon ends and people realize they've just paid too much for an overdesigned, underpowered toy. I give this product six months tops before reality sets in and it starts to fade out.

You'll hear it about anything Apple. I've yet to tell if it's just wishful thinking or not (no hating intended). Yanno, someday Apple may actually need to make computers again. :D

The iPod was (and is) the best at what it does in almost every category, plus it has the monopoly power of the iTunes service/software behind it. It has been rightly summarized by some as little more than an expensive ticket to the best digital music store on the planet and that's no small value.

The iPhone is not the best phone ever. There are many other innovative and feature-rich devices out there that have built solid market share. The interface is sexy, but my bet is that, at the end of the day, people just want a good phone with extras, not a media-player where the phone is the extra. It's too large, not ergonomically shaped for phone use, and reviews are saying that the voice quality is sub-par. The service plans are expensive and exclusive to a company that many people don't like. The gravity of its shortcomings will pull it down to earth in short order.

For those of you laughing at line campers:

I waited 3 hours in line and made a $227.68 profit.

Thats $151,000/yr.

I wish everyday was a day just like it (and Ive been paid, recvd positive feedback; its done at this point).

The problem is the people who get greedy and try to make $1800 off a $600 phone; those are usually false bids/rip offs.

Back