iPhone disciple looking to try Android...

Personally I get a new phone every year or so, I like to stay current with the best technology i can get when it comes to phones. There is always some cool new hardware feature that i want in the new version such as IR blaster, fingerprint scanner, better camera or whatever. Dont really care about OS upgrades to be honest, more often than not theyve caused my perfectly functioning phone to develop some sort of problem, sometimes major and sometimes just slightly annoying. Do these pure android nexus and motos phones ever have issues/bugs after an OS upgrade or are they flawless every time? I find it hard to believe they dont sometimes have issues as well.

Of course they can be a bit buggy, but I haven't seen anything catastrophic on the Nexuses I've used (including the 5 I have now); they've been worth any initial rough experiences. If your device maker consistently botches things so badly that you're actually afraid of getting their updates... it's time to change device makers. You shouldn't fear something that's supposed to make your phone more capable and secure.

Also, you're not exactly making a ringing endorsement for Samsung phones when you talk about your past devices (it's not clear if they're Samsung or not) sometimes becoming unusable after updates.

And yes, yearly hardware upgrades will 'solve' this problem, but you should never, ever have to do that just to get OS updates that work the way they're supposed to. That's excusing sub-par developers.

Nexus is the only Android experience that will approach iOS.

Or Moto X (or Moto G or E). Almost stock. Or at least close enough to be considered in the same sentence.

Friend has a 2nd Gen G and a 3rd Gen and compared to my Nexus 5 there is virtually NO difference. None for sure that the average user could distinguish.

Of course they can be a bit buggy, but I haven't seen anything catastrophic on the Nexuses I've used (including the 5 I have now); they've been worth any initial rough experiences. If your device maker consistently botches things so badly that you're actually afraid of getting their updates... it's time to change device makers. You shouldn't fear something that's supposed to make your phone more capable and secure.

Also, you're not exactly making a ringing endorsement for Samsung phones when you talk about your past devices (it's not clear if they're Samsung or not) sometimes becoming unusable after updates.

And yes, yearly hardware upgrades will 'solve' this problem, but you should never, ever have to do that just to get OS updates that work the way they're supposed to. That's excusing sub-par developers.

Ive had about 4 motorolas and then 3 samsungs. every device ive owned regardless of brand that had an OS update had issues afterwards, though all my friends with different devices have issues as well when ive asked them, sometimes severe and sometimes very minor, thats why i was wondering if the pure android OS nexus had them too. Seems like they were more of an OS bug affecting all devices regardless of make. Id also guess each carrier tweaks it as well so everyone isnt getting the exact same software package worldwide on all devices.

Sometimes they quickly release another patch that fixes most initial issues but they are never the same as they were when new. Fortunately my current samsung note 4 has been the least affected one so far so maybe they are improving the update process finally. :D The note 2,3 and 4 have been my only touchwiz experiences but theyve all been good, no crazy problems or lag like the edge video above except the note 2 after the OS update. Ironically the note 2 was absolutely perfect with no issues at all, able to stay powered on for 3+ months at a time without needing a reboot before the update totally borked it.

Nexus is the only Android experience that will approach iOS.

Not even a bare bones Nexus can be downgraded to iOS level. Surfing theverge.com on a $25 2013 Moto G is a much better experience than Safari on iPhone 6 that doesn't fully load and/or spins the wheel forever for some reason. Sometimes trying to scroll up/down really fast while theverge.com is still loading crashes Safari. If you're talking about scrolling the basic iOS home screen back and forth it's so stripped down and featureless that it's maybe a millisecond faster.

Last edited:
I definitely have firsthand experience with multiple bugs introduced by manufacturer/carrier updates that were not inherent to AOSP. How about clicking a contact on your recents list and actually dialing the next person down? Pretty sure Android would not be released with that bug. But a Korean/Taiwanese company with two of their worst programmers cobbling together "TouchWiz 5.6" or "Sense 8.1" for an 18-month-old device they want you to upgrade from anyway? Yeah, I can see that. And I have.

Heavy OEM skins are simply an abomination in almost every respect. From a software engineering standpoint, why in the world do we want an OS forked heavily from the source code -- not just with additions on top, but modifications beneath -- and then we expect the incompetent, small OEM software group to re-create their own beast diligently with every NEW Android version afterwards? Even if these OEMs had some of the best programmers in the mobile business, it's still a task that's almost as unmanageable as it is unwarranted and pointless.

I just got iOS 9.0.1 update to 9.0 that just came out days ago. iOS needs more frequent updates to fix basic usability bugs for a beta release and to add half working features that Android has had for years. Just for example, it's now just getting split view in almost 2016 that's more limited in functionality and device support than what Galaxy Note had in 2012. Won't even start to compare it to the more evolved Note 5 or Galaxy Tab S2.

I definitely have firsthand experience with multiple bugs introduced by manufacturer/carrier updates that were not inherent to AOSP. How about clicking a contact on your recents list and actually dialing the next person down? Pretty sure Android would not be released with that bug. But a Korean/Taiwanese company with two of their worst programmers cobbling together "TouchWiz 5.6" or "Sense 8.1" for an 18-month-old device they want you to upgrade from anyway? Yeah, I can see that. And I have.

Heavy OEM skins are simply an abomination in almost every respect. From a software engineering standpoint, why in the world do we want an OS forked heavily from the source code -- not just with additions on top, but modifications beneath -- and then we expect the incompetent, small OEM software group to re-create their own beast diligently with every NEW Android version afterwards? Even if these OEMs had some of the best programmers in the mobile business, it's still a task that's almost as unmanageable as it is unwarranted and pointless.

While your logic is correct in theory the actual interface delay in the current version of touchwiz vs stock Android is not enough to notice, especially after adjusting animation settings.

Samsung is hardly a small incompetent group, they have the largest number of units sold of any phone manufacturer, nearly 30 million more units per quarter than Apple.

By all accounts the current touchwiz version is much lighter and faster than its first few versions, perhaps you should revisit it and get a fresh perspective on it.

I thought I was your average user in the fact that I want a new phone every 2 years at the latest so I don't know or care if they quit supporting it after a few years, technology changes too fast to be stuck with the same smartphone for any longer than that anyway.

I've never had a bug like you describe calling the wrong person, the worst that I've seen is lag or random apps I'm not even using crashing for no apparent reason after os updates. Often times a factory reset and cache partition wipe after the os upgrade will improve things quite a bit.

I question just how much better is this current TouchWiz from before. While the GS6 and Note 5 isn't as horrible as GS3/GS4/GS5/Note 3/Note 4, it's not just the animation speed that makes it still lag, and to suggest that is everything you need to do is silly. If anything, Samsung's TouchWiz developers have only proven themselves to be anything but competent from the history of TouchWiz. I could argue that the only reason why TouchWiz is much better in the GS6 or the Note 5 is that the hardware is better. Has the GS5 or the Note 4 gotten the TouchWiz Natural UX 5.x update yet? Is there a reason why GS5/Note 4 is stuck on Nature UX 3.0/3.5 respectively?

And this is also another reason why TouchWiz sucks. You'll almost never get an update.

I fully intend to return to the iPhone when iOS9 is cracked or, at the latest, when the 7 launches in 2016. I'm just looking to take a detour to the dark side for a while.

Why not just buy a cheap Galaxy S3 or S4 to experiment with?
That way it will be easier to sell or keep it when it's time for the iPhone 7 release.

No need to invest in any new Android devices.

I just got iOS 9.0.1 update to 9.0 that just came out days ago. iOS needs more frequent updates to fix basic usability bugs for a beta release and to add half working features that Android has had for years. Just for example, it's now just getting split view in almost 2016 that's more limited in functionality and device support than what Galaxy Note had in 2012. Won't even start to compare it to the more evolved Note 5 or Galaxy Tab S2.

So two different companies need to do the same thing at the same time?
What would make them different if that was so?

In 2012, Apple didn't have any mobile devices large enough to do split view, so why do it?
Apple like their features to be used on all devices simultaneously, not just on the desktop one year, on the iPad the next and then on the iPhone. iOS/OSX is a package deal.

I find it hilarious that someone who uses a device known for little to no updates at all, EVER, suggests that a company who updates a device 3 to 4 times in its cycle needs to release more updates.

The guy is a hoot and a half!

In 2012, Apple didn't have any mobile devices large enough to do split view, so why do it?

That was a major blunder on their part, took them way too long to correct the problem and offer a larger screen size, cost them lots of lost sales no doubt.

I question just how much better is this current TouchWiz from before. While the GS6 and Note 5 isn't as horrible as GS3/GS4/GS5/Note 3/Note 4, it's not just the animation speed that makes it still lag, and to suggest that is everything you need to do is silly. If anything, Samsung's TouchWiz developers have only proven themselves to be anything but competent from the history of TouchWiz. I could argue that the only reason why TouchWiz is much better in the GS6 or the Note 5 is that the hardware is better. Has the GS5 or the Note 4 gotten the TouchWiz Natural UX 5.x update yet? Is there a reason why GS5/Note 4 is stuck on Nature UX 3.0/3.5 respectively?

And this is also another reason why TouchWiz sucks. You'll almost never get an update.
Couldn't say, never had Samsung back when it was bad, all I can say is that I've had no lag issues other than when the buggy os update screwed up the note 2 I had.

interesting, my note 4 doesnt have those problems, im sitting around 50% of my ram usage and apps open near instantaneous. Its most likely user error cause im pretty sure thats not normal behavior that all edge users are experiencing. He should probably learn to close his apps from time to time or maybe he has a bad app running or something to cause that kind of crazy lag.
My wife's Note edge has the same problem. Even off a fresh reboot with nothing it lags like crazy. People shouldn't have to close out apps for their phones to work, it's something the OS should do on its own. I never close out apps on my N5 or N6 and can open the multitask window, open a program, and close it faster than it takes for my wife's Note to populate the page. It was like that out of the box and is the same behavior as every Samsung phone I've ever had my hands on.

It's so bad often times I'll hit the button, wait, then hit it again because I assumed it didn't register only to have it close out because it was still processing. Samsung phones are utter garbage IMO.

My wife's Note edge has the same problem. Even off a fresh reboot with nothing it lags like crazy. People shouldn't have to close out apps for their phones to work, it's something the OS should do on its own. I never close out apps on my N5 or N6 and can open the multitask window, open a program, and close it faster than it takes for my wife's Note to populate the page. It was like that out of the box and is the same behavior as every Samsung phone I've ever had my hands on.

It's so bad often times I'll hit the button, wait, then hit it again because I assumed it didn't register only to have it close out because it was still processing. Samsung phones are utter garbage IMO.

Interesting, not sure what to tell you then. Ive never had a problem like this but I've only had the note series phones which are the best phones you can get. Not sure what would be different on the edge. Thought they were pretty similar spec wise.

Couldn't say, never had Samsung back when it was bad, all I can say is that I've had no lag issues other than when the buggy os update screwed up the note 2 I had.

I couldn't agree with this anymore. I stopped buying Apple for this reason, but seeing as they fixed essentially their only flaw I'll be going back to iOS.

Interesting, not sure what to tell you then. Ive never had a problem like this but I've only had the note series phones which are the best phones you can get. Not sure what would be different on the edge. Thought they were pretty similar spec wise.
They should be the same. My buddy had a Note then an S5....same issues on both phones. He's now on a Nexus and is realizing that these aren't Android issues. Ditching the Galaxy line was the best thing I ever did.

You are trying to mix features and bug fixes in the same argument to pull attention away that Apple actually fixes them in a timely manner. Let's face it, if there was a day one problem with a Samsung update, it would take months to fix. That's assuming they even patch it instead of waiting for the next device model.

As for features, people buy phones that have what they want. Nobody walks into a store and is like "man I really like the features of this phone... So I'm going to get this other one instead". If people want what Samsung has to offer, they would buy a Samsung device.

They should be the same. My buddy had a Note then an S5....same issues on both phones. He's now on a Nexus and is realizing that these aren't Android issues. Ditching the Galaxy line was the best thing I ever did.

Odd, what carrier? im pretty sure different carriers modify the OS as well as the device manufacturer which opens up more possibilities to bugs on certain devices with certain apps on certain carriers moreso than others. Ive switched from att to verizon and the same features/functions were not available on the same phone, in fact they actually have multiple different model number versions of the same phones based on country, carrier and region they are sold in and its highly possible these model/hardware/software differences can affect user experiences differently.

All i can say is that ive not had any significant issues with samsung in the usa on verizon or att since ive had them and the additional features/functions/spec comparison between the samsung note series phones and the nexus make samsung literally twice as good, though it does cost nearly twice as much as well so depending on your needs/wants if youre happy with the nexus or whatever thats cool and im not trying to convince you otherwise, im just saying ive not had these problems on samsung you speak of and it would be very hard for me to downgrade devices to anything else and lose all the features ive gotten used to with the note series phones. Samsung is top dog right now and has been for a while, that could change and i might switch if it does, but until then theyve been awesome devices for me and ill continue to buy them until they arent.

After some PM conversation with Zorachus, I'm going to give the Note 5 a chance to win me over to Android... at least until the iPhone 7 arrives. Z showed me some steps to root, ROM, and rid the 5 of all but the best features of TW. He posted the info in the Note 5 thread, if anyone's interested.

Thanks, Z! :):cool:

After some PM conversation with Zorachus, I'm going to give the Note 5 a chance to win me over to Android... at least until the iPhone 7 arrives. Z showed me some steps to root, ROM, and rid the 5 of all but the best features of TW. He posted the info in the Note 5 thread, if anyone's interested.

Thanks, Z! :):cool:

I still say you shoulda waited a few weeks and got the new Nexus.

^^ I would have, but need a phone with excellent battery life. I'm not crazy about the touch sensor location on the new Nexus phones, either.

While I hope that you'll keep the rooted and rom-ed Note 5 (that Darthstalker Note 5 ROM feature list looks good), I'm going to take a wild guess that you will return to Apple with an 6S after you see the benchmarks including the battery benchmarks. If you do return to Apple, let me know what you'd do with the Note 5!

So far, I'm using the iPhone more, so my battery life seems less. I went from 16GB 6 to 64GB 6S, so I could finally install more games. The biggest annoyances of the iPhone for me is that it's not as friendly to my car as Android would be (for my OBDLink device in one car and the Chevy MyLink on the other), and my Pebble Time is near useless other than having a second notification screen. But it's not enough to make me want to dump the iPhone and go back to Android. (I can deal with the MyLink by not plugging my phone into the car's built-in USB port, but my own cigarette lighter USB plug. For the OBDLink, I'll just use my HTC One M8 or Nexus 5 for whenever I want to monitor it. As for Pebble... FUCK YOU, APPLE! Not going to get an Apple Watch!)

P.S. Before I saw the benchmarks, I thought that the 6S is smooth as hell. Now that I've seen it, and see how Apple used NVMe, I kind of glad that TMo's jump! On Demand deal made me consider getting an iPhone, cause I would never have gotten it without the deal.

Last edited:
Well, I've got no problem going back home to the iPhone if the Note 5 doesn't "do it" for me. I hope I'm not disappointed. I definitely need to see some serious battery life if it's going to keep me interested. The new Moto X's lousy battery is the main reason I didn't choose it over the Note 5. I agree on that Darthstalker ROM. Looks really good. :cool:

P.S. Before I saw the benchmarks, I thought that the 6S is smooth as hell. Now that I've seen it, and see how Apple used NVMe, I kind of glad that TMo's jump! On Demand deal made me consider getting an iPhone, cause I would never have gotten it without the deal.
I'm with T-Mo too. I jumped to the Note 5 and, if dissatisfied, will waste no time jumping to a 6S+.

Back